Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bad KLR , No Start Condition ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
davepnola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad KLR , No Start Condition ??

Other day I fired up the garage car and she ran for a few seconds and died ...
No spark condition, ended up being the KLR keeping it from running. I changed the chip with another , still no spark condition. I opened the KLR and resoldered joints, but did not notice any cold ones with naked eye. I did notice a capacitor that the bottom might of blew out, but I was not totally convinced.

Ok what keeps the ignition from firing when the KLR fails.

I think the capacitor is at location c303 , 10v 220uf ?? It is at the back right lower board of the KLR.. Thanks for any input ........... Dave
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I think I remember reading in the service manual that the car will run without the KLR... (not that well, but it should start)
Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

You need to jumper pins 9 and 16 on th KLR plug for the car to start and run without the KLR. It's not recommended for driving just troubleshooting.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The KLR supplies ground to the injectors, if I remember correctly. So no.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 PM
davepnola
Racer

Just looking to repair it !! I had another and the car is running. Anyone a KLR expert ??
Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee101315
The KLR supplies ground to the injectors, if I remember correctly. So no.
The DME pulses the ground to the Injectors, power is supplied to the injectors through the DME relay.

The jumper needs to be added to get the timing signal back to the DME which generated it in the first place. With the jumper added, the KLR isn't needed. As stated above, don't run it down the street this way.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
davepnola
Racer

This KLR produced no spark. I am thinking this capacitor blew out ? Battery was dead and I charged overnight , started for 5 seconds , killed and had a bad KLR ...... was hoping to find a fix to have an extra KLR Thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The timing signal generates the injector and coil pulses that go out of the DME. So, the timing signal goes through the KLR to adjust for boost. No timing signal going through the KLR, no spark. The 944NA DME works without a KLR unit, the KLR was added for boost control.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 07-04-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
The timing signal generates the injector and coil pulses that go out of the DME. So, the timing signal goes through the KLR to adjust for boost. No timing signal going through the KLR, no spark. The NA DME works without a KLR unit, the KLR has added for boost control.
Give that man a see-gar!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:04 AM
davepnola
Racer

Ok I understand how the KLR works, but are u saying theoretically that the KLR could not cause the car to run ? My KLR must have killed the timing signal coming from the DME. Should I try to replace this capacitor ? Thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, the KLR passes ( or modifies) the timing signal to allow boost control. Try jumpering the timing signal at the KLR and see if that works. If it does, get the KLR fixed or replaced.

What capacitor are you talking about? The timing is controlled in the KLR by the uP, there is a driver and a input buffer. It isn't just one part that deals with the timing signal in the KLR.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:36 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I am reviving this thread to say thanks to those who have contributed---after years of working on customer 944 Turbos, I thought that I had encountered every manner of crank/no-start possible, but had never personally experienced a KLR-caused no-start until today.

I have a customer's '89 951 in the shop, had some crispy/broken engine speed and reference sensors and a suspected issue with an aftermarket alarm/immobilizer system that would intermittently squawk and chirp, so those items were suspicious. I got out the breaker box and oscilloscope and confirmed that all of the inputs and outputs to the DME were good, had injector pulse but no switching signal to terminal 1 of the ignition coil. I double-checked everything again and thought I was going crazy until I remembered about the KLR. The switching signal to the coil comes from the transistor in the DME, but is first fed via DME pin 31 to the KLR pin 9, and is then transmitted back to the DME from KLR pin 16 to DME pin 32 and then fed to the ignition coil via DME pin # 1.

Hopefully this helps someone even if they don't have a spare KLR to plug in. Even if you don't have an oscilloscope to check for the square-wave pattern of the ignition switching signal, you can use a test light to check for this at the coil terminal 1, then DME pins 31, 32, and 1, or jumper KLR pins 9 and 16 as noted above (though only for testing purposes, not for driving!).
The following users liked this post:
divil (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 06:45 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
I am reviving this thread to say thanks to those who have contributed---after years of working on customer 944 Turbos, I thought that I had encountered every manner of crank/no-start possible, but had never personally experienced a KLR-caused no-start until today.

I have a customer's '89 951 in the shop, had some crispy/broken engine speed and reference sensors and a suspected issue with an aftermarket alarm/immobilizer system that would intermittently squawk and chirp, so those items were suspicious. I got out the breaker box and oscilloscope and confirmed that all of the inputs and outputs to the DME were good, had injector pulse but no switching signal to terminal 1 of the ignition coil. I double-checked everything again and thought I was going crazy until I remembered about the KLR. The switching signal to the coil comes from the transistor in the DME, but is first fed via DME pin 31 to the KLR pin 9, and is then transmitted back to the DME from KLR pin 16 to DME pin 32 and then fed to the ignition coil via DME pin # 1.

Hopefully this helps someone even if they don't have a spare KLR to plug in. Even if you don't have an oscilloscope to check for the square-wave pattern of the ignition switching signal, you can use a test light to check for this at the coil terminal 1, then DME pins 31, 32, and 1, or jumper KLR pins 9 and 16 as noted above (though only for testing purposes, not for driving!).
Good advice. It's also worth knowing that pin 31 from the DME drives both the KLR ignition input *and* the tachometer, in parallel. That's why it's so important to note if your tach needle bounces while cranking. If it does, then your DME is definitely outputting an ignition signal. At that point, if you still don't have a spark, it's down to the KLR or the coil. So you can eliminate a lot just by watching the tach.
The following users liked this post:
Droops83 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 03:14 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
Good advice. It's also worth knowing that pin 31 from the DME drives both the KLR ignition input *and* the tachometer, in parallel. That's why it's so important to note if your tach needle bounces while cranking. If it does, then your DME is definitely outputting an ignition signal. At that point, if you still don't have a spark, it's down to the KLR or the coil. So you can eliminate a lot just by watching the tach.
And...the factory boost gauge is driven by the KLR, and should read about 1 with the ignition on and the motor not running. That's a pretty good proxy for knowing if the KLR/DME is getting power. Between tach bounce and the boost gauge, you can tell quite a bit without leaving the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom M'Guinn:
divil (12-06-2020), Droops83 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:56 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
And...the factory boost gauge is driven by the KLR, and should read about 1 with the ignition on and the motor not running. That's a pretty good proxy for knowing if the KLR/DME is getting power. Between tach bounce and the boost gauge, you can tell quite a bit without leaving the car.
That makes a lot of sense, and at least partially explains why my factory boost gauge has gone from reading absolute pressure with the factory system to reading gauge pressure since installing the VEMS engine management system and connecting the KLR line to the built-in MAP sensor. It is quite accurate, though.

Last edited by Droops83; 12-07-2020 at 02:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad KLR , No Start Condition ??