Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

From Stock to 300hp. Requirements.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008 | 12:06 PM
Darwantae951

Max AFM chip - www.maxhpkit.com makes a chip for the stock Air Flow meter. He makes good chips.

3 Bar fuel pressure regulator - The stock FPR is ~2.5 bar IIRC. When you up performance, you need more fuel. This ensures the injectors have an adequate supply of fuel so you don't go dangerously lean and cause problems.
Old 08-23-2008 | 12:22 PM
CPR
Race Director

Of all the naysayers out there....who ACTUALLY has used the Auto chipset WITH their Mass and TIAL wastgate? That is, in auto that the engine was not previously abused NOR has many miles on it? I find it relatively amusing that like in many scenarios people tend to defame a product without any firsthand knowledge (read:street...not a computer, dyno, simulator, controlled environment,). However, they are quick to praise a product that 90% of them (perhaps more) do not even own.

Remember: following the herd with your head down is good, for there is safety in numbers...unless the herd is headed to slaughter

Cheers mates!
Old 08-23-2008 | 12:30 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by CPR
Of all the naysayers out there....who ACTUALLY has used the Auto chipset WITH their Mass and TIAL wastgate? That is, in auto that the engine was not previously abused NOR has many miles on it? I find it relatively amusing that like in many scenarios people tend to defame a product without any firsthand knowledge (read:street...not a computer, dyno, simulator, controlled environment,). However, they are quick to praise a product that 90% of them (perhaps more) do not even own.

Remember: following the herd with your head down is good, for there is safety in numbers...unless the herd is headed to slaughter

Cheers mates!
Don't turn this thread into an argument. There are plenty of people on this board who have used the Autothority MAF (just search for how many have been put up for sale ) The autothority stuff is OLD, thats it. There are much better options available now from people still actively trying to make the 944/951 better.
Old 08-23-2008 | 12:51 PM
CPR
Race Director

You mis-read my comments...it was not intended to create an arguement. I too asked this question (see thread: chip vs. chip) as to what products out there were better and more economical and efficient (read: less components and tuning) and got some of the same robotic responses. I just do not believe that some can feel so strongly and speak the praises of a product(s) they themselves have not owned, nor used. IMO...if you have it, enlighten us to the benefits, your experiences, etc... if you don't keep your ops to what YOU have experience with. It clouds the perception of people (myself included) that do not have extensive experience with Porsche aftermarket products...making it more difficult and sometimes expensive to correct or modify parts recommended here, that do not fit ones particular application. As I said...IMO...IMO...
Old 08-23-2008 | 01:03 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wraith1027
May I but in here and ask a newbie question? I just took posession of a '86 951. Completely stock with 48k original miles on it. It has the "other silver paint" Can't remember the true name. It's a blue/silver. Black leather interior. But Like I said, it is bone stock. My Question: Can someone decifer the lingo for me?

MAX AFM chip, 3Bar FPR and K27/6

Waht does this mean? I know the K27/6 is the larger Turbo on the intake side right? But the rest, I don't understand.
max chip is a type of chip you can buy(link is already posted above). 3FPR means 3bar fuel pressure regulator.
Old 08-23-2008 | 01:53 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

I have the complete PH upgrade, k27-6 hybrid, Turbo-S brakes, Chip and MAF. i love the the mid range grunt, it's a beast! speaking from first hand experience .. though i won't jump on the Vitesse or max chip band wagon simply because I haven't seen it yet.

