stumble under certain loads

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stumble under certain loads

OK ...I'm not too proud to ask for help

I have been chasing a weird problem for a couple of months now.

I am having a stumble/flutter problem at certain loads. Heres what it will do:

1st gear: it will just hesitate slightly at around 10psi but then will clean up quick and run out fine

2nd gear similiar to first but the stumble lasts longer

3rd gear starts to flutter at around 7 psi and it will if I am trying to run it hard continue up to about 12-15 psi then clear up

4th gear starts to happen at as low as 4 psi if I am cruising at min throttle position. If I am running through the gears it will hapen at about 7-10 psi but may continue up to 17 psi but will clear and run out

5th is somewhat unknown other than it will start at 3-4 psi under low throttle with load.

It will also have a slight miss every so often when cruising at low throttle- part throttle

when it cleans up it is like I just released a rev limiter and runs right to whatever boost I want.

I thought I had this cleared up before I blew the turbo on my last outing . It was running great at that time but only for about ten runs then the turbo went. I must have just got lucky

here is what I have done:

new plugs 7's at .025
known good coil and new wire
new cap and rotor
checked wires they ohm out to about 3.5 they are magnecore
new TPS
new knock sensor that seems to be working well
extra gound to engine ohms to 0 at all points
no vacuum leaks
checked AFM per clarks and moved wipers and rechecked 2x's now (last time I did this it seemed to go back to normal)
looked at the DME and KLR boards and nothing seems to be wrong

the A/F ratio is rock steady 12-13 when it does this.

to reiterate it acts like it has a 1/4-1/3 rev limiter when loading then once it clears it is like a switch is flipped and completely normal. Feels like nitrous on a POS engine.

it seems that when at the point of any real load on the engine it does it. That is why I am looking at the ignition so much.

I read that someopne had this issue with the AFM and it was testing well too. What coud the AFM do to make this happen ? short out ??

I am going to go to a differnt setup to replace the AFM but I would like to get this sorted first.

Also I have been behaving myself very well with the boost... I would like to stop now

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rubber in Magnecores is very soft, especially those boots.

If you are the kind of guy who removes them frequently, I would suggest you roll your own MSD 8 MM.

Just a suggestion.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Agreed and I am .

However, at this point I don't feel they are they are the cause considering once the stumble is overcome they have no misfires/problems at high boost and rpms. Even a stock wire should be fine at the lower boost.

You agree???
Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 AM
blown 944
Race Car

FYI I finally got it figured out.

turns out I had 1 bad injector and it was shorting out the driver at a certain load and then would clean up.

The good news is that in the process I now have a MAP setup installed. It is a AFMlink setup and so far I am liking it very well. I have the idle well sorted and all the cells seem to be very easy to get tuned in with E85. That along with my supplemental fuel nozzle and the A/F ratio is looking very nice. So far I am running at 22 psi with the small turbo.

After all this time I am so relieved. I have been living in the garage changing everything to figure this out.

Now to get the big turbo back on it

Oh wait I need to get the paint done first, have to keep reminding myself what I am doing here.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

What kind of fuel economy do you see with the E85 setup?
Old 06-02-2008, 03:49 AM
blown 944
Race Car

depends on how hard I drive it. If I am taking it easy I can get over 400 miles per tank. If I continually flogging it (like I have been lately to figure this out) I get around 280. I have been filling up at around 17 gallons.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice. I need to go back and search for how you converted your car. Is E85 cheaper?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:04 AM
blown 944
Race Car

I am now paying 2.89 and premium is 4.09.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you got it figured out Sid! Can't wait to see you're results in the near future

-Rogue

Quick Reply: stumble under certain loads