10 speaker door options

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10 speaker door options

I just picked a pair of 10 speaker panels for the doors. For those that have replaced them what did you use? There is a nice set of Boston Acoustic, 3 way components and I thought about the woofer and midrange in the door and then mount the tweeter above the window switches. It does not have to be an "audiophile" system, just clean and clear. I'll add something else in the back, probably a 4x6 plate in the back, same brand. Pushing this will be a Nakamichi CD 370, 250W.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:15 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Bret, did you forget about this thread, https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/410797-10-speaker-option-door-size-speaker.html ?
The Mid is a Polk DB351 with the tweeter removed. You can match your BA's to the measurements I listed and see if they'll work. I'm using an Alpine MRP-F250 sending 40W rms to the doors and 6 1/2 Polks in the rear panels. Super clear sound coupled with 400W rms going to a MB Quart 12" sub I'm set.

-Jason
Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes I did, I've slept since then. I saved that to another laptop and "laptop is dead".

Thank you...just saved on my personal hard drive.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 AM
gpan951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine done sometime back, can't remember the names of the speakers, sorry. Matched the old for size, no mods.
But what I did was install a mini Sony amplifier (about 5x4x1.5 inches) to help me manage the soundstage-couldn't get the balance correct, felt that the sound was always coming from the rear (as the speakers are much larger and higher placed and the smaller fronts basically bouncing sound against your thigh!). I needed a small amp as I wanted to have it buried behind/under the dash. The original amp was installed behind the head unit.
1 more thing that I did was to install a powered woofer under the glovebox. It's a perfect fit, you can just about see the bottom of the woofer but unless you have size 20 feet (!), you'll never touch it with your shoes (heels on the floor). The woofer is brilliant, adds a truck load of bass. Fantastic for a small coupe like ours.

Gerald

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-KSC-SW10...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-CLARION...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-11-2008, 10:42 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ski,
not real famaliar w/ the 10 spkr panel, but we made some front inserts (flushing the pocket to the window switches) allowing infinity 6.5 + 1" silk domes there w/ another 1" by the switches. Mounted Infinity 6.5, 3.5 and 1" dome in the rear side (only the 6.5 is hidden), w 2-12 w3JL's in the back. Not sure if you are going that far w/it but I would definitely stay away from any 4x6's...component co-ax or otherwise.
Cheers
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 AM
xtaC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres what I'm using temporarily, until I get around to doing something better:

(This is a blatant copy/paste from one of my posts on another forum)

Update: Door Trim Upgrade.

I figured that while I had the door trims apart, I would spruce them up a bit.
I have replaced the old, mismatched door speakers with some new 130w Sony Splodes, and painted up the speaker grills to look nice and neat.

Pics!!

Speaker Grills, Pre Beadblasting:

After Beadblasting:

First coat of Jam:

Refitted to Door Trim Piece:

Speakers, as the Came Out of the Car:

New Speakers, Test Fitted:

OE Setup:

New Setup:

New Setup Complete:

I made up some backing plates for the speakers, to separate the sound a little better.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I finished having installed few months back, although i had to reinstall and re wire since the stereo shop did a pitiful job. I added a alarm w/ remote door actuators and added the LED door pins (real pain to get flush mounted). I put
5.25 Memphis compenents in the door and 4x6 in the rear. I have yet to finish the install on the KLA sub in the rear, but so far I am real satisfied with the sound.

Steve
Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

xTaC,
make sure to disconnect the factory capacitor and crossover shown in your pic (black box marked ITT 3/4). This will limit the potential of your Sony replacements. Tie the incoming line directly to the new speaker.

Quick Reply: 10 speaker door options