RS Carpet Kit w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey there MJ,

Just got off the phone with Bob from Appbiz and he remembered you because I told him about the thread you made on Rennlist for this install. He said I can order the carpet kit in either Flat Felt or Lightweight Plush (which is very similar to paint brush material) he recommended the lightweight plush.

Wanted to ask you if the kit in the pics of your install was Flat Felt?
He can also run another type material that is popular on 911's but would be like 5 or 600 bucks he said.

He also mentioned that with his kit the need for gluing is reduced to only where you need to because of the mold I believe. Said that where the center console is you can just tuck it, but I noticed in your pics the entire carpet piece overlaps the entire tunnel where the console would originally sit.

Appreciate the help.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Hey Perc,

I would ask Bob to send you a couple sample material swatches. You want to make sure you know what you are getting. The felt is thin, my car is not a daily driver. I don't use car mats but would if I drove it more or had passengers in the car often. I did install a Stainless Steel heel plate beneath the pedals which takes the wear issue out for that area but floor mats would still be recommended for a daily driver. When I was researching my project I ordered samples from a couple carpet kit suppliers. If I recall correctly I ended up with the Black Perlon Felt. I found my receipt, the invoice does not specify but is described as 'CK944BF - Black Felt'. I would still order a couple samples.

The center council is one of the areas I customized, I believe the kit has both floor boards as one piece that goes over the tunnel. I wanted to seperate the floor boards to better control the fit and finish. And used a final third piece to fit over the tunnel with finish seams down near the floor boards. The transition from the tunnel to the rear seat, if you are doing the rear seat delete, is tricky.

In the end I used 3M Hi-Strength spray adhesive for most of the pieces. I did use velcro for the rear hatch mat and at the passenger front floor board for easy access to the DME/KLR boxes. If you have ever installed glue down carpeting the process is similar. Dry fit first, I used blue painters tape to hold things down and make sure the pieces were fitting well and to figure out the order of installation. Once you are happy with the dry fit, remove all pieces and install one piece at a time. Dry fit the piece to go in and fold it in half. Carefully spray the back with adhesive and also the surface it is mounting to. I used a role of trace paper and cardboard to protect the inside of the car and the finish surface of the carpet pieces as I installed them. With the adhesive on, fold the piece back over and press down/smooth out, then do the same thing for the second half. First piece is in! The adhesive is not very forgiving so take your time but the 3M 90 is thick so not a lot of overspray.

Don't forget to reference the PDF Presentation I created and Duke was kind enough to host for us. What I drew up and customized may not be exactly what ended up in the carpet kit but hopefully it helps.

Keep us posted, and good luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mj951
I did install a Stainless Steel heel plate beneath the pedals which takes the wear issue out for that area but floor mats would still be recommended for a daily driver.

The center council is one of the areas I customized, I believe the kit has both floor boards as one piece that goes over the tunnel. I wanted to seperate the floor boards to better control the fit and finish. And used a final third piece to fit over the tunnel with finish seams down near the floor boards. The transition from the tunnel to the rear seat, if you are doing the rear seat delete, is tricky.

In the end I used 3M Hi-Strength spray adhesive for most of the pieces. I did use velcro for the rear hatch mat and at the passenger front floor board for easy access to the DME/KLR boxes. If you have ever installed glue down carpeting the process is similar. Dry fit first, I used blue painters tape to hold things down and make sure the pieces were fitting well and to figure out the order of installation. Once you are happy with the dry fit, remove all pieces and install one piece at a time. Dry fit the piece to go in and fold it in half. Carefully spray the back with adhesive and also the surface it is mounting to. I used a role of trace paper and cardboard to protect the inside of the car and the finish surface of the carpet pieces as I installed them. With the adhesive on, fold the piece back over and press down/smooth out, then do the same thing for the second half. First piece is in! The adhesive is not very forgiving so take your time but the 3M 90 is thick so not a lot of overspray.

Don't forget to reference the PDF Presentation I created and Duke was kind enough to host for us. What I drew up and customized may not be exactly what ended up in the carpet kit but hopefully it helps.

Keep us posted, and good luck.
MJ Thanks for responding.
Did you make the stainless steel plate yourself?

I see what your saying in regards to the front floor board pieces and console/tunnel being all ONE piece. Did it not fit in very nice? So you cut the kit basically where the tunnel carpet meets the floor board it sounds like.

By the way, when you were dry fitting, spraying adhesive etc. Did you just simply install directly over the bare metal? Or is it necessary to install like dynomat or sum sort of pad/foam and then put down the carpet?? Or maybe the dynomat/pad I should just put down in the rear to stop the noise? My thought process was basically just going with the carpet directly over what is there after I tear out and clean the floor. Recommend any specific product to remove all the old glue/tar that will be left?

Lastly, how were you able to integrate the velcro for the rear and passenger footwell because yes that is a good idea so you can have easy access to DME/KLR. Like even right now with my stock carpet, I can simply bend back that area and the box is there under the passenger footwell area. So whatever I see in the PDF is not necessary exactly how the carpet set will ship. I will confirm that with Bob.

