Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Ok, so here is the scoop –
This one has been a long time in the making but now that it has some numbers and the customer is happy I will let out some details.
104mm bore MID sleeved block, 8:1 JE pistons (yes, they do work), stock crank.
The head work was done up in Canada and the work was excellent. I won’t go into details on other folks work but the porting was first rate. The ceramic was actually ported with the diamond bit. Very high quality workmanship.
Vitesse stage 3 turbo, engine management and cam.
Stock headers and cross over, SFR exhaust, Tial wastegate
Fidenza flywheel and a Spec clutch (I think!?).
It goes fast! The dyno chart was at 16psi. This is one of the better street engines I have driven. The only thing I would do differently if it were a track project is add the SFR stage 2 headers.
440 rwhp @ 16psi – this engine should last quite a while and give lots of enjoyment!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

And the owner wants more power. He is sick
Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Ok, so here is the scoop –
This one has been a long time in the making but now that it has some numbers and the customer is happy I will let out some details.
104mm bore MID sleeved block, 8:1 JE pistons (yes, they do work), stock crank.
The head work was done up in Canada and the work was excellent. I won’t go into details on other folks work but the porting was first rate. The ceramic was actually ported with the diamond bit. Very high quality workmanship.
Vitesse stage 3 turbo, engine management and cam.
Stock headers and cross over, SFR exhaust, Tial wastegate
Fidenza flywheel and a Spec clutch (I think!?).
It goes fast! The dyno chart was at 16psi. This is one of the better street engines I have driven. The only thing I would do differently if it were a track project is add the SFR stage 2 headers.
440 rwhp @ 16psi – this engine should last quite a while and give lots of enjoyment!
yes its a spec clutch trust i me i know
Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
And the owner wants more power. He is sick
thats what i told him yesturday
Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,218 Likes on 597 Posts

outstanding job
Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I call BS. A 2.7L using the motronic software and a non-BB turbo? Come on boys there are a pile of "tuners" who emphasise making power that lead others to believe it can't be done without a BB turbo. Some of these guys haven't even got those numbers out of thier GT 35 3.0L's @ 16psi. What are you going to tell us next.......it passes emissions testing has less then 20 hours tune time.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:11 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
What are you going to tell us next.......it passes emissions testing has less then 20 hours tune time.
How did you know?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Tms951
Pro

Wow, with a VR stae 3 turbo, very impresive. This dyno seems to make some good numbers and I plan on going to it to do a few pulls after my car is tuned to make a comparison. It could also be this dyno really loves cars with VR 3 stage turbos on it. Basicly until I see an efficientcy table for this turbo (will never happen) or pulls on a different dyno I think this is a little optimistic, either way it seems like a well put together engine that should make some good power.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was the correction factor?

-Rogue
Old 05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I call BS. A 2.7L using the motronic software and a non-BB turbo? Come on boys there are a pile of "tuners" who emphasise making power that lead others to believe it can't be done without a BB turbo. Some of these guys haven't even got those numbers out of thier GT 35 3.0L's @ 16psi. What are you going to tell us next.......it passes emissions testing has less then 20 hours tune time.
Let me preface this with the statement that I didn’t dyno it, I just built it!
There has been a hell of a lot more tuning than 20 hours, this engine has been running since last summer. I don’t know how many hours ST has spent on it since he got it last fall – but I would bet on quite a lot!
I don’t get the claim that a BB turbo makes more HP. Spool faster...OK, possibly, but there is no reason why a ball bearing turbo will make more HP.
Is that particular dyno optimistic?….I was there last fall for ST 600+ run and all the other 944s there for the dyno day were putting down very typical rear wheel numbers. So I would tend to belive that it is relatively accurate.
BTW – you will note that the whole package has been designed to run just about exactly where it is now (15psi boost & 4 to 6k rpm)– this is not a huge turbo dyno queen, it was designed and built to deliver great performance on the street and occasional track days. You can even see that he HP was rolling off at higher RPM – that means that the whole system was tuned for a wide performance band and to be highly efficient where it mattered. That’s why its so damn efficient at making power! In fact it won’t respond as well as others to cranking up the boost, its designed to run right where it is!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Some of these guys haven't even got those numbers out of thier GT 35 3.0L's @ 16psi.
Please... didn't figure you for someone who actually believes there was a thing like a magic turbo that mysteriously added power...

That DO seem like a very nice engine but if the relation to trap speed is the same as the well known high hp engine dynoed on that dyno I'm not sure it will be faster than a stocker

To get high numbers at these lower boost levels it's all about VE increasing mods so could people here pleeease stop talking turbo's all the time.
I don't want to mis-credit this engine, it really seems great, but it pisses me off to read all the BS about what you need in order to achieve power.

I know a couple of GT35R 3.0l engines, and while the dyno numbers will vary a bit...let's just compare real life performance numbers and then we can see if these engines need to remove the DBB turbo's and re-install the good 'ol DME
Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Corleone
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duke
Please... didn't figure you for someone who actually believes there was a thing like a magic turbo that mysteriously added power...

That DO seem like a very nice engine but if the relation to trap speed is the same as the well known high hp engine dynoed on that dyno I'm not sure it will be faster than a stocker

To get high numbers at these lower boost levels it's all about VE increasing mods so could people here pleeease stop talking turbo's all the time.
I don't want to mis-credit this engine, it really seems great, but it pisses me off to read all the BS about what you need in order to achieve power.

I know a couple of GT35R 3.0l engines, and while the dyno numbers will vary a bit...let's just compare real life performance numbers and then we can see if these engines need to remove the DBB turbo's and re-install the good 'ol DME
Yes! Where are all the 100-200 km/h runs that was promised? That will show real performance!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Is that Allen's car from MTL?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any pictures of this car?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:14 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pk951
Is that Allen's car from MTL?
Yes.

Reno (AKA...."the crane") has complete video.

Quick Reply: 2.7l @ 16psi