Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do I really have to buy 80/100W bulbs online?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
over bumps is your primary consideration?
Oh sorry. I should point out sarcasm as it occurs so others do not take it as opinion or fact.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Zuba951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have wiring diagrams and pictures of how to add the extra wires and relays? I’m running 55/100. I don’t normally use high beams but driving on the back country roads in NJ they come in handy. I did pull up behind some dude going real slow one time and to nudge him on I flicked on the high beams for a sec. I saw a shadow of his head on the headliner of his car….that was funny!

Brian
86 951
Old 06-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where can i buy a good heavy duty relay to make my own harness?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wattage is NOT the only consideration when it comes to blinding other drivers. The LENSE & overall voltage play larger rolls, as well as headlight aiming. Hence, what Travis is so desperately trying to explain. Ever wonder why some cars get twice the light from a set of bulbs that another car can? Lense technology has come a long way & combined w/aim, voltage (loss), etc, it makes a tremendous dif.

Again, the main reason why we are having so many probs, here in the US, is b/c of DOT lenses. If trying to run higher wattage bulbs, get some E-codes. Travis is right- MOST people try to skimp on costs & do not realize the importance of E-codes...

Dan Wray went through all of this, probably 15yrs ago, when he made his first headlight kit (for himself). I remember running his headlight kit, from the very first run. 90/100 Narva H4's, the harness was hooked up backwards (at the battery), no supplemental ground, no AVR, etc, & I blinded SEVERAL drivers on my way home the first night. I asked if I was just putting out too much light- he explained to me that my headlights were NOT aimed properly- that HE had run higher wattage, WITH the AVR (set at 14.6!), w/the harness hooked up correctly & several extra grounds & would have been producing ~TWICE the lumens I was. He said he NEVER had oncoming drivers flash him. He would not have lied to me- I knew him too well & it would not have hurt his feelings if I'd have removed his kit... I readjusted my newly installed E-codes & since then, I've only INcreased my light ouput & I'm NEVER being signaled by other drivers. I've driven behind cops for MILES & never been questioned. By contrast, I was pulled over one night for driving behind a cop in my Integra w/STOCK bulbs...

2-Bridges- one of the biggest probs we're having these days is the F&F crowd trying to immitate the "blue" look of HID's. Or, running higher wattage bulbs w/OUT E-code lenses. The sharp cut-off does the trick if aimed properly. I can only suspect that you've run into some very incosiderate drivers who've taken the simple, cheap way out. But I promise you, that some sort of wattage cap will not fix the prob. Sort of like speed limits not stopping speeders OR the "war on drugs" not stopping drug use- in some ways, it only makes it all worse. All I'm trying to say is, that w/headlights, you can have your cake & eat it too- at least to some extent...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cory- try Travis OR Daniel Stern- you can google Daniel Stern- I have a link, but ask Travis first, since he's one of ours... :-) Dan's relays are Hella relays & can be quite expensive- we're having trouble finding more at a reasonable price. Not sure how he aquired them. We are about to finish the 11 partially finished headlight harnesses (complete w/relays, etc), but one will still need to source lenses, etc unless I luck out & find some...

Quick Reply: Do I really have to buy 80/100W bulbs online?