Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Reliable 951 Mechanic in FL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 AM
kiyoskia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable 951 Mechanic in FL?

Just as the title states, I'm looking for a reliable mechanic in central FL to take a look at my 1988 951 and help me to do whatever is necessary to make her perfect.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:56 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Little South from you but they are good Autohaus

GK
Old 06-03-2008, 01:58 PM
kiyoskia

Thanks, but I'm afraid of losing a tire. Every time I've tried to leave Tampa since I've bought this car, a tire has blown out on me...EVERY TIME!

...any closer shops that you know of?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:04 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't know any on the West coast of FL, drop a pm to bradman951, he's just up the road from you in Crystal River and might have more info.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Opeth
Pro

Lightbulb

I always go to Zotz in east Orlando.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
kiyoskia

Thanks. I'll check out Zotz next time I'm out there.

Luckily, I have Vortex Motorsport (formerly Dave White) located within a mile of my office, but they're way too overpriced...even for P-Car mechanics...
Old 06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiyoskia
Thanks, but I'm afraid of losing a tire. Every time I've tried to leave Tampa since I've bought this car, a tire has blown out on me...EVERY TIME!

...any closer shops that you know of?
lol are you serious?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
JimBob951
Racer

German Specialties
301 Marlborough Rd.
Tampa, FL 34677
(813) 818-0993

Leo runs a great shop and has a 951. My buddy goes there all the time, when he is not wrenching himself.

Jimbob
Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 PM
kiyoskia

Originally Posted by reno808
lol are you serious?
DEAD serious! It seems Tampa doesn't want me to leave because here's what's happened...

I went across the Gandy Bridge (http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...=12&iwloc=addr) from Tampa, and on the way back to Tampa, my rear right tire blew. No problem...that's why I have a spare!

Two days (of driving on my spare) later, the spare blows as I'm leaving my condo. Luckily I was less than 100 ft. from the exit and I was able to return safely to jack up and remove the spare.

I took my original blown (rear right) tire to get replaced, and all went well. The next day, as my friend and I are headed back across the water and away from Tampa, JUST as we are about to leave Tampa soil and begin driving over water, the rear left tire blows! We fishtail a little bit, almost plow into another car with the same problem (a blowout), and end up helping him with his situation, so he helped us with ours.

So now I have two fresh rear tires and still no spare...

My friend and I decided to take a drive. To where...we didn't know. But we drove until the road ended, and then we turned and did the same thing...over and over again. Eventually, we found ourselves in Bushnell, FL (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...e=UTF8&t=h&z=9), and as soon as my friend says, "You know what I just noticed? There are no sport-compact cars like yours around here!"...my front left tire blows out! I ended up spending a night in Bushnell because every one of the three tire shops in Bushnell wouldn't be able to get a tire until morning. The next day, I got two fresh tires up front, and I went back to Tampa.

When I arrived in Tampa, I had two "98% new" tires in the back and two "99% new" tires in the front. As I was pulling onto the street where my condo is, the front left tire blew (again), as if Tampa felt like saying, "I know where you've been!"

Old 06-03-2008, 05:20 PM
2bridges
Drifting

There is a shop that specialize in carbon fiber construction and rear seat mounted intercoolers somewhere out there..... I will see if I can find it for you
Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiyoskia
DEAD serious! It seems Tampa doesn't want me to leave because here's what's happened...

I went across the Gandy Bridge (http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...=12&iwloc=addr) from Tampa, and on the way back to Tampa, my rear right tire blew. No problem...that's why I have a spare!

Two days (of driving on my spare) later, the spare blows as I'm leaving my condo. Luckily I was less than 100 ft. from the exit and I was able to return safely to jack up and remove the spare.

I took my original blown (rear right) tire to get replaced, and all went well. The next day, as my friend and I are headed back across the water and away from Tampa, JUST as we are about to leave Tampa soil and begin driving over water, the rear left tire blows! We fishtail a little bit, almost plow into another car with the same problem (a blowout), and end up helping him with his situation, so he helped us with ours.

So now I have two fresh rear tires and still no spare...

My friend and I decided to take a drive. To where...we didn't know. But we drove until the road ended, and then we turned and did the same thing...over and over again. Eventually, we found ourselves in Bushnell, FL (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...e=UTF8&t=h&z=9), and as soon as my friend says, "You know what I just noticed? There are no sport-compact cars like yours around here!"...my front left tire blows out! I ended up spending a night in Bushnell because every one of the three tire shops in Bushnell wouldn't be able to get a tire until morning. The next day, I got two fresh tires up front, and I went back to Tampa.

When I arrived in Tampa, I had two "98% new" tires in the back and two "99% new" tires in the front. As I was pulling onto the street where my condo is, the front left tire blew (again), as if Tampa felt like saying, "I know where you've been!"

I feel kind of bad for laughing... But
Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
kiyoskia

2bridges, I know you're joking, but I'm really not in the mood.

I had 2 best friends in this life...Alex Espinola and James Dungy. James, as many of you know, left us on 12/22/05. Alex left us on 5/27/08.

I'm trying to keep a smile on my face, but it's like trying to rollerskate down a hill of gravel. All I'm saying is...now's not the time. Thank you.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Zotz.

...have someone follow you.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's just crazy blowing tires like that.

Lived in St. Pete as a kid ( late 60's early 70's ) Gandy bridge was old then, has it been reworked replaced ?

The original Skyway Bridge was a blast
Old 06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
JimBob951
Racer

Sorry for you troubles man! And sorry for your losses.... Yeah I know Bushnell, just off of 75 up in Sumpter Co. My parents have a place not to far from there. For service, check out Leo at German Specialties.

Jimbob

Quick Reply: Reliable 951 Mechanic in FL?