Whats wrong with an old setup for tuning? second question, what's wrong with old? this car is 22 years old
Old 08-23-2008 | 02:41 PM
slivel
Racer

People tend to forget that the original US version of this car produced 217 HP (at the crank) and a plain old Autothority chip with no other mods made about 250-260 HP. The Turbo S/89 made about 280-290 HP with just the chip. Boost on the stockers was about .7 Bar and .8 Bar on the 89's. Simply raising the boost level to about 1.0 - 1.1 Bar made the difference. The old chips had flaws that made them rich in the middle and lean on top.
So.... by using a modern well developed chip that is designed to allow 1.1 -1.2 Bar boost and a relieved exhaust (3") you should come close to you goal of 300 Hp. Realize though that this would be HP at the crank, and most people here on this forum talk in terms of rear wheel horsepower (rwhp).
Having said that 300 crank HP is possible, it probably is not the best approach because it does not give much safety margin. A better approach would be to add a 3 Bar fuel pressure regular and a manual boost controller and dual port wastegate because when you are running boost levels a >1.1 Bar you want accurate control.
I have had 944 Turbos (86 model and now 89) for 20 years, I have progressed though more mods that I care to think about. Best advice is don't think that you will be satisfied with 300 crank HP - probably won't happen.
Good luck.
Steve
Old 08-23-2008 | 03:17 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by slivel
Best advice is don't think that you will be satisfied with 300 crank HP - probably won't happen.
Good luck.
Steve
Amen.
Old 08-23-2008 | 04:10 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

To the OP, Good luck getting 300hp from your stock k26/6 turbo. It can be done but it will be maxing out that little outdated tired turbo. Not matter what a company claims its just not going to happen. Lindsey and Autothority both probably say those number in reference to a S or 89 model with the k26/8 which makes a bit more power up top. With the mods you'd like to do keeping the stock wastegate would be a bad choice. Those old things leak like crazy....better yet get a new wastegate before doing any of those mods, I'm sure there'll be a noticeable increase in performance. Basically a 20+ year old engine is not going to produce the number it once did unless you rebuild/replace worn out components.

Patrick, I have experience with two set of autothority chips and my results are exactly what everyone is saying...they aren't as great as they sound. They run rick mid range which is OK but to tend to lean out in the upper range, not acceptable. As a stand alone mod as in nothing else, they're safe and are fine for the averagely driven 951. Autothority is a large general chip maker, vitesse and maxx are small and specialized and have a lot more experience with our motors.
Old 08-23-2008 | 05:57 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've run the Autoauthority stuff. There is ZERO positive comparison to either the Vitesse or the Max solutions. Z E R O! By comparison, it's crap.
Old 08-23-2008 | 07:31 PM
CPR
Race Director

Ehall,
What set up are you currently employing? Obviously, your experience in using both the 951Max chips and the Vitesse setup are invaluable to help clarify the noticeable differences between them and Auto. What did you see as the greatest benefit? At what points on the powerband did you notice the most significant impact (without a turbo upgrade)? Thanks for your insight.

*As I said in an earlier post...I am not defending A., but if there is a significantly better product in the same general price range I would love to know AND switch to it.
Old 08-23-2008 | 08:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My 86 came with AA chips and Maf. It ran like **** from the time I got it. It did just what you have already been told. It ran rich in the middle and even down low, and lean up top, where it's freaking dangerous.
I removed that junk and replced the stock AFM with a Vitesse chip. It runs better EVERYWHERE!
Old 08-23-2008 | 09:15 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

over the course of 10 years and 3 different 951s, i've used the following chips: weltmeister, authothority, guru, vitesse
the following mafs: authothority, vitesse
the following wastegates: tial, lindsey dual port
the following turbos: k26/6, k27/8, vitesse stage 2

are there any other assumptions you need me to dispell?

Originally Posted by CPR

Cheers mates!
Old 08-23-2008 | 09:30 PM
CPR
Race Director

Shaheed,
Take time to read the content of a reply instead of just talking out the side of your neck.
Old 08-23-2008 | 11:19 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

talking out of the side of the neck? you mean like this?

Originally Posted by CPR
Autothority chips & Mass Air & TIAL 38mm sprung for 18psi (no MBC required)= 310-325rwhp.
3mods=
or the feeble excuse that folks were being naysayers and hadn't used the exact same setup you quoted? is that talking out of the side of the neck? i guess i'd rather be talking out of the side of my neck than pulling 310-325rwhp out of the rear end...

Quick Reply: From Stock to 300hp. Requirements.