Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

:-) gotta post this pic here ... mu ha ha

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008 | 11:35 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tone3721
Whats wrong with wankels? Id put a wankel in well before GM crap. Maybe a b20t setup to run on bio-d!
nothing wrong with wankel, except their natural kamikaze instinct to self destruct. ohh and they sounding like mopeds.
Old 07-30-2008 | 11:44 AM
tone3721
Drifting

Lol, they do, sound like a moped. I got friends who swear by those engines, never say anything about self destructing, maybe theyre being bias. Seem to be simple and easy to work on. No redline is tempting.
Old 07-30-2008 | 12:54 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

The problem with rotaries is that they don't handle the slightest detonation. So a slight error in tuning or bad fuel is destructive. Reciprocal engines are typically more forgiving.
But a well sorted rotary can be quite amazing.

-Rogue
Old 07-30-2008 | 02:50 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

I have plenty of wankel friends, none seem to manage going a single year without rebuilding or trouble though, ironic part is that one of them used to work for a company rebuilding them
Old 08-19-2008 | 07:55 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tony, first this is not bs and sorry for all the bull**** I said in the past. Now on the serious side does your car still for sale? I am waiting for a small allocation and might be able to pull extra money from here and there and come up with the money to buy me a new toy. I was looking at these two examples of v8 conversions on ebay, but I don't know how they stand compare to your car. Btw is you race car v8 a street car as well.

In advance thanks

lart

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245

Old 08-19-2008 | 10:47 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lart951
Tony, first this is not bs and sorry for all the bull**** I said in the past. Now on the serious side does your car still for sale? I am waiting for a small allocation and might be able to pull extra money from here and there and come up with the money to buy me a new toy. I was looking at these two examples of v8 conversions on ebay, but I don't know how they stand compare to your car. Btw is you race car v8 a street car as well.

In advance thanks

lart

wow alot of money went into that second car. Geez
Old 08-19-2008 | 11:36 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

I am obviously missing something because the American V8 in a German sports car doesn't seem to achieve anything.

I absolutely love 944 Turbo's especially high horsepower ones. I admire what Porsche did with these cars especially considering it was the mid 80's, and sure there's much better technology, efficiency and performance available today. Just look at the 968 TurbRS of the early 90's

But $41K or more for a mid 80's chassis with an American pushrod v8 putting out 350hp, makes no sense when you can buy a 2003 996TT X50 putting out 450HP without breaking a sweat for similar money?

I guess there's a price to pay for uniqueness, even if the end result appears to be only that "uniqueness"

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:48 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by lart951

In advance thanks

lart

Lart,

Everything in life is for sale...

The two cars you posted links to are not in the same league.

My car is a race car with a minimal interior, just enough to hide the fact that it's a race car. It's registered, insured, and quite below 4k rpms, driven to and from the track, and is 100% alway in the top 3 lap times of the day (not counting tiny factory open wheel race cars).

It doesn't matter if it's a 996TT, a Z06, a Viper, an Evo, etc... Always a top 3 finisher driven to and from the track.

The car is race ready and fully dialed in.

TonyG
Old 08-20-2008 | 12:03 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Tony email me that info.Thanks dude.
Old 08-20-2008 | 12:08 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TonyG
Lart,

Everything in life is for sale...

The two cars you posted links to are not in the same league.

My car is a race car with a minimal interior, just enough to hide the fact that it's a race car. It's registered, insured, and quite below 4k rpms, driven to and from the track, and is 100% alway in the top 3 lap times of the day (not counting tiny factory open wheel race cars).

It doesn't matter if it's a 996TT, a Z06, a Viper, an Evo, etc... Always a top 3 finisher driven to and from the track.

The car is race ready and fully dialed in.

TonyG
Tony, you know bottom line no matter the stupid jokes I said in the past, I have always had the utmost respect for you, because you are a man that stand behind his achievements. I am waiting for some money from a little property that I sold as soon as I get it I’ll give a call. Thanks for your response and again sorry for sounding like a jerk in the past.

