Changed Oil, fixed my oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
if you want to run synthetic you must change all your seals....unless you like leaks in most cases.
Bingo!! 'Eventually' it will happen, speaking from experience. That's my 2 pennies.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmalo810
Go to www.lnengineering.com and it will give you a clearer picture about oil and wear rates. Newer oil formulas have more calcium vs. ZDDP. Charles at LN will even analyze your oil and let you know what you need to do.
Thanks for the link. I normally do OA - through Blackstone Labs, but I haven't done it on my 951 because I'm on my first oil change since taking ownership. But even their website mentions three oils that aren't readily available to most of us.

I've been parsing through the many oil threads trying to find definitive answers to a simple question - what off-the-shelf oil has adequate protection? Within that it gets complicated; no factual information to back it up. Plus all the heresy about oil formulation changes, engine failures (with no known root cause) and emotions get in the way too.

It appears that I really only have two options - go with an oil that I have to mail order, or pick an oil and have it analyzed. It would be nice to have a decent starting point though - at least for locally available oil.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there are any seal leaks, no matter how small, the synthetic oil will find them.

Another consideration is to use a good dino oil and add a product like ZDDPlus. That is the route that I went.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:16 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmalo810
OMG Yes, another oil thread. Won't they ever end???
Lot of us are so used to running Mobil 1 and think it's God's gift to motor's longevity may think twice.
The 951 I bought from a friend of a friend is a die hard M-1 fan. I even think his John Deere runs on M-1. Supposedly the 951 had no oil leaks. Wrong!!! Got it home and long and behold a long drip line running the whole front of the power steering rack. CRAP!
Well, after reviewing and listening to Charles from LN Engineering I decided to try his plan on recommendation of dino oil in older cars. Buying a case of Brad Penn 20-50 I finally did the change. Took it out yesterday and drove it hard for over an hour. The pressure was above 4 bar under throttle and idiled at 2 plus bar. Temp was just above 1 tick on the gauge. It was an 80+ degree day too.
Parked it in a new area of the shop so I could see if there were any new or continued spits or oil. This morning after 2 cups of coffee I wondered to the shop and to my surprise... no oil drips!!!

Mobil 1 can kiss my hairy ***!!!
After a bottom end rebuild, I only use synthetic and no leaks.

But, I tried Mobile 1 syn and had numerous leaks and never used again.

So, I don;t think it is a dino/syn issue, just a Mob 1 issue.

Also, Brett (JAB Racing) works in the oil business and said a long time ago that once Exxon bought Mobile 1 things were never the same and to stay away from Mobile 1; at least for older cars.

And always 50w.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurtP
Thanks for the link. I normally do OA - through Blackstone Labs, but I haven't done it on my 951 because I'm on my first oil change since taking ownership. But even their website mentions three oils that aren't readily available to most of us.

I've been parsing through the many oil threads trying to find definitive answers to a simple question - what off-the-shelf oil has adequate protection? Within that it gets complicated; no factual information to back it up. Plus all the heresy about oil formulation changes, engine failures (with no known root cause) and emotions get in the way too.

It appears that I really only have two options - go with an oil that I have to mail order, or pick an oil and have it analyzed. It would be nice to have a decent starting point though - at least for locally available oil.
Hey I was in VA Beach a few weekends ago.

Anyway, I use Castrol syn 20-50 and no leaks or problems. 2 bar idle when hot and 4+ bar on accel.

See my post about Mobile 1 also.

Quick Reply: Changed Oil, fixed my oil leaks