Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

BEST 20W50 Dino Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

been using Castrol GTX in every car ive ever had and only had one failure -my n/a 944- but it used oil like crazy before the engine rebuild. Every other motor ive had has been fine even with the way i drive.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
While ZDDP is a very important part of any oil for older cars, it's not all that necessary for our cars. ZDDP really only plays a factor for flat-cam applications, such as on old 911s. Our cars are fine to run Mobil 1, even.
Sorry, I don't buy that and also have talked to a few chemical engineers and several engine builders about using M1 in our cars. I would be interested in hearing about any validated case studies that would attest to the claims you made about 911s and flat cams. Anyway, none of the professionals I mentioned above would recommend 'todays' M1 for our cars, none. For several reasons that have been talked about over and over again in all of these oil threads going on. You can chance using M1 in your car/s but you won't see me and a lot of people using it. And actually, ZDDP is very important for our cars, more so due to the age of them. I guess I would ask, why even chance using M1 when you could use better products? And not to rehash a posted thread, but, check the link below and the 'awesome' article that Ehall posted. It is post #2.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/450696-oil-what-oil.html
Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the just using the regular Valvoline conventional oil 20W50 in the white bottle for street?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 437 Likes on 315 Posts

Hmmm, I guess Ill have to contact Lucas oils, to know about zddp, etc I usually use 20w50 synthetic, with lucas oil stabilizer. Any one familiar with Lucas?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny this thread came up now. I just made the switch to Redline oil. $11 a quart for me locally, $8 if i order online... but it evens out with the shipping cost to about the same. I did alot of reading on Bobistheoilguy.com (on both the main site and the forum) and was convinced enough to make the switch away from Mobil 1 15w50 (which according to all the receipts the car has been getting since the 90's). Maybe i read into the propaganda or whatever.. but i think it was pretty convincing. Not to mention i experienced the same thing with Mobil 1 on the track...4.5bar at high RPM driving the car hard on a hot day. That seemed to be a common theme for Mobil 1 going through the Track / DE forum.

If you go through the oil sample analysis people did to the current Mobil 1 forumulations, Mobil 1 isnt too bad in terms of zinc / ZDDP content, but not great either. Redline had great #'s. Amsoil was even better, but is $15 a quart locally ($10 online). Brad Penn and Kendall had great numbers also..but that stuff is incredibly expensive.

I guess the extra $30-40 for each oil change is cheap insurance.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tone3721
Hmmm, I guess Ill have to contact Lucas oils, to know about zddp, etc I usually use 20w50 synthetic, with lucas oil stabilizer. Any one familiar with Lucas?
Im familiar with them, theyre the company that makes the display I laugh at everytime I see it, showing how ****ty their product is because it makes your oil foam up like bubble bath.

Lucas = Epic FAIL.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used Castrol 20W50 for a year in my car, then took the engine apart and it was quite clean inside.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Funny this thread came up now. I just made the switch to Redline oil. $11 a quart for me locally, $8 if i order online... but it evens out with the shipping cost to about the same. I did alot of reading on Bobistheoilguy.com (on both the main site and the forum) and was convinced enough to make the switch away from Mobil 1 15w50 (which according to all the receipts the car has been getting since the 90's). Maybe i read into the propaganda or whatever.. but i think it was pretty convincing. Not to mention i experienced the same thing with Mobil 1 on the track...4.5bar at high RPM driving the car hard on a hot day. That seemed to be a common theme for Mobil 1 going through the Track / DE forum.

If you go through the oil sample analysis people did to the current Mobil 1 forumulations, Mobil 1 isnt too bad in terms of zinc / ZDDP content, but not great either. Redline had great #'s. Amsoil was even better, but is $15 a quart locally ($10 online). Brad Penn and Kendall had great numbers also..but that stuff is incredibly expensive.

I used to use Amsoil as well and IMO it is the best oil out there, period. My second choice would be Redline which is also great, but since these excellent oils have gone up to $10 a quart, and they are not found at your local auto parts store, I'd rather get 3 quarts of VR1 for every quart of Amsoil, and since I have a street DD, it's mostly highway miles commuting to work....
Old 09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Techno Duck

Well I guess I am screwed then..I have been using M1 syn 20w/50 for over 7 years and 32k miles...and this is a BMW/Porsche dealership (Casey).

So to understand...I need a dino, moderately infused with ZDDP's or use a dino w/o sufficient ZDDP's and use an additive? What viscosity?

Thanks for smart answers to dumb questions

Cheers
Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 AM
tone3721
Drifting

Originally Posted by theedge
Im familiar with them, theyre the company that makes the display I laugh at everytime I see it, showing how ****ty their product is because it makes your oil foam up like bubble bath.

Lucas = Epic FAIL.
Wow, never seen that display. Ive seen the one, that shows the oil stabilizer coating the gears, never seen it foam tho.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/index.sd

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show
Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, never seen that display. Ive seen the one, that shows the oil stabilizer coating the gears, never seen it foam tho.

Check this out..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

LFA, i agree with what your saying. I am lucky there is a decent speed shop by me that stocks Redline. Otherwise i feel like its kinda ridiculous to have to mail order motor oil!

Personally i would just stick with the Valvoline VR1. If i wasnt already running synthetic, i would probably be using the VR1.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, go give it a few quick cranks. Foams right up, its done it at all the displays ive tried it at, so at least 6.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 AM
tone3721
Drifting

Hmmm, they claim to be "non-foaming". Ive never seen it do that, Ill have to play with it again when im in the store. The display is also for the oil stabilizer, not the high performance oil. Its been hard to find other oils in stores around town, and I live in a big town! I mean there is the usual, but 20w50 is harder to find, especially in synth. Lucas seemed to be the best I could find on the shelf. Wouldnt know where to go in Phoenix for Amsoil, Red line, etc. Mail ordering anything is always a pita.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

What about Redline oil.... I herd it has the correct amount of ZDDP.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:43 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Edit: Nevermind I was blind to this second page.....

Quick Reply: BEST 20W50 Dino Oil?