Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

USAA is low ballin, trying to total, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:43 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And yes, what George D said. So few people with modded cars do this.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
You need to understand that these cars are very expensive to fix. All you 951 owners need to schedule your cars when you do mods. My car is insured for $50,000 for theft, fire, collission, etc.

When you put money into your car, it doesn't matter to the insurance company. They go by Blue, Black, or whatever book they want to use.

It's not very expensive to schedule the value with your carrier as long as you have a decent driving record.

Sorry, but the book value is what you will typically get if you don't pay the piper and get a value on the policy for actual replacement costs.

It costs me an extra $500 per year to schedule my cars for actual replacement. Most good insurers get this, and will insure at replacement cost as long as you show what was done. Bad driving records, forget about it.

George
What company did you use, George? Is this a policy dictated by the use of the car as a "collector" car or as a primary vehicle? Mileage limits?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:49 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here are a few suggestions on dealing with USAA from a 25 year member:
  • Do your homework and gather Real world price data
  • Check Every source you can: Rennlist, Excellence, Auto-trader, etc.
  • Present the facts to them in a clear and easy to understand manner
  • Then - negotiate...enlist your insurance agent as a business partner
Good luck

Last edited by FlatSix911; 06-12-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:27 AM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

The other driver was at fault, had a few imperfections in paint. 196k miles. small tear in driver seat, thats the extent of flaws. Book value for the car in my area is about 10k, not 6500! 10k would cover estimate, plus supplement, but USAA, wont even do that. They are by far one of the worst companies, ive dealt with. The car was appraised at 14 and some change. Once court is done and over with, theyll be paying much more than what they could of settled for, by just fixing it, cheap bastards!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 AM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...&z=85051&da=-1

As you can see, the offer of 6k, is well below even low retail. My appraiser, has done his homework to back up his appraisal for the judge.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Wait, your car has almost 200,000 miles and you want $10,000 plus for it? Sorry, I think you're fighting uphill. Unless it's got some serious mods I'd think that $6K is probably a fair price in this day and time. 10K non-S cars are pretty peachy and usually either have some very nice mods or very low miles. Hopefully I've mis-understood your post somehow.

I see your NADA link but also see a KBB for a 1988 that shows a range of $4K to $5.2K for a car with 200,000 miles. Average the two and you get about $6K.

I've been a USAA customer for years and can tell you they've always been super to me. Been the victom of a major car accident and they did a super job of appraising my old car and gave me a more than fair payout for the vehicle. If I remember correctly it was a couple thousand over BlueBook but then again that car was in superb shape.

Good luck though. I sincerely hope you get as much as you can because it only helps to inflate the price of my car.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am having the same problem w/ USAA. I had an incident about a year ago( they give you 3 to finish), They wanted to total the car at about the same. I sent PCA eval, ebay and autotrader adds, ect.. I( mostly my friend TS) slowly fixed the car and once complete I plan to go through an arbatration where both sides have an expert value the car. I hope to finish at end of year, too hot to paint right now) and I have a few mods to finish. You may want to look into this approach, although it means coming out of pocket for a while.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Also let me know what happens maybe we can team up on USAA
Old 06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

10k for a non S turbo with 196k miles on it? I hate to burst your bubble but......
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USAA is top notch. The very best in the insurance industry. Their clients are normally of a higher standard as well because you needed to be a military officer to initially join, family members then can join without being mil.

I think that what they are offering is very close to fair considering the mileage. I wouldn't touch a 951 with that mileage for more than 4k unless it had a brand new rebuilt engine of the modified type. Be realistic, sorry for your loss....
Old 06-12-2008, 10:54 AM
buxton
Racer

I don't know the laws of your state as each are different. We have no-fault here in MI which eliminates this problem as you always deal with your own carrier. But, before going to court and having that expense, check to see if there is a formal appraisal process available. Normally, you would hire your appraiser (which you already have done) and the USAA would hire theirs. If the 2 can't agree on a price they hire an independent 3rd party to negotiate a settlement. Get all your quotes for comparables as mentioned by others from several different sources for refference and submit them. You will need to do your homework. That being said, a car with 200K miles is not going to bring top dollar and like others have said - maintenance items only add a very small amount to the value.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to the Porsche Club of America. They offer written, signed estimates of a car's value. Several members have gone this route when an insurance company was attempting to lowball them.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you gotten your insurance agent involved yet? Even though it was not your fault, you pay insurance not only to get your car repaired in case of an at fault accident, etc, but also so your agent will go to bat for you in situations like this. Get them involved and tell them what is going on and let them start making some phone calls and putting pressure on. If you have a good agent, they will handle the entire situation for you.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wi54545
USAA is top notch. The very best in the insurance industry. Their clients are normally of a higher standard as well because you needed to be a military officer to initially join, family members then can join without being mil.

I think that what they are offering is very close to fair considering the mileage. I wouldn't touch a 951 with that mileage for more than 4k unless it had a brand new rebuilt engine of the modified type. Be realistic, sorry for your loss....
Not entirely true. USAA is open to ALL military members and their families. I've had USAA for over four years now and first signed up when I enlisted. I LOVE USAA. They are the absolute best insurance company I've ever had.

Sorry about your loss but you're better off pulling out as much of those mods you did as possible and selling them separately. A car pushing 200k miles isn't going to be worth 10k+.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

i've been with usaa for almost 40 years and have always had great service and far and away, the lowest pricing.

usaa folks are fair but aren't stupid.

95sl320 dd
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM
wi54545
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brrt50cal
Not entirely true. USAA is open to ALL military members and their families. I've had USAA for over four years now and first signed up when I enlisted. I LOVE USAA. They are the absolute best insurance company I've ever had.

Sorry about your loss but you're better off pulling out as much of those mods you did as possible and selling them separately. A car pushing 200k miles isn't going to be worth 10k+.
That is the way it used to be, I know that now encompasses all military, which is a great thing!

Quick Reply: USAA is low ballin, trying to total, any suggestions?