Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

k&n x-stream air filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
Many tests have been done on various foam filters.
Results in general: foam flows great and filters poor.

For a racecar this may be acceptable.
For street/multi-use bad idea.
this is what i have read/heard as well, which is why i replaced the foam filter with this k&n.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too use a K&n, but keep in mind that you really have to stay on top of the maintenance of the K&n filters. As soon as you can't see pink, it's time for a cleaning.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by 2bridges
Many tests have been done on various foam filters.
Results in general: foam flows great and filters poor.

For a racecar this may be acceptable.
For street/multi-use bad idea.
According to their web site, the ITG filters are a triple layer foam with each layer being of different density... apparently, they can filter to below 5 microns - they say their system (unlike some other foam filters I guess) has superior filtration as well as better flow.

I'm interested in further comments on these... Also, anyone used their cold air boxes?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

5 microns ain't that great. I'm not saying it's bad, but for a point of reference, military jets used to use 3 mic's or less, as their standard, in hydraulic systems. 5 mic's can become a lot of funk, pretty quickly.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by ehall
5 microns ain't that great. I'm not saying it's bad, but for a point of reference, military jets used to use 3 mic's or less, as their standard, in hydraulic systems. 5 mic's can become a lot of funk, pretty quickly.
Thanks ehall!

Actually, i think the "well below 5 microns" statement relates to just their foam without oil... I might contact their tech department to get a better answer.

Do you know what level OEM paper elements filter down to? What about K&N.

One of the guys I know who had to do an engine rebuild is a mechanic and was using a new pre oiled K&N filter. After doing the rebuild, he still uses a K&N filter but with a foam sock over it.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Those are some good questions, to which I don't know the answers. When you find out let us all know. I believe my new one has the stock air box configuration, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll be switching to Maf, so this thread is of interest to me.
My current car is going to the lartyard.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneqco
Thanks ehall!

Actually, i think the "well below 5 microns" statement relates to just their foam without oil... I might contact their tech department to get a better answer.

Do you know what level OEM paper elements filter down to? What about K&N.

One of the guys I know who had to do an engine rebuild is a mechanic and was using a new pre oiled K&N filter. After doing the rebuild, he still uses a K&N filter but with a foam sock over it.
You can not beat a pape filter for filtration, there are better than a cotton filter (K&N). Foam filters rely on oil for the very little stuff more than a K&N would.

I have run either piper cross or ITG filter on my cars, the flow difference is noticable and makes the turbo spool quicker. Many intake kits use ITG filters, they do not filter quite as well as a cotton filter but the difference is not enough that it matters to me, you just can't let it dry out. IMO they are fine for the street, but maybe not off road applictations.

ITG will continue to be my filter of choice.

Quick Reply: k&n x-stream air filter