Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Interest in a New Splitter?: UPDATED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea, and am very interested. I don't mean to put it down, but I don't see this coming off the ground that much. Now, I hope I stand corrected at some point in time.

I have put two splitters, one on each of my cars. The s2 was sent off the side of a 8 foot drop at 30mph and that splittes broke in 2-3 pieces and shattered. My fasteners were still connected. I was aggrivated, but honestly...I knew it was gone the instant I started sliding.

The turbo, I just put it on. Not too many miles on it. I don't have a problem with the AIR splitters, as my cars are more garage queens then daily drivers. I don't fear myself breaking off a splitter, as I know my area well enough to know the topography of my streets. The GOOD thing I have noticed about my AIR units, when they do make contact and scratch, its on the very front edge, but on the very underside. Never visible just standing there, and a pain to even see if your laying down looking. I have no gripes about the AIR stuff. Because in all honesty, I feel AIR was more aimed towards your Sunday cars and not daily drivers. Some guys who are fed up with the AIR splitters, are going against the intended use. They aren't meant for lower then stock ride height or anything close to a daily driver. Both my cars were stock ride height, and both splitter were 3 3/4-4" off the ground! I don't have a problem with AIR splitters in the end. I knew my limitations and limited mobility I would soon have. Therefor, I have no gripes. I knew what I was up against. I think more guys need to stop and think before purchasing/installing AIR splitters...be a lot less problems.

In the end, would love to see a new unit. I realize it will be more durbale against non-solid things, but if you hit a section of road where theyre repaving it and theres a tall, abrupt bump...I wouldn't expect ANY splitter to survive. Your pushing a small, relatively weak, lightweight piece with a 3000lb vehicle. Its GOING to destroy it. Is it any wonder snow plows have springs to collapse the blade when they hit a curb or something? It would annhilate the truck if solid mounted.

Its the same for an AIR splitter or any splitter. You smack something solid, and less forgiving then the splitter, its bye bye. Its a life lesson...failure takes the weakest link. I'd rather hit a 15lb animal then a 15lb rock of the same size. The rock is solid, an animal is forgiving.

Everyone needs to be aware of that. If they are, well have happy splitter users abroad. Whether it be AIR or ABS. It will break no matter what, if you hit the wrong thing.

Now a 1/8 thick steel splitter? May weigh a lot, but I'd take it. Wait, then the bumper would crack...its a neverending cycle. The weakest link is the splitter and needs to remain that way. You make the splitter and mounting stronger then the bumper, and you'll be buying a new bumper.

You also talk of breakaway fastening? Why? So you can then run 3,000lbs over it? Lol
Old 09-05-2008, 09:35 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
I like the idea, and am very interested. I don't mean to put it down, but I don't see this coming off the ground that much. Now, I hope I stand corrected at some point in time.

I have put two splitters, one on each of my cars. The s2 was sent off the side of a 8 foot drop at 30mph and that splittes broke in 2-3 pieces and shattered. My fasteners were still connected. I was aggrivated, but honestly...I knew it was gone the instant I started sliding.

The turbo, I just put it on. Not too many miles on it. I don't have a problem with the AIR splitters, as my cars are more garage queens then daily drivers. I don't fear myself breaking off a splitter, as I know my area well enough to know the topography of my streets. The GOOD thing I have noticed about my AIR units, when they do make contact and scratch, its on the very front edge, but on the very underside. Never visible just standing there, and a pain to even see if your laying down looking. I have no gripes about the AIR stuff. Because in all honesty, I feel AIR was more aimed towards your Sunday cars and not daily drivers. Some guys who are fed up with the AIR splitters, are going against the intended use. They aren't meant for lower then stock ride height or anything close to a daily driver. Both my cars were stock ride height, and both splitter were 3 3/4-4" off the ground! I don't have a problem with AIR splitters in the end. I knew my limitations and limited mobility I would soon have. Therefor, I have no gripes. I knew what I was up against. I think more guys need to stop and think before purchasing/installing AIR splitters...be a lot less problems.

In the end, would love to see a new unit. I realize it will be more durbale against non-solid things, but if you hit a section of road where theyre repaving it and theres a tall, abrupt bump...I wouldn't expect ANY splitter to survive. Your pushing a small, relatively weak, lightweight piece with a 3000lb vehicle. Its GOING to destroy it. Is it any wonder snow plows have springs to collapse the blade when they hit a curb or something? It would annhilate the truck if solid mounted.

Its the same for an AIR splitter or any splitter. You smack something solid, and less forgiving then the splitter, its bye bye. Its a life lesson...failure takes the weakest link. I'd rather hit a 15lb animal then a 15lb rock of the same size. The rock is solid, an animal is forgiving.

Everyone needs to be aware of that. If they are, well have happy splitter users abroad. Whether it be AIR or ABS. It will break no matter what, if you hit the wrong thing.

Now a 1/8 thick steel splitter? May weigh a lot, but I'd take it. Wait, then the bumper would crack...its a neverending cycle. The weakest link is the splitter and needs to remain that way. You make the splitter and mounting stronger then the bumper, and you'll be buying a new bumper.

