Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF and 951 MAF Chips troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Double check your wiring and it's possible that the wrong chip was pulled. Did they suggest a 3.0 bar regulator or AFPR with the upgrade?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there could be some misinformation and your chip could actually be right for a MAF..
Old 08-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
Double check your wiring and it's possible that the wrong chip was pulled. Did they suggest a 3.0 bar regulator or AFPR with the upgrade?
we have a 3bar, wiring was triple checked and continuity veryfied with a multimeter.

We tried both chips that rich has, and his previous maxHp chip (AFM) runs even worse.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:56 AM
biggles
Pro

You are not the only one who has taken this route, but most will tell you that a customized kit is better. If interested, l have an Apexi SAFC II tuning kit which I can sell you for about $150 which will help with the necessary A/F adjustments.

good luck
biggles
Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

well, I think we know the answer here. if you want plug n play, go vitesse.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:55 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty much. But not in pieces.
Those who have screwed it all up have tried to cheap out and coble together a giant load of crap, then go to Vitesse to create a magic "load of crap" chip to save their cheap asses. That doesn't work...for any vendor.
Do it right, and do it once.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Remember the days when people could tune their car with MAF any old chip, an arc2 and a narrowband! Chitown why don't you pick up a 2nd hand power perfect, spend 15mins twiggling the dials on the front and you should be fine, nice and easy.
That unit gives you the capability to dial it in accurately when you are ready to face your tuning phobia, else get someone like your wife, or local dyno dood to do it for you.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

I agree, don't get too discouraged. I'm guessing your chip is a MAF chip but just not one that doesn't require any tuning. I think that it should be easily tuned. Seems like my chip is for an AFM and I'm still having troubles with tuning the throttle tip-in (which I believe is the big difference in the AFM and MAF chips, that and initial idle settings). However, I've been able to tune in great AFRs under load and once I start using my datalogging capability I'm sure I can get it ALL right.

If I can't, Russell tells me he's great about "upgrading" chips, so it shouldn't be costly to get a "MAF chip."
Old 08-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would love to know what these MAF chips are. AFAIK, the only chip that reads TRUE AIR MASS and require NO signal modifier are the Vitesse chips (other then APE). It's my understanding that the max chips have a slightly different map for use with a MAF but are still programmed to read a AFM signal.

Oh yeah, I remember the arc 2's as well as the frequent changes required for temperature (one click low, two mid, one high etc.) and the slew of HG jobs that came along in those days.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschefig
Russell tells me he's great about "upgrading" chips, so it shouldn't be costly to get a "MAF chip."
Yeah right. I am a big supporter of Russell's but he wouldn't do **** for Rich, who owned a set of maxHp AFM chips before this. Rich asked if Russell could upgrade his chip to a MAF chip for the LR MAF and he wouldn't. Rich had to spend another $160 for the MAF chips, which should have been $260 but Russell's website goofed up.

Then when Rich called and emailed him to make sure the chip we got was right for the MAF since the car wasn't running right, we have not got a response since Monday.

Tonight we spent the entire evening putting everything back to stock, since Rich did not want to spend more $$ getting the MAF tuners.

If anyone wants to buy the LR stuff PM Rich aka chitown944
Old 08-08-2008, 02:17 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

I went this route myself. If you read Lindsey's site, the small print, it states you need a Power Perfect or Mafterburner. I emailed back and forth, and got in touch with Russell. I only ordered based on a thread at the MaxHP forums, that stated that Russell was creating a plug'n'play setup specifically for Lindsey.

The outcome I received was that Lindsey dropped the idea after they blew up their test car, and nothing was ever sorted out. After a couple of weeks of emails, Russell sent Lindsey the programming, and Lindsey burned me a chip that was supposed to be the plug'n'play deal, with some final tweaks added in. The car started and idled just fine off of this, but went lean when running. I ended up pulling the chip and MAF, and sold them on ebay. It just wasn't worth the effort, so I'm saving up for the Vitesse setup.

I have no ill will towards either party, it just would of been nice to have such a cheap/easy setup such as the chips and MAF from Lindsey.

Here's the thing I believe the "MAF" option gets you, a lightly richer stock map, due to a less restrictive intake. That's probably all you get, as the tuner device is supposed to take care of the rest.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
biggles
Pro

Smile

I will not attempt to tell you what do with your car, but like I said previously you can get the Apexi I have, which will help with your problem. If the $150 is too much, send me an email and make me an offer. I am not using it and when I replaced it late last year it worked fine. You have first dibs, but anyone who could use it, let me know and you can have it for a fair offer.

Good luck

biggles!
Old 08-10-2008, 01:38 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

I've built a MAF chip for the lindsey stage 1 & 2 MAF. I started with a popular AFM chip for the k26/6, changed the shape of the transfer function mapping voltage to flow to match the sensor as best I could. I also flattened the temp compensation table, adjusted the part throttle map to assist the transition from idle to part throttle, and also programmed the FQS table to allow for the injector sizes that I wanted. You can see the results here if of interest.my results
You can see that I still had to resort to a piggyback to address the top end working within the constraints of how the chip describes the shape of this transfer function curve. Also used the piggyback to further fine tune my idle, but without it I had an OK idle and nice part throttle. I left plenty of headroom to allow for big horsepower.
From this experience I would say that without going beyond modification of DME tables or adding silicon such as what Vitesse have done, you need a piggyback for a MAF setup to get a proper tune.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:11 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There probably isn't anyone around who can get LR's POS...err umm...MAF...to work as well as hally has.
He's been doing this for a long time. ASK him how he can help you. LR cannot.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for Hally.

-Rogue

Quick Reply: MAF and 951 MAF Chips troubles