Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch fork again...*Fixed*

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:11 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

So if your feeling is that the fork is susceptible to breakage and that it must be fortified somehow, why aren't we hearing of more failures? Not doubting you in any way, just curious. Wonder why someone doesn't offer a better solution? Is this something that would be more prone to breaking by high hp cars and powershifting (whatever that means?)?
Old 08-02-2008, 04:48 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Supposedly Blaszak Precision Motorsports offers a reinforced clutch fork. Though I never received a response from my emails...
Anyone have one from these guys or have any info?

-Rogue
Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So if your feeling is that the fork is susceptible to breakage and that it must be fortified somehow, why aren't we hearing of more failures? Not doubting you in any way, just curious. Wonder why someone doesn't offer a better solution? Is this something that would be more prone to breaking by high hp cars and powershifting (whatever that means?)?
From what I can tell my clutch fork looks ok this time. It has failed in the past on a stock clutch. I have heard of many other clutch fork failures as well. I think it's a fault in the general design. If the pin bearings wear or the TOB somehow loosens so it's not perfectly centered, the fork will out more pressure on one side over the other. The added pressure becomes too much for the thin cast piece to handle and it either cracks, bends, or breaks off. People have, and are looking into making beefier unit however it's a limited market so some things get passed by.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:31 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Blazack prep'd clutch fork and flywheel. Haven't have a chance to use it yet (hopefully soon), but the fork is a thing of beauty - visually very happy with what I got. It's installed, or I would take a pic and post (has brass bushings instead of the worthless roller bearings). He's a busy guy, so if you need something quick he might not be your best bet. I was never able to get ahold of him by phone (maybe once when he picked up), but emails were always returned.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I was never able to get ahold of him by phone (maybe once when he picked up), but emails were always returned.
Could you PM me his email. Perhaps I'm not using the correct one.

Thanks.

-Rogue
Old 08-02-2008, 04:50 PM
eniac
Drifting

It's fixed....well for now.

I'm still going to replace the clutch soon since it's needed anyway but a couple hard 2nd gear runs at 35psi with the clutch pressed in broke loose the pilot bearing or whatever it was. I'm quite positive the bearing had heated itself onto the drive shaft. The clutch works just fine now, no odd noises and grabs like it did before.

Thanks for the help. I really did not want to tear this thing apart this weekend but I probably would have if it wasn't for all these ideas of what to check.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:53 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I may be following in your footsteps. Congrats!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:46 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

35 psi on a cup clutch- im sure you will need a new disk! I have a feeling im about at the limit of my cup clutch at a measly 21 psi...
Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by xsboost90
35 psi on a cup clutch- im sure you will need a new disk! I have a feeling im about at the limit of my cup clutch at a measly 21 psi...
Yeah after the clutch heats up it slips. When I really get on it, it will slip in every gear for a few seconds or keep slipping till I ease off the gas then I can get back on it. I check the wear often and it's close to gone.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Well if anyone manages to get a hold of Markus I'm in for a group buy if he's interested?
Stephen, I think you must be the 'King of Boost'. 35psi AND in 2nd gear. No wonder you have clutch slip!! I'm sure my setup now would be better for you, but it's a bitch in traffic. What sort of conditions do you drive your car in? Does it see any tracktime? If so I would upgrade next time you're in there. Having said that, a little clutch slip might be saving some of your other components that are going to be feeling the pinch under those loads. It's never ending when you start to bolster parts.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well if anyone manages to get a hold of Markus I'm in for a group buy if he's interested?
Stephen, I think you must be the 'King of Boost'. 35psi AND in 2nd gear. No wonder you have clutch slip!! I'm sure my setup now would be better for you, but it's a bitch in traffic. What sort of conditions do you drive your car in? Does it see any tracktime? If so I would upgrade next time you're in there. Having said that, a little clutch slip might be saving some of your other components that are going to be feeling the pinch under those loads. It's never ending when you start to bolster parts.
I would say "King of boost leaks". I have them mostly sorted out now though with AN fittings on the wastegate and zip ties on EVERY vacuum line however I'm still looking for a thottle bottle that doesn't leak at this level of boost. I have had to reseal mine twice...then there's parts, and parts, and parts that break, wear, fall off, or just give up. The clutch is rated for 350hp or so I think and when I put it in, I thought that was plenty...shortly after I fell into the grips of an evil boost addiction and I realized it wasn't enough. The costs add up fast. The next clutch that goes in will be rated at no less then 700hp just to be safe. With the clutch counter spring adjusted for the stiffer clutch, and a strengthened fork, I don't think it will be a problem for everyday driving.

The car is a daily driver in the summer simply because it's the most fun car to drive that I have. I have other cars I drive in the winter or when working on this car. For boost I have an AVC-R and as shown in my sig. I use the scramble boost function with the button on my steering wheel set to 35psi when I push it. It's nice to have that extra power on hand whenever I ask for it.

I had it to the track a few times when it was closer to stock. I'm going to try to get to one of the later DE's this year but most of the power is unusable at any track. I haven't had much urge to do more track events until I get a decent suspension.

Quick Reply: Clutch fork again...*Fixed*