You also talk of breakaway fastening? Why? So you can then run 3,000lbs over it? Lol

A little over the top with the optimism, wouldn't you say?...glad you are happy with your current product.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:03 PM
CPR
Race Director

To All,

I have received alot of PM's requesting that this be a "real" performance splitter and not just a cosmetic improvement. Noted.

With that said I will need someone(s) in the Va/Md/upperNC area to do some pre and post installation track runs (preferrably with easy track access) in about 2 weeks, to reflect "real" changes in lap times/handling/performace etc etc...

Also I need 1 944 N/A for mock up in the same time frame (about 2 weeks)

Any volunteers??
Old 09-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I for one would love to see a flexible polyurethane (or similar material) front splitter. My friend has one on his WRX..cost was $125....hits all types of things and it just flexes. The AIR splitter isnt to bad at stock rideheight, but it do rub on alot of stuff. I dont mind to much having to reglass the leading edge every year, but its still a pain in the *** worrying about shattering the thing into a few pieces when an unexpected obstacle is in the road.

I dont expect the new splitter to allow me to drive over speed bumps doing 60mph or allow me to pop curbs without fear of it breaking..thats just unreasonable. I would however like something that is a little more forgiving through.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:01 PM
8744S
Racer

I am located in charlotte if that is not to far for you I can do track runs as well
Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
To All,

I have received alot of PM's requesting that this be a "real" performance splitter and not just a cosmetic improvement. Noted.

With that said I will need someone(s) in the Va/Md/upperNC area to do some pre and post installation track runs (preferrably with easy track access) in about 2 weeks, to reflect "real" changes in lap times/handling/performace etc etc...

Any volunteers??
If you are willing to ship for a trial run, I have two events at Watkins Glen coming up...a high speed track which would be good for aero testing. I will have actual lap times via transponder as well.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
To All,

Any volunteers??
How about one for the 968.
I think you could sell at least 10 to 20 of these.
I have nice one to make a mold from.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:50 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Patrick,
I applaud your efforts and I hope your able to see this through to fruition unlike the many promised attempts of the past. It’s also interesting that you state your intentions are to make this a functional splitter. If indeed this is how you want to engineer your version I would be interested in purchasing one for our racecar. But of course only if indeed it was a true splitter and not just a cosmetic add on. While the “AIR” design is pretty, it’s far from optimizing the principles of a splitter. The “GT-Racing” version comes much closer. A true splitter must “split” the air with a flat surface both above and below. Just look at modern GT racers.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:00 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by 8744S
I am located in charlotte if that is not to far for you I can do track runs as well
A little farther than anticipated...however that does not mean it won't happen. I'll stay in touch as the first cuts should be finished by mid to end of next week. And a sincere thanks for the help.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by shiners780
If you are willing to ship for a trial run, I have two events at Watkins Glen coming up...a high speed track which would be good for aero testing. I will have actual lap times via transponder as well.

What are the dates? I am still a few weeks out. Thanks so much for the offer.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by daigo
Patrick,
I applaud your efforts and I hope your able to see this through to fruition unlike the many promised attempts of the past. It’s also interesting that you state your intentions are to make this a functional splitter. If indeed this is how you want to engineer your version I would be interested in purchasing one for our racecar. But of course only if indeed it was a true splitter and not just a cosmetic add on. While the “AIR” design is pretty, it’s far from optimizing the principles of a splitter. The “GT-Racing” version comes much closer. A true splitter must “split” the air with a flat surface both above and below. Just look at modern GT racers.

Cheers and good luck.
I am too old and too stubborn not to see it through...and yes it will be a functioning splitter. The original was to be a "flex" replacement for a popular design, however I rec'd a staggering amount of PM's requesting one that actually functions, as a tremendous amount of these cars are tracked. As I do not track mine the thought hadn't really occured to me. But nonetheless we are roughly only 2 weeks away from the first Beta. Would you be interested in some trials? I am having 5 made to test and refine.

And thanks for your input and support.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:44 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
How about one for the 968.
I think you could sell at least 10 to 20 of these.
I have nice one to make a mold from.
LOL...I have to complete 1 model first!

Actually once the 951's are done, I was going to do one for the 944 then maybe the older 911's working my way up.

The hard part is getting the first one right, then we have data, design and materials to manipulate for the others. I feel I am getting real close to finishing the 951's. Hopefully first testing will be in 2 weeks.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why did you close the NA thread? I would be in for an NA design.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 AM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPR
I am too old and too stubborn not to see it through...and yes it will be a functioning splitter. The original was to be a "flex" replacement for a popular design, however I rec'd a staggering amount of PM's requesting one that actually functions, as a tremendous amount of these cars are tracked. As I do not track mine the thought hadn't really occured to me. But nonetheless we are roughly only 2 weeks away from the first Beta. Would you be interested in some trials? I am having 5 made to test and refine.

And thanks for your input and support.
At the risk of sounding arrogant or unappreciative (which I’m not) if the design is right I would be very willing to trail it. Check your pm.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
What are the dates? I am still a few weeks out. Thanks so much for the offer.
No problem. I like to test and tinker with things to see what works/what doesn't. I'll be there October 4/5 and again on 13/14.

Quick Reply: Interest in a New Splitter?: UPDATED!