Regards

Luis
Old 08-20-2008 | 12:09 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by samluke
I am obviously missing something because the American V8 in a German sports car doesn't seem to achieve anything.

I absolutely love 944 Turbo's especially high horsepower ones. I admire what Porsche did with these cars especially considering it was the mid 80's, and sure there's much better technology, efficiency and performance available today. Just look at the 968 TurbRS of the early 90's

But $41K or more for a mid 80's chassis with an American pushrod v8 putting out 350hp, makes no sense when you can buy a 2003 996TT X50 putting out 450HP without breaking a sweat for similar money?

I guess there's a price to pay for uniqueness, even if the end result appears to be only that "uniqueness"

Hey Sam,

I can respect your position and opinion on this matter. I've owned the very cars you refer to. As well, I've run against them, and do so, on an ongoing basis.

The problem is that unless the 996TT has about $20K thrown at it, it won't run with my car. This based on tons of track experience. Yes you can get a 996TT to be faster than my 951V8. But it's gonna take a lot more than a stock 996TT in terms of weight, suspension, HP, and aero mods.

Furthermore... it would be almost trivial to slap on another 60+WHP to my car with the simple addition of a set of AFR heads ($2200) and an intake (<$850). The mods would take a few hours to install and would still allow the car to run 91 pump gas. :-)

As it is... it makes 390RWHP with a FAT power band. Another 60RWHP would put it at over 450HP at the wheel with a stupid fat power band.

As it sits now, a new LS7 Z06 can't pull my car down the straights. And the same brand new Z-06 with larger-than-stock Hoosiers is almost 2 seconds slower at WSIR with me running stock non-shaved NT-01's.

Imagine if I spend another $3500 and slapped on another 60RWHP. It just wouldn't be fair.

The bottom line is that you need to drive this car. You would change your tune if you drove the car. It's amazing. I've let a lot of people here with 951's drive the car and the response is always the same.... they want to put in the LS engine.

Just last Friday I was on top of Mulhulland Drive to with a bunch of people from Pelican forums... this was the King of the Hill thread (these were the actual people that did the book and the movie). There are 4 people there I let drive the car. All wanted to buy it. I'd love you to come down to LA.... I'll put you up and we can buddy it up at my new Pallapa Sports Bar .... oh yeah... and drive the car! You'll change your tune...

:-)

TonyG
Old 08-20-2008 | 05:03 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

to be honest 996TT's aint much of a threat at track unless you throw heavy money at them. GT3's are more of a challenge, but even with my pewny 290'ish hp or whatever I have now, my rigging allows me to take them at corner speed, straights and acceleration out of turns. the only place they gain is brakeing.

I recently bought an ls1 and will converting in winter, then try get it approved, and swap for ls376/480, voila instant 500RWHP and 2 years warranty.

even at same powerlevels at wheels, the v8 should take the turboengine, just because of the better powercurve.

soooo many 944 engines has died on track/to from track this year it's silly.

the 944 has 2 major flaws. engine and tranny.

a good conversion is both costly and takes a bit of time though, tonys' is a wee bit of inspiration you could say hoping to top it though!
Old 08-20-2008 | 08:09 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyG
You would change your tune if you drove the car. It's amazing.

TonyG
+100,000

Buts what's amazing, is that you find the patience to reply to something like that.
Old 08-20-2008 | 09:02 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well I see the conversion as a no brainer. In that there's not a lot wrong with the concept and it has what appears to be an almost unfair advantage over the 4 banger especially in terms of reliability. Some of us schmucks seem to be stuck on getting some serious hp/tq out of our i4s still, but I can see the reasons that you'd consider going this way.
Oh, here's a 996tt with V8 challenging torque for comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAxmO...eature=related
Old 08-20-2008 | 09:27 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Cool car, but I think you should ditch the turbo badge unless your planning on turboing your ls1... btw, how come nobody does carbed v8? It's a hell of alot simpler

Quick Reply: :-) gotta post this pic here ... mu ha ha