boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Great article. Thanks for posting that.
Here's the write up guys.

Oil
What motor oil is best for my aircooled Porsche?
(or any high performance engine)
by Charles Navarro
Last Updated 07/31/08

...Even prior to the introduction of the API's SM standard, there was concern that current API SL standards from back in 2003 may inhibit the backwards compatibility of motor oils, specifically referring to the limitation of ZDDP...

...Many Porsche repair shops have acknowledged that these newest SM and CJ-4 motor oils are not sufficient for protecting any Porsche engine.....
pk951, The SM is a dead giveaway that there is not the correct level of ZDDP present. It's all right in the article.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

As stated in the article the ZDDP is reduced in the SM motor oils. Valvoline VR1 oils contain 75% more ZDDP than the SM oils and are still "street legal". Having read other articles on the net, you do not really want to go with a ZDDP additive either as each oil brand tailors the additives for the specific oil it is refined from. So the racing oils and Gibbs oils are the route to go.

The ZDDP plates out on the varios parts which is why it is "bad" for the cat. My original question has not been answered, do the zinc phosphorous oils plate as effectively as the ZDDP oils?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlm328
As stated in the article the ZDDP is reduced in the SM motor oils. Valvoline VR1 oils contain 75% more ZDDP than the SM oils and are still "street legal". Having read other articles on the net, you do not really want to go with a ZDDP additive either as each oil brand tailors the additives for the specific oil it is refined from. So the racing oils and Gibbs oils are the route to go.

The ZDDP plates out on the varios parts which is why it is "bad" for the cat. My original question has not been answered, do the zinc phosphorous oils plate as effectively as the ZDDP oils?
You'd have to find the precise component make up of a specific product to a specific oil. If the composition of the Z and the P components are precisely the same, than they will work the same. Otherwise, not.
The use of a ZDDP adaditve allows people to use the current standard oils, which are much more affordable and readily available at the local store, rather than being forced to switch oils, or as I do, buy oil by the case, via ground transport from the company. I have to buy from AGIP, to get what I want at a "decent" price...and it isn't cheap.
Personally, I prefer to do it right with one product. If I couldn't get what I want from an oil, I would look into an addative.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:51 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by boston951
If I were brave enough to switch my low mile stock original motor over to a synthetic, then the Agip 4t would be on the short list.
I can only speak for myself, but I've been very happy with it. I know that at one point, special tool was running AGIP in his 500-600 hp 951.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:07 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
This doesn't sound like solid logic. If the additive is your only option, then having the ZDDP is better than not. Many reputable sources sell the product without any problems.

I just added the ZDDPlus and feel good about my choice. Racing oil like Valvoline VR1 is certrainly a good option as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I use Valvoline VR1 20W50 and I am very pleased with it...
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

One other option motorcycle oil
Motorcycle oils have higher levels of phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection and the same high-temperature detergent technology for superior wear protection and engine cleanliness, even at elevated oil temperatures. Specifically motorcycle oils for aircooled engines are designed for very high localized oil temperatures and high overall oil temperatures, and typically have high flash points coupled with higher HTHS viscosities and lower noack% losses. As a whole, it would appear that all most motorcycle oils we tested have excellent anti-wear additive levels and most are not SM oils, but rather earlier SG, SH, or SJ rated. In a pinch, it should be fairly easy to find a motorcycle oil with any of these SG, SH, or SJ ratings at your local auto parts store when it may be more difficult to get Brad Penn or Swepco, without having it shipped to you. Please do remember that motorcycle oils typically have levels of Zn and P that will kill catalytic converters, so if you have one, either remove it first or use another oil, like Brad Penn or Swepco. Also, motorcycle oils are not as detergent as the aforementioned Brad Penn or Swepco, so you must change the oil much more often, even though the perception of being able to go longer because the oil costs more is a false one.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Jiffy peanut oil...as it smells very good @ high rev
Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CPR
I use Jiffy peanut oil...as it smells very good @ high rev
And it really makes raspberry preserves smell mush better at high temps!

Back to some tech

I do not run a catalytic converter. What pk said above, is of legit importance.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

pk & ehall, it just makes the cat delete option even more appealing

Quick Reply: Oil, what oil?