Thanks for all the input/help MJ
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perculator00

I see what your saying in regards to the front floor board pieces and console/tunnel being all ONE piece. Did it not fit in very nice? So you cut the kit basically where the tunnel carpet meets the floor board it sounds like.

By the way, when you were dry fitting, spraying adhesive etc. Did you just simply install directly over the bare metal? Or is it necessary to install like dynomat or sum sort of pad/foam and then put down the carpet?? Or maybe the dynomat/pad I should just put down in the rear to stop the noise? My thought process was basically just going with the carpet directly over what is there after I tear out and clean the floor. Recommend any specific product to remove all the old glue/tar that will be left?

Lastly, how were you able to integrate the velcro for the rear and passenger footwell because yes that is a good idea so you can have easy access to DME/KLR. Like even right now with my stock carpet, I can simply bend back that area and the box is there under the passenger footwell area. So whatever I see in the PDF is not necessary exactly how the carpet set will ship. I will confirm that with Bob.

Another nice option would be the track mats from rennline.

http://www.rennline.com/Track-Mats/products/159/
Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

I ordered sheet stock from McMaster-Carr, rounded the corners and eased the edges with a grinder and dremel and counter sunk the screws.
The Rennlist floor boards are a nice option, I really like the flat black.

Exactly, I was looking for a tight fit and with seperate pieces it was easier to align the many other curves/contours/edges. The tunnel piece had finish seams and overlapped the ends of the floor board pieces as they came up the tunnel a few inches. Pay close attention to where the top rear of the tunnel piece meets with and overlaps the rear seat delete kit. I had to cut a small piece of extra material to fill a gap at the rear of the tunnel. Pic below.

I removed the OEM sound pad, nice weight savings, and re-installed some light weight foil faced padding in select area. The padding I found online and was cheap noting special, i'll try and dig up the name of the supplier. Again, I was looking for a tight/smooth finish. Pic below.

Right, same as stock at the passenger foot well. Double stuck velcro to the back of the carpet and plywood board. The hatch mat is also held in place using velcro.

Yeah, Bob never saw my final changes and unfortunetly I didn't cut templets but with the kit in hand and using my photos you should be able to improve on the design. On a few of the pieces, I used additional felt and seaming material purchased from Bob, cut them to fit, used blue painters tape to show where I wanted a seam sewn and took them to a local seamstress.
The dead pedal was an area I customized, along with some others but don't recall all of them. Mainly because I was being picky, but the additional material gave me the confidence that I could get the fit and finish I was looking for.
Attached Images   
Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Getting ready to put my kit in. I have a quick question though. On the door sills there are those rubber/plastic runners that seem to attach to the carpet. How do those come out? Are they bound in some way?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:42 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good question! I would like to know as well. TIA
Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

There are spring clips that are just pressed in by hand that secure the sill trim to a ridge. The old trim usually breaks trying to remove...good luck.
http://www.944online.com/images/prod...rimclipkit.gif
Old 09-05-2014, 04:39 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well ain't that just crapalicious news. Dammit.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:20 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by zeusrotty
Getting ready to put my kit in. I have a quick question though. On the door sills there are those rubber/plastic runners that seem to attach to the carpet. How do those come out? Are they bound in some way?
Good luck Eric, be sure to keep us updated on your progress. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:33 AM
zeusrotty
Pro

Yeah I ended up figuring it out the other night. One of the pieces made it out alive. The other on was actually broken already. (Drivers side). So I need to find a new one of those. I started gutting it from the back to the front and I was just finally able to get both seats out and all the carpet from the back to the piece that runs under the seats. Tomorrow I will do the rest which means pulling the center console along with the stereo.

Also as sound deadening I am using self sticking heat and ac vent insulation. It's cheap, and it work well.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Yeah I ended up figuring it out the other night. One of the pieces made it out alive. The other on was actually broken already. (Drivers side). So I need to find a new one of those. I started gutting it from the back to the front and I was just finally able to get both seats out and all the carpet from the back to the piece that runs under the seats. Tomorrow I will do the rest which means pulling the center console along with the stereo.

Also as sound deadening I am using self sticking heat and ac vent insulation. It's cheap, and it work well.
I did that same stuff on my hatch floor and doors and it did make a bit of noise difference...more on the doors than the hatch area though.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:15 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Any comments or updates on this subject?
Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

I'm a little late back to the party but as I recall the long plastic pieces at the sill are friction fit. They pull right up and fit back down over the new carpet install. Edit: Fluid Play has it right, there were some clips under there. I don't recall how I took them out but I didn't have to replace them and got the plastic trim out in one piece. Also had about a two or three inch crack at the back edge of my drivers side but left it. It's were my hand goes getting out of the car and as I recall I cracked that piece early in my ownership. Damn it.

When I installed my carpet we were developing the kit so some of my pieces were oversized because I wanted to custom cut them to fit and as I recall the floor carpets were some of the ones I trimmed, specifically at the door sills. The carpet is holding up well looks the same as when I installed it.

Last edited by mj951; 12-10-2021 at 12:49 AM.

Quick Reply: RS Carpet Kit w/pics