Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Changing Key Head

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Clutch10
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing Key Head

I just purchased a pair of new key heads because mine were all beat up, anyone know how to change the lighted key head?

thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 12:37 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can do this without any tools but a flat micro screw driver or a pair of tweezers might make it easier.
-Pry the two halves of the head apart. The original head might be difficult, but the new one will be easier than you'd expect. I usually do this at the rectangle on the opposite side from the light. The rectangle piece (keeper) will stay with the half of the head bearing the Porsche crest.
With the head split, you will see all the parts that hold the key in the head. Behind the keeper is a spring and another piece (retainer) that actually holds the key in place.
-Remove the spring keeper. It will slide directly up, out of the head. Remember that the spring is under compression, so it will fly out of the assembly and be lost if you're not careful.
-With the spring and keeper removed, the retainer can be slid back in its cannel and the key will slide out of the head.

Reassembly.
This is a basic reassemble in reverse order. The only "tricky" part is compressing the spring to get the keeper back in. This is where the tweezers or screw driver come in handy. It can also be done with the keeper its self.

I did this a few months ago and it was probably one of the better bangs for the buck things I've done to my car. My old key head was beat up, and missing the light and crest. Now it's nice and new factory part, even if the rest of the car isn't
Old 08-11-2008, 03:06 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to order a full size key head one of these days. I lost my key years ago so have since been using the tiny wallet key. The key heads are interchangable...

...I was sitting here trying to figure out why I haven't bought a full size key head yet to replace that annoying tiny wallet key....then it hit me. With that small my girlfriend can't start my car. She tried once when I was working on it and need her to crank the engine over for a me a few times. She couldn't do it! ...yeah I think I'll keep just the little key.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C'mon she just didn't want to play around with that little thing.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
You can do this without any tools but a flat micro screw driver or a pair of tweezers might make it easier.
-Pry the two halves of the head apart. The original head might be difficult, but the new one will be easier than you'd expect. I usually do this at the rectangle on the opposite side from the light. The rectangle piece (keeper) will stay with the half of the head bearing the Porsche crest.
With the head split, you will see all the parts that hold the key in the head. Behind the keeper is a spring and another piece (retainer) that actually holds the key in place.
-Remove the spring keeper. It will slide directly up, out of the head. Remember that the spring is under compression, so it will fly out of the assembly and be lost if you're not careful.
-With the spring and keeper removed, the retainer can be slid back in its cannel and the key will slide out of the head.

Reassembly.
This is a basic reassemble in reverse order. The only "tricky" part is compressing the spring to get the keeper back in. This is where the tweezers or screw driver come in handy. It can also be done with the keeper its self.

I did this a few months ago and it was probably one of the better bangs for the buck things I've done to my car. My old key head was beat up, and missing the light and crest. Now it's nice and new factory part, even if the rest of the car isn't

I followed your instructions and i was able to switch to my new keyhead. Thanks for your helpful post.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo

Reassembly.

To make things a little easier on next time around you don't need to disassemble the new key head. That spring and pin mechanism is designed to allow you to install the blade simply by inserting it.

-Warren
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SSI Performance
To make things a little easier on next time around you don't need to disassemble the new key head. That spring and pin mechanism is designed to allow you to install the blade simply by inserting it.

-Warren
I had just assumed the spring was to make up for casting and stamping variations. I just tried this on the key head, works as described. Just push the key into the head, and you get a nice audible click on the retainer going into place.

Thanks for the additional info!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the easier way: wrap the metal part of the key with a rag, grab some pliers, grab, and pull. then put in new key head.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Teuton993
Instructor

Thanks guys, this was very useful info. I had to replace my key head and couldn't figure out that dang chinese puzzle box inside it. You guys solved my dilemma without making me feel too stupid. But that's okay, I'm not that smart anyway.

Thanks again!
BB

Quick Reply: Changing Key Head