2.7l @ 16psi

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Yes.

Reno (AKA...."the crane") has complete video.
hey they dont call me the crane for no reason lol
Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Diver944
Pro

Very, very nice numbers for only 16psi of boost and more importantly to me a pretty decent spread of power and torque. Well done guys
Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a few I took last summer, let me know if I should not be posting these and I'll remove them.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Brings back good memories We should meet at the Julep again soon.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Let me preface this with the statement that I didn’t dyno it, I just built it!
There has been a hell of a lot more tuning than 20 hours, this engine has been running since last summer. I don’t know how many hours ST has spent on it since he got it last fall – but I would bet on quite a lot!
I don’t get the claim that a BB turbo makes more HP. Spool faster...OK, possibly, but there is no reason why a ball bearing turbo will make more HP.
Is that particular dyno optimistic?….I was there last fall for ST 600+ run and all the other 944s there for the dyno day were putting down very typical rear wheel numbers. So I would tend to belive that it is relatively accurate.
BTW – you will note that the whole package has been designed to run just about exactly where it is now (15psi boost & 4 to 6k rpm)– this is not a huge turbo dyno queen, it was designed and built to deliver great performance on the street and occasional track days. You can even see that he HP was rolling off at higher RPM – that means that the whole system was tuned for a wide performance band and to be highly efficient where it mattered. That’s why its so damn efficient at making power! In fact it won’t respond as well as others to cranking up the boost, its designed to run right where it is!
LOL, I sure hope you guys are picking up my sarcasm and it wasn't directed towards any of the rennlist vendors at all. Over the years there have been certain "tuners" that indirectly bash other vendors products in a subtle effort to promote their own. I believe you were on the short end of that stick on one occasion Chris. Anyway I find it hysterical, and truly hysterical, when what appears to be a simple solution produces 440RWHP on a 2.7L meanwhile we've had the BB turbo, MAP, and stand alone police (there are a few) who are "building a motor" (for several years now) and can't/haven't produce results even close to this.

Huh, a journal bearing, MID sleeved, MAF, Motronic based car made 440RWHP? It can't be! Even if the dyno is 10% optimistic it's still a nice result for a bolt on turbo and plug and play electronics.

I've got nothing against BB turbos and stand alone but this car's results shows that you can still have a lot of fun and make respectable power using the "old technology" journal bearing turbos and the motronic.

Great job on the motor build and tuning guys.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats. Very nice work
Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
LOL, I sure hope you guys are picking up my sarcasm and it wasn't directed towards any of the rennlist vendors at all. Over the years there have been certain "tuners" that indirectly bash other vendors products in a subtle effort to promote their own. I believe you were on the short end of that stick on one occasion Chris. Anyway I find it hysterical, and truly hysterical, when what appears to be a simple solution produces 440RWHP on a 2.7L meanwhile we've had the BB turbo, MAP, and stand alone police (there are a few) who are "building a motor" (for several years now) and can't/haven't produce results even close to this.

Huh, a journal bearing, MID sleeved, MAF, Motronic based car made 440RWHP? It can't be! Even if the dyno is 10% optimistic it's still a nice result for a bolt on turbo and plug and play electronics.

I've got nothing against BB turbos and stand alone but this car's results shows that you can still have a lot of fun and make respectable power using the "old technology" journal bearing turbos and the motronic.

Great job on the motor build and tuning guys.

I wish you could test drive it.
Its a 10 second Mustang.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nice job guys.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So, who did the head work?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Also, isn't that Vitesse wasted spark on that car?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ehall
So, who did the head work?
Local guy.
Originally Posted by ehall
Also, isn't that Vitesse wasted spark on that car?
Yes.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

In reality this is the “Rennlist” car. It happened because of Rennlist.
The Owner is an avid reader and started with John (Vitesse) and myself working on the project (John first I believe). John supplied the turbo, engine management and cam and I built the MID short block. The balance of the engine was assembled in Canada and installed. Months and months of problems followed so the Owner convinced me to take it over. Lots of issues and really weird problems with the way it had been installed and I eventually took the engine apart and built it right. I got it running well and turned it over to the Owner. More wiring issues surfaced and I hooked the Owner up with Rennlister Derek (also from Montreal) and worked on thing via phone and email.
Then to fine tune it I hooked up the Owner with Jim ‘Special Tool’ since he has lots of experience with Vitesse’s engine management system. ST fine tuned it and fixed some more of the aging wiring and fixed some of the other oddities (remember ST rant about spade connectors?).
Some of the suspension parts / Wheels / and other odds and ends came from Travis
In fact there are some parts that started out life on Tony G’s car -
So this is really a Rennlist project car!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:23 PM
special tool
Banned

Ok, so here is the scoop –
This one has been a long time in the making but now that it has some numbers and the customer is happy I will let out some details.
104mm bore MID sleeved block, 8:1 JE pistons (yes, they do work), stock crank.
The head work was done up in Canada and the work was excellent. I won’t go into details on other folks work but the porting was first rate. The ceramic was actually ported with the diamond bit. Very high quality workmanship.
Vitesse stage 3 turbo, engine management and cam.
Stock headers and cross over, SFR exhaust, Tial wastegate
Fidenza flywheel and a Spec clutch (I think!?).
It goes fast! The dyno chart was at 16psi. This is one of the better street engines I have driven. The only thing I would do differently if it were a track project is add the SFR stage 2 headers.
440 rwhp @ 16psi – this engine should last quite a while and give lots of enjoyment!

This I did not see, I am glad to see you posted.
I have told all involved that I agree.
Tim's headers WOULD increase the hp about 40 at the same boost.
The boost onset would be delayed 300 rpm.

We know these numbers as facts now.
John Joseph might tell you to keep the tri-y, Jon Milledge the Burns, Chris White the tri-y, Tony G the Burns, I might say the tri-y, and Dave maybe the Burns.
At this point, you need to think carefully, Alain.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In reality this is the “Rennlist” car. It happened because of Rennlist.
The Owner is an avid reader and started with John (Vitesse) and myself working on the project (John first I believe). John supplied the turbo, engine management and cam and I built the MID short block. The balance of the engine was assembled in Canada and installed. Months and months of problems followed so the Owner convinced me to take it over. Lots of issues and really weird problems with the way it had been installed and I eventually took the engine apart and built it right. I got it running well and turned it over to the Owner. More wiring issues surfaced and I hooked the Owner up with Rennlister Derek (also from Montreal) and worked on thing via phone and email.
Then to fine tune it I hooked up the Owner with Jim ‘Special Tool’ since he has lots of experience with Vitesse’s engine management system. ST fine tuned it and fixed some more of the aging wiring and fixed some of the other oddities (remember ST rant about spade connectors?).
Some of the suspension parts / Wheels / and other odds and ends came from Travis
In fact there are some parts that started out life on Tony G’s car -
So this is really a Rennlist project car!
So true! And that's the concise history of events hehe

Well done! :thumbsup!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

By the way, Jim, can I take another day off work so that we can pick the damn thing up?

Quick Reply: 2.7l @ 16psi