Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AC maintenance thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have any hard feelings at all and there is no need for an apology. I actually prefer it when someone is short and to the point instead of trying to sugar-coat a response (I'm against the PC movement - LOL). I didn't feel that I had anything else to contribute to the thread, so I opted to stay out of the conversation. This is actually the first time in a while that I've even came back to read the thread and was quite surprised to even see my name mentioned.

In reading RED TEC's response about needing an EPA approval it seems that they conveniently left out parts of the EPA's ruling on acceptable replacements and the information they provide only leads to confusion for the customer. My main point in my post was that there really isn't any question about what is and isn't an acceptable R12 alternative when the EPA spells it out quite clearly. The obvious oversight on my behalf is that EPA regulations are only a concern to those of us who live in the US. However, I would have a problem with any company trying to mask their legality (don't even get me started on "DOT approved").
Old 08-19-2008, 03:48 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CurtP
I don't have any hard feelings at all and there is no need for an apology. I actually prefer it when someone is short and to the point instead of trying to sugar-coat a response (I'm against the PC movement - LOL). I didn't feel that I had anything else to contribute to the thread, so I opted to stay out of the conversation. This is actually the first time in a while that I've even came back to read the thread and was quite surprised to even see my name mentioned.

In reading RED TEC's response about needing an EPA approval it seems that they conveniently left out parts of the EPA's ruling on acceptable replacements and the information they provide only leads to confusion for the customer. My main point in my post was that there really isn't any question about what is and isn't an acceptable R12 alternative when the EPA spells it out quite clearly. The obvious oversight on my behalf is that EPA regulations are only a concern to those of us who live in the US. However, I would have a problem with any company trying to mask their legality (don't even get me started on "DOT approved").
Cool.
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that regualatory buearacracies tend to go overboard, unless some lobbyist gives then reason enough not too.

Hopefully the combined discussion, on this topic, will give some folks a good base line from which to make a semi-educated decision.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fail at life, err, quoting.... I should have quoted this post in my big one above:

I guess i dont see why you jumped all over him, he made the point that i always try to make, and I have gone back and forth with Zero10 on the same thing. Zero10 posted a very detailed explanation about a hydro-based refridgerent, and doesnt mention its illegal to use where a good portion of people on Renny live.

I understand that it may work almost as well as R12, but that doesnt cange the fact its illegal to use in the US. Peronally, R12 isnt that expesive to use, I still get it locally for about $25 a can, when/if i decide to charge my car, ill just use r12.

"Look around the net for a while and you too will find all sorts of misinformation, and speculation. The fact that the EPA has the info still doesn't seem to stop all of the crap out there. SO yes, there's a lot of sketchy info. "

All i can say about that is look at your source, if you would rather believe somone on the net, instead of the EPA, then go for it. Hey who are you to believe me, I just do this as my everyday job, but why should you believe anything i say?

Mark
Then I hope what I said makes more sense Not a shot at you ehall, you've been great in this thread and I hope we can cram a whole bunch more information in here!

I'm not trying to make any enemies here though, but I'd like to hear about it being legal to replace the first-generation refrigerants. This sounds like the ticket for Red Tek being legal.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:12 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, though I'm well confused, it appears that we are back on track....so bump!

Anyone else have any good input to the various topics and info?

Quick Reply: AC maintenance thread