Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Article: Lotus Esprit Turbo versus Porsche 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 PM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 440 Likes on 318 Posts

Yeah, always been a big fan of the esprit. Also always known of them to be unreliable, junk. Which is why I by 951's. Not to mention lotus's, are harder to find in the states, and cost more money.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:18 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great link and an even better read mate so thanks for posting

I have owned many Lotus cars over the years but let’s take a step back in my ownership experiences.

At the age of 17 I was the proud owner of a 1987 TVR 350i v8. After 6 months I moved onto a TVR 400SE and then did the Griffith 4.3 BV and then the 500 followed by a Cerbera 4.5 AJP8 Red Rose.

I loved TVR's as they were seriously quick but like a Supra JZA80 were simply poor going around a corner

I then moved ship and entered the Lotus marquee ... Started with a 1991 Elan SE M100 which in terms of chassis dynamics was simply fantastic but wanted more power so ended up next with a Lotus Exige (First edition). After the Exige I purchased a Esprit GT3, Followed by a 1997 Turbo. Both cars were simply fantastic but hard to drive and live with on a day to day basis.

End result I got myself a 944 Tubro which offered everything all of the previous cars I've owned including all the Japanese RX7 FD3S's, Evo's, Skyline's etc much more.

All I can add is that I find the steering in our cars very vague compared to the likes of the RX7 and Esprit (even the early ones), but the fact that I am still a P944T owner basically sums up my car of choice and it wasn't decided by money!

I love my 944T and look forward to many more happy years of ownership as I hope we all do
Old 08-06-2008, 05:10 PM
SprintStar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
"Better built than a Lotus, more economical, but overall running costs are more expensive."

Is that possible? A turbo esprit could be cheaper to run?
I reckon the 951 has more running costs as we will be driving it more, thereby increasing the total fuel consumed, engine oil changed, etc... :-)

Sprint.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:44 AM
DanR 1201
Instructor

Got both an early 951 and the S4 Esprit.

Both great drives but the Lotus does impress me as a level or two higher.

I also get a lot of enjoyment working and maintaining them. With the 951 I tend to be **** wanting to keep the 951 original but not so with the Lotus. It feels more like a track car that has been converted to road use, lending itself more easily to tinkering and changing things without feeling guilty.

The S4 cuts sub 5's for the 100kph dash and would be hard to beat on winding backroads except for something very focussed such as the supercharged Exige or similar. For a rear engined car it can be very forgiving and manageable on the limit except in the wet. But then the 951 also can bite if it's wet.

As for running costs both can sting. Build quality.. definately the 951. But with the Lotus being hand built it can be easier to get things replicated. There are very few plastic mouldings with most things covered in leather.

Fortunately a lot of GM parts found their way into the latter Esprits which means they can be very reliable. Many more parts also come from other manufacturers which means I rarely have to get expensive Lotus "originals". For example, Delco EFI, Toyota tail lights, Saab steering rack and driving lights, Citroen door mirrors, Renault boxes similar to those fitted to the Alpine and Deloren, GM electric systems, Corvette bits and pieces, Brembo brakes etc etc.

Both great cars and keepers for me.

Quick Reply: Article: Lotus Esprit Turbo versus Porsche 944 Turbo