Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Darren,
Are you refering to the last 2 OEM holes close to the fenderwell?

If so, abandon those and use the provided zip screws. Install all the frontal hardware then when you get to the last 2 side attachments, slightly pull/push the OEM nose edge to align with the V1 and zip screw from underneath.
Just so I'm clear: There is no hole in the V1 close to the fenderwell, so I'm putting the zip screw through the V1 (making my own hole) and then going into the horizontal tab on the bottom of the fender where the batwing had the bolt?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
Just so I'm clear: There is no hole in the V1 close to the fenderwell, so I'm putting the zip screw through the V1 (making my own hole) and then going into the horizontal tab on the bottom of the fender where the batwing had the bolt?
Greg,
Yes...OR you can pilot a single new hole and thru bolt-it.

I abandoned the pre-drill in this area, because not all of the cars were lining up exactly the same. It seems as if time, environmental conditions..or whatever makes the outside edges just a wee bit different.

It was easier for most to simply attach along the entire front...then slightly push/pull the extreme lip edge to match perfectly and run a zip up. Also make it a cinch to remove.

I will be more than happy to provide some new thru-bolts at no cost if you need them. Let me know.

PATRICK
Old 02-28-2009, 05:00 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Greg,

I will be more than happy to provide some new thru-bolts at no cost if you need them. Let me know.

PATRICK
Oh no worries at all, I just wanted to confirm that's what the zips were for.

Thx.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for putting this together Patrick, I look forward to seeing more good products!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 PM
CPR
Race Director

Keith,
One question...did the added clearance make a difference in your driveway? I recall yours being quite the obstacle.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:51 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've actually scraped twice in the past 2 days and never scraped anywhere before. Both times coming out of parking lots onto a main road and I was barely moving. I can feel a little roughness underneath - nothing bad at all, but the top still looks new . The front lip of the splitter is 6" off the ground. I guess I'm going to have to start remebering these parking lots ... Very, very happy with this splitter!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:27 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was received yesterday -- but I'm in San Francisco and can't install it yet!

I'm super stoked. Thank you, Patrick!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:33 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Thanks again for putting this together Patrick, I look forward to seeing more good products!
Damn that looks sharp. How long did that take to install?

Old 03-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CPR
Keith,
One question...did the added clearance make a difference in your driveway? I recall yours being quite the obstacle.
No scraping, I need to try again with a passenger. Once my wheels go on the ride height will be too high and I'll lower it.

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Mine was received yesterday -- but I'm in San Francisco and can't install it yet!

I'm super stoked. Thank you, Patrick!
Well come visit wine country

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Damn that looks sharp. How long did that take to install?

Roughly half hour but that includes drilling holes for the under trays that I didn't install, I wanted to drive .
Old 03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

I received the hardware today (priority mail). Thanks for sending it yet again. It's the only hardware package I've received. (Nothing through UPS.)

Just to be sure --
Is there no hardware for the rear of the splitter, where it attaches to the plastic undertray? If not, I can fab something.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cb951
I received the hardware today (priority mail). Thanks for sending it yet again. It's the only hardware package I've received. (Nothing through UPS.)

Just to be sure --
Is there no hardware for the rear of the splitter, where it attaches to the plastic undertray? If not, I can fab something.

Thanks.
The new splitter is a lot more rigid than what you're replacing. I'm not sure that hardware is needed for that area.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I'd share a photo, too.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wipeout
The new splitter is a lot more rigid than what you're replacing. I'm not sure that hardware is needed for that area.
I would expect, if I'm not mistaken, that subjected to the heat of the engine, it might start to sag over time. I'd rather be safe than sorry. No need to risk tearing it (or the front fascia) off while backing up over a gravel lot, pothole, or some other uneven pavement.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cb951
I would expect, if I'm not mistaken, that subjected to the heat of the engine, it might start to sag over time. I'd rather be safe than sorry. No need to risk tearing it (or the front fascia) off while backing up over a gravel lot, pothole, or some other uneven pavement.
That's not a legit worry. It will be fine. The stock batwing doesn't droop, and a huge number of folks don't have the belly tray. If you're worried, drill a few holes and match then up to the belly tray. I keep my stock piece connected with zip ties, so that I can get it off faster.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM
CPR
Race Director

Chris,
There should an extra 1 or 2 zip screws in your pack. I included these so that those who wished to attach but did not have existing attachment points could simply run a zip up through the splitter to the OEM plastic undertray.

I have had mine in place w/o any rear attachment for 2 months now and have had no issues, although it is more for ease of swapping proto units back and forth for trials. When it is all said and done, I will run 1 or 2 zips through just for peace of mind, although I am still not convinced it is necessary.

Quick Reply: Interest in a New Splitter?: UPDATED!