Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Like so?

Yes...

Originally Posted by lart951
The car flexes at the top so a strut brace plus the one below will make it more rigid.
...and yes, idealy get both.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see how the strut brace at the bottom does anything at all.

Don't forget the crossmember acts as a brace down there already and the casterblocks are bolted the frame rails. Not much flexing down there and not like the limited support of the strut tops. I might be different if you could create a X along with the strock crossmember, but that is not going to happen given the exhaust and oil pan locations.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha, shoot me a PM with who he is and I'll start persuading
Extra Dynatech bar that I bought in the group buy - never been used - perfect condition.... Don't really want to sell but would be tempted at $600.

Here is a pic of the one in my car...

Old 06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B
Extra Dynatech bar that I bought in the group buy - never been used - perfect condition.... Don't really want to sell but would be tempted at $600.

Here is a pic of the one in my car...

Your price went up since last time you posted about maybe selling it. I WANT IT! GAH! You have everything I want...
Old 06-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your price went up since last time you posted about maybe selling it. I WANT IT! GAH! You have everything I want...
Muhaha - you need to come to Atlanta where we have a little bit of everything squirreled away Got a load at the zinc guy's place that I am picking up on friday - gonna be nice!! Need to call the ceramic coating guy so that I can pick up the two 951 exhaust sets and the "special" downpipe I found the other day...
Old 06-24-2008, 03:24 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by M758
I don't see how the strut brace at the bottom does anything at all.

Don't forget the crossmember acts as a brace down there already and the casterblocks are bolted the frame rails. Not much flexing down there and not like the limited support of the strut tops. I might be different if you could create a X along with the strock crossmember, but that is not going to happen given the exhaust and oil pan locations.
I have it in my head and have seen it on paper but I'll attempt to make sense of it verbally.

Look at it as a U. The front is supported by the bottom of the "U" (which would be the crossmember)where it's connected together however there is little support between the top part of the "U" where the castor blocks are. With a hard suspension, the forces cause the top of this "U"(between the castor blocks) to widen or shrink while the bottom(crossmember) stays supported.

The same thing can be said for the strut towers and why a brace helps there. There is some support already from the inner fenders and firewall but it still flexes and twists. Connecting a bar across to the other side lessens the flex side to side but does littles for the twisting action that will still take place. I agree as you stated a X brace would greatly lessen the twisting involved however that is much more work and not very practical.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Darwantae951

Hey Josh, you have a PM regarding that brace
Old 06-24-2008, 07:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by eniac
I have it in my head and have seen it on paper but I'll attempt to make sense of it verbally.

Look at it as a U. The front is supported by the bottom of the "U" (which would be the crossmember)where it's connected together however there is little support between the top part of the "U" where the castor blocks are. With a hard suspension, the forces cause the top of this "U"(between the castor blocks) to widen or shrink while the bottom(crossmember) stays supported.
The problem is that the caster blocks do not take that much load and have the frame rails right there to support them. The is load going throught the blocks, but not that much. Much more is centered on the struts and crossmember. Most of the load in caster block during braking and would push the two bocks together. In any event there is not a U there really as the U more like an 0 with one end being the crossmember and the othe being the firewall and rest of the tub. So no much flexing is going to occur there. At the strut tops the flex just by putting the load in the springs by the weight of the car.

So again it may help at tiny bit, but even on a race car not enough to notice.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Joe, you'll notice that caster mount bar under braking. When you're hard on th brakes, and the car is trying to stop, you create a pretty large moment from the subframe (front control arm mount) to the tire's contact patch.

I pull over a G braking - my car weighs 3250... that's a lot of force pushing in on each caster mount. The unibody definately flexes some. And that flex will cause a reduction in toe-in. If you have about zero toe-in, it can even give you tow out.

I have a question about the factory turbo cup bar - is it solid or hollow? Can someone measure it up for me? (From the pictures it looks like it might be 1/2" x 3/4") I asume it's steel?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I keep looking for a good pic of a mounted Weltmeister bar with the tall mounts. I still don't know if it will prevent using camber plates or not. Why did they make the strut mounts so tall? I bought one used and am waiting until my butt gets into gear and finishes the other car to install it. It's built well but so different from the other types.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Cup bar is solid steel, 10mm x 30mm.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 AM
944CS
Drifting

now why didn't anyone get on Deutsch Nine for copying Brey Krause's control arm piece like they did with Lindsey and CEP
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by 944CS
now why didn't anyone get on Deutsch Nine for copying Brey Krause's control arm piece like they did with Lindsey and CEP
Because while it's a similar product, its almost a completely different design.

The whole LR/CEP issue was due to the fact that LR bought a CEP engine, then all of the sudden had extremely similar parts in their "new parts" portion of their site.

To me that is a pretty different situation.

-Darwin
Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I keep looking for a good pic of a mounted Weltmeister bar with the tall mounts. I still don't know if it will prevent using camber plates or not. Why did they make the strut mounts so tall? I bought one used and am waiting until my butt gets into gear and finishes the other car to install it. It's built well but so different from the other types.
I use camberplates (flat top paragon/ground control ones) with the welt strut bar. No real issues with them and I can still adjust the camber as needed with strut brace in place.

I don't have a good picture showing the plate however.

Quick Reply: whats the best 951 strut brace