Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

airbox back to back

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 AM
sawood12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbox back to back

Have searched but not found anything conclusive. Has anyone performed a true back to back with and without the stock airbox with a MAF setup? I've had the Vitesse MAF on my shopping list for some time and am now getting close to taking the plunge and am now starting to plan what I am going to get to fit into my budget. The slightly cheaper cost of the stealth MAF kit as well as keeping the stock appearance appeals, but I don't want the airbox to compromise my ultimate aims.

My ultimate aim is not that ambitious compared with alot on the forum - i'm targetting circa 350 flywheel HP (not sure what that would translate to in terms of RWHP) which I want to achieve with around 17-ish psi of boost (no more than 18psi) - i.e. relatively low boost to maintain reliability. Obviously I also have turbo, exhaust etc planned but want to take the jump with the MAF first.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

should get close on the stock airbox with the right turbo
Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing you will notice is a bit slower spoolup with the AFM and box. I have done a back to back with a MAP setup and My ported AFM with stock box and the differences I have seen are:

1) slower spoolup
2) in my case the boost falls off at the very high end even with a big turbo I had it set to 25 psi and it would drop off pretty dramatically.

At 17 psi I don't think you would have any problems making the power you want, but spoolup will be slower

edit: OOps I misread your post. Ignore above in regards to the AFM
Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 AM
sawood12
Racer

Not sure I want to compromise turbo spool up as the car is prodominantly a street DD.

Anyone aware of any airbox mods that retain the box? I'm thinking primarily something like ditching the panel air filter and using a cone filter inside the box and hooking up the other end of the snorkel to some brake cooling ducting to divert air directly into the airbox rather than it just sucking static air from inside the fender?

Quick Reply: airbox back to back