Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oops maybe this http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=366624
Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There you go... -exactly.

Apparently the capacitor is 100µF for 30 seconds. -I'll mail you a capacitor to put in its place. (ignore the upper of the two red lines in this picture, it's pointing to the chip, NOT the capacitor.)

The cap is electrolytic, and therefore polarized, so you'd need to observe the polarity when replacing it. -it's probably better in this particular instance to replace it than tack one on in parallel, -only because of the physical size. -A thick white band running down one side of the body ordinarily denotes the NEGATIVE terminal, and is usually marked with a stream of "-" symbols to clarify it as such. The negative terminal will link with pin 1 of the IC, and the positive terminal should link with pin 6.

PM me a mailing address and I'll send you a 1,000µF@16V capacitor to replace it. -That should give you a five-minute delay. -I've got one here in my hand for you.

-In addition, I have so darned many of those timer ICs in my spares kit that I may as well send you one to keep for a spare, just in case yours ever dies.

Keith
Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
blown 944
Race Car

PM sent
Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

...In case you're interested, The monostable explained.

Keith
Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Coolio.

I'm mailing off a capacitor, a spare chip (because you can never have too many spares!) and a short length of desoldering braid to help you remove the old cap etc.

If you've never used braid before, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-_pnc-Qqm8]here's a quick tutorial) -There are other videos on YouTube... I use a slightly different technique to this guy, where I gently "work" the tension on the braid, -pushing and pulling ever so slightly, and you see the silver solder "wicking" it's way along the braid.

The new cap is a little large, but the leads will go through the holes, and the cap can be slightly "off-mounted". I've tossed a short length of heat-shrink insulation tubing in there, in case you need to sleeve the leads to prevent them from touching anything else, if you have to leave them 'long' to have the capacitor 'relocate' in order to fit.

Any questions, just holler. -Let us all know how it turns out. Some pictures of the capacitor I'm sending you next to a spare coolant delay relay here:

Good luck!

Keith
Old 08-26-2008, 03:27 PM
blown 944
Race Car

WOW thanks a lot.

I have been able to change my MAP sensor (soldered in) in my AFM link to an external so this should go well
Old 09-09-2008, 11:31 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Thanks to VWAddict I got the timer extension done. Thanks again

using the cap he sent I have it now able to run the Waterpump for 5 ~ minutes

here is a pic of the larger cap installed
Old 09-15-2013, 01:52 AM
KaiKai951S
Instructor

Hey Guys, Just noticed this post and have the EXACT opposite problem. MY Pump does not shut off unless I pull the relay, any Ideas? These things are like $100 + Bucks new and I really don't want to spend that If I don't have to

Quick Reply: turbo water pump extended time relay