Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Time estimate to replace turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Time estimate to replace turbo

I want to get an idea of how much time to set aside for this job. Any ball bark estimates on the time it takes to replace the turbo? I have never done it before on a 951. Have done a few headgaskets so i can get most of the top end off pretty quickly. I am hoping to not have to much trouble with seized fasteners it as it was taken out maybe 10k miles ago for a rebuild by the previous owners shop.

I am putting in a K27/6 . I have the NAPA part # for the short water temp sensor and a few fittings to offset the coolant waterline.

Im planning on installing a MAF at the same time.. or depending how long this turbo r&r can potentially take i may install only the MAF for the time being and hold off on the turbo until the off season.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:49 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive never done one w/o dropping the motor and on the engine stand it takes a few hours. IN the car wouldnt be bad except the one bolt on the crossover pipe- make sure you loosen the lower header bolts it'll save you alot of headaches trying to line up the crossover-->turbo pipe bolts.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:25 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I's a 2 t-shirt job and add a shirt for broken studs...;] Bruce
Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that really depends. A straight swap of same turbo is fairly straight forward.

With an aftermarket turbo you get into modifying/clearancing turbo mount, intake manifold, return spring, water inlet, multiple exhaust adjustments/fitting, J-boot/inlet changes, bov connection to , etc, it can turn into a real job.

And on a job to this level you always forget something - o-ring for dipstick tube, or wrong exhaust seals, etc,etc better plan for downtime
Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

One very full day in your case.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, i really appreciate it. I think i may wait until the off season to put it in, to many auto-x's and track days coming up i dont want to miss.

With the turbo out, i should have a pretty decent shot at the AOS o-rings also i assume. I have read about drilling a hole in the brake booster heat shield so i can access the lower bolt, so the AOS can be taken off without turbo removal.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

3-4 days from opening the hood till test driving, but i replaced virtually everything associated with the turbo with it (such as new coolant pipe to turbo, new turbo water pump, hoses, clamps, AOS seals and so on) and had the heat shields, hatdware and anything else that could be plated replated, i was going to replace the steering shaft, but time was not on my side.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you will spend a couple hours just getting the two mounting bolts on and off.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

It's taken me 10 months since I popped the head gasket, though I've been a little... "sidetracked" in planning upgrades, and going through various other cars. If you promise yourself you don't want that extra few hp, and you have all of the parts, with previous knowledge of the motor, and all the necessary tools, you might be able to pull it off in a day. I'd plan for a weekend of work at a minimum, though, personally. You might consider starting on it Friday night, and getting up early on Saturday to chug through the process.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Plan on about 13 hours your first time, possibly more depending on how fast you work. It is doable in about 3 once you have done a few.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I started too... and a year later the car is still in pieces and I keep buying more.

I decided to go all out though... so she won't be back together any time soon.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:56 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it in less then an hour.

It takes Special Tool 2 hours and ten minutes.

Mere mortals do it, at best, in 3-4 hours.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

the first time ...it took 8 hrs...the other two times about 2 to 3 hrs each...the first time i was running around finding tools to make the job easier...get yourself a swivel head socket set (i think that what they call it)and extensions for your socket wrench and pb blaster if you havent had the turbo off before
Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

My first time I must have done it in about 10-15 min. Probably should mention the engine was on a stand

When I did it on a friends car it must have taken about 8 hours total to pull out the old turbo and install new turbo, wastegate, venturi delete with the typical interruptions
Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you'd move way quicker than me.
I'd say it took me at least 16hrs for me to remove and reinstall my turbo, exhaust and intake manifold spread over a couple of weekends.
I spent 2 hours trying to carefully remove that metal gasket on the cross over pipe, before realizing i could just skewer it savagely with a screwdriver and lever it out. Lots of these little newby problems added up to plenty of hours for me. Putting the intake manifold back on, playing around with routing wires and vacuum hoses etc must have taken me a couple of hours too, i read here that people do that in 10 mins lol Bleeding the coolant, probably took me an hour of pottering around.
With my footy team on the radio in the background the hours tick by pretty quickly, go Cats!

Quick Reply: Time estimate to replace turbo