Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do I really have to buy 80/100W bulbs online?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

The low and high beam wiring is fused for 7.5 amps. You will exceed that with a 80/100 watt set-up.

The calculation is watts/voltage=current. So 100 watts/12 volts=8.33 amps.

Now, the electrical engineers who designed the system would have fused it so that the fuse would blow when only half the current carrying capacity of the wire was achieved. This is done so that the fuse blows well before the wire catches fire. So theoretically you could up the fuse to 10 amp and get away with it. However, that is assuming that your wiring and grounds are in pristine condition, which they are not.

Your best and safest bet is to use the existing wires to activate relays close to the lamps and run higher capacity wires to provide the power the lamps.

Mike
Old 06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on making a new harness with relays for sure, I was just wondering if 80W on low beam with E codes would still be blinding other drivers like 2bridges said.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 90/130 Yellowstars that we sell do not blind oncoming traffic when put in a proper Ecode housing. You turn them on High Beam and its a different story all together.
A good Ecode housing does put the majority of the light down on the road so the wattage is not as much of a factor as the aiming of the lens.

If you need some parts for your harness (male h4 connector and terminals) just let me know.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, heck I haven't had any trouble with mine at all - 90/130s on a daily driver. Every morning and every night. Never any sort of problem and have even saved me a few deer/turkey hits. I try to dim them anytime there is oncoming traffic. Bruce
Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 PM
2bridges
Drifting

you people that seem to think it is fine to run that this much light........
have somebody else drive you car while you drive something else and see for yourself. drive around a curve head on and down a hill head on, then behind you going down a hill.....

Rude and inconsiderate is an understatement.
90W lights in your face is awful to drive against.
130W is nearing criminal in my book. May get you dragged out of your car and your *** beat as well.

enough from me on the topic, but stop and think for a minute before making everybody else on the road miserable with your "upgrade"
Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 PM
MrPorsche951
Banned

I have the HID Catz 12v60/55w - 130/120w . Azzuri Whites....

My left low stopped working while driving home, for 40 miles I drove with brights on.

Amazing lights. Illegal as hell, but Amazing lights!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 2bridges
have somebody else drive you car while you drive something else and see for yourself.
Check.. did that more times and in more ways than you could imagine. When a set of real hella Ecodes are aimed correctly there is absolutely no problem.
If you put high wattage bulbs in a cheap set of E codes, or DOT lenses, then you have major problems with oncoming traffic.
I would guess that 99% of people out there running high wattage bulbs do not spend the money on real E code lenses and that is where you see your problem.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 AM
porcho heat
Pro

Got my light set up from ^^ and have never had a complaint about my lights blinding anyone, highbeam flash, anything... through 90/130s (yellowstars - which are awesome but life-span is too short) and the 80/100s I run right now (Nice white bright light)
Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
Check.. did that more times and in more ways than you could imagine. When a set of real hella Ecodes are aimed correctly there is absolutely no problem.
If you put high wattage bulbs in a cheap set of E codes, or DOT lenses, then you have major problems with oncoming traffic.
I would guess that 99% of people out there running high wattage bulbs do not spend the money on real E code lenses and that is where you see your problem.
e-code lenses will not stop a driver being blinded by an oncoming car coming over a hill, or a following car coming down a hill or a car hitting an bump in the road. They will have the full force of your 80/90w bulbs in their eyes. Once you get hit by the light your night vision is impared for some time after. The law is in place to protect in these situations, hence a 55w limit. BTW the limit is the same in Europe too for the same reasons.

If you really want to increase your lighting efficiency without breaking the law, fit aftermarket HID's, the legal 4300k variety than run on only 35w. Your stock wiring will work ok on that wattage so no relays and the light is far superior (whiter).
Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gina.kane
e-code lenses will not stop a driver being blinded by an oncoming car coming over a hill, or a following car coming down a hill or a car hitting an bump in the road.
You live in FL right? Yeah.. me too. I hate it when people come over ??hills?? with high wattage bulbs.

Joking aside, that doesn't happen with properly aimed E codes. I know you see a lot of $29 blue light specials running at over 100w with no pattern at all on the lens blinding everyone they pass. If you have ever seen a set of high wattage bulbs in good ecode housings while driving, you probably didn't even notice.

As for the HID setups... The worst thing you can do is put a HID bulb in a housing made for a halogen/xenon bulb if you are worried about your fellow driver's night vision.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

You live in FL right? Yeah.. me too. I hate it when people come over ??hills?? with high wattage bulbs.

Yes Travis, not many hills here and our ultra-smooth roads on I-95 don't cause a problem with me at night either and no-ones properly aimed lights hit my rear view mirror every time they hit a bump in the road. I'm just saying that 55w is easier to deal with than 80/90w at night regardles of e-code, DOT code or whatever.

Joking aside, that doesn't happen with properly aimed E codes. I know you see a lot of $29 blue light specials running at over 100w with no pattern at all on the lens blinding everyone they pass. If you have ever seen a set of high wattage bulbs in good ecode housings while driving, you probably didn't even notice.

As for the HID setups... The worst thing you can do is put a HID bulb in a housing made for a halogen/xenon bulb if you are worried about your fellow driver's night vision.
Maybe I am wrong but I thought that HID reflector type bulbs (D2R) are designed to fit into regular halogen housings. I agree that the D2S projector type are no good, but D2R sends the light back to the reflector and then out through the lens, just like halogen.

Mike
Old 06-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

The lenses that are made for standard halogen bulbs cannot handle the HID light. To further answer your question.. the HID bulbs are DOT. Some housings that they will fit in are DOT. Use of them together is specifically not approved and there is good reason for this.

Here is some reading that will give you an optimistic report on their use together. Note that the poster levels them 15% lower than they should be and talks of an "upward splash." You want to talk about blinding people over bumps...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...ostid=33218930

Just trying to help in the quest to not blind people over bumps. I have put together most setups that you can think about and the Hella E codes with 80 to 90 W low beams work the best.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
2bridges
Drifting

how funny how topology seems closely related to "opinion".
over bumps is your primary consideration?

Here - on any of the millions of hilly, curving rural two lane hwy is ten fold worse. Perhaps if you were here your opinion of "acceptable" in terms of blinding other drivers would be different. I don't care what lens you use - 100watt in this environment will blind the **** out of everybody. No exception. Other drivers will be in your light path no matter the adjustment.

Clearly many don't understand or care

Party on
Old 06-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The lenses that are made for standard halogen bulbs cannot handle the HID light. To further answer your question.. the HID bulbs are DOT. Some housings that they will fit in are DOT. Use of them together is specifically not approved and there is good reason for this.

Here is some reading that will give you an optimistic report on their use together. Note that the poster levels them 15% lower than they should be and talks of an "upward splash." You want to talk about blinding people over bumps...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...ostid=33218930

Just trying to help in the quest to not blind people over bumps. I have put together most setups that you can think about and the Hella E codes with 80 to 90 W low beams work the best.
Ahahahahahahahah

The quest to not blind people over bumps is a never ending endeavor indeed
Old 06-27-2008, 06:07 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HIDs (even OEM on new cars) are blinding coming over bumps and such too.... So meh.

Quick Reply: Do I really have to buy 80/100W bulbs online?