Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Spectre Stand Alone

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know haltech is cheaper in the US than at home but as far as a know it doesn't come with a Map sensor and hall adapter they cost extra .And as far as being the best on the market i don't completely agree, but it could be .
it's really a case by case thing if you buy an efi one day and your ripping up the dyno only a a couple of days and a couple dollars later and then your engine works well for years you've got the best the best efi on the market .
Although the wolf doesn't stack up to the haltech well in terms of prestige and history the plug in wolf for around 1350 i think makes allot of sense.
some one realy needs to make a cheaper trigger wheel kit . or even an adapter to fit a nissan trigger on the cam front
Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

I'll tell you exactly what that is: It's a Megasquirt 1 with the Megasquirt n' Spark extra firmware and some hardware modifications to make it more user-friendly. It's an EXTREMELY capable and proven platform. I don't care what company is marketing it, thats a very nice piece. THAT SAID, a simple Megasquirt 1 is much cheaper and offers the same features. In my opinion, Microsquirt is probably the way to go for our cars if you want to go full standalone for MAF money (without too much work)!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Yea, it is when your limited on injector outputs and ignition drivers as setup in that arrangement.
Boo hoo It works excellent on thousands of cars, so (no surprise) youre wrong.

Or you have some secret standalone that gains 50HP over anything else and cooks you dinner at the same time.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:00 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

My biggest concern is being able to have switchable fuel maps to run e85.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brrt50cal
Thats been on MS for a long time.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 AM
nize
Banned

the user interface could be better, it's a bit kludgy and non-intuitive.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Boo hoo It works excellent on thousands of cars, so (no surprise) youre wrong.

Or you have some secret standalone that gains 50HP over anything else and cooks you dinner at the same time.
Your seriously going to try to talk to me on this topic? I have been down many roads on many cars and can tell you Haltech is just leaps forward in terms of design. You might be right about the "50HP" but your forgetting alot of things along the way. The resolution on haltech is better then Megasquirt its not MRDD on the injector drivers and that means I can get more mid-range power along with better fuel economy, better A/F control and more drive ability. I guess you can only learn from experience for yourself.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:12 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your seriously going to try to talk to me on this topic? I have been down many roads on many cars and can tell you Haltech is just leaps forward in terms of design. You might be right about the "50HP" but your forgetting alot of things along the way. The resolution on haltech is better then Megasquirt its not MRDD on the injector drivers and that means I can get more mid-range power along with better fuel economy, better A/F control and more drive ability. I guess you can only learn from experience for yourself.
Or you could you know... Research things instead of blowing hot air Go compare features between MS Extra 2 then try again.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by theedge
Or you could you know... Research things instead of blowing hot air Go compare features between MS Extra 2 then try again.
I don't say this often but your retarded.

1. Your trying to compare 16x16 resolution of MS2 Extra to 32x32 resolution of a E8.

2. Your trying to compare a Batch fire MS2 Extra to a Sequential E8
a. No cylinder Trimming on MS2
b. No improved fuel economy on MS2
c. Reduced off idle response on MS2
d. worse idle on Ms2
e. Not that I care but worse emissions on MS2
f. No staged injection on MS2
etc.. etc..

3. Barometric correction is no brain process on Haltech vs a addon feature on MS2

4.Tuning interface is just leaps and bounds better on Haltech

5. Data logging from haltech is better and its easier and I can store on the haltech itself (small amount) but thats better then none on a MS2

I hate to say it but I am not blowing hot air now if you want to talk about MS2 Sequential then you might have some traction but the fact remains that its not released yet. It also has Signal Encoding problems as talked about and map resolution information has not yet been released. Now, I didn't even go into the real details but thats some pretty major stuff right there and your evidence to argue against me is?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by brrt50cal
If your going to a standalone, you will want switchable timing maps as well. E85 will allow for a more agressive timing with fewer knock counts. This is a concern for me as well. I travel alot with my car and I don't want to be stuck somewhere north with the nearest E85 station hundreds of miles away. If it's an emergency I can change the fuel map on my Link. It will just take me 45 minutes to re-enter in all the standard fuel numbers from a spreadsheet....it's less than ideal, lol. A MS system will most likely be the next step for this coming winter.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't say this often but your retarded.

1. Your trying to compare 16x16 resolution of MS2 Extra to 32x32 resolution of a E8.

2. Your trying to compare a Batch fire MS2 Extra to a Sequential E8
a. No cylinder Trimming on MS2
b. No improved fuel economy on MS2
c. Reduced off idle response on MS2
d. worse idle on Ms2
e. Not that I care but worse emissions on MS2
f. No staged injection on MS2
etc.. etc..

3. Barometric correction is no brain process on Haltech vs a addon feature on MS2

4.Tuning interface is just leaps and bounds better on Haltech

5. Data logging from haltech is better and its easier and I can store on the haltech itself (small amount) but thats better then none on a MS2

I hate to say it but I am not blowing hot air now if you want to talk about MS2 Sequential then you might have some traction but the fact remains that its not released yet. It also has Signal Encoding problems as talked about and map resolution information has not yet been released. Now, I didn't even go into the real details but thats some pretty major stuff right there and your evidence to argue against me is?
MS2E can have larger maps should the user want (16x32 or 32x16), but usually not needed since you can set bins and it interpolates out of the box. Notice how you have to go to the higher end Haltechs to even get user settable bins, etc?

Cylinder trimming, full sequental, etc you have a point on, theres semi sequential and 4 cylinder COP but thats it for now. Probably in a couple months MS will have that...

B through F = :roflamo: MS2/MS2ExtraHas all of that, idle quality is perfect if the tuner spends some time on it, like any standalone. Same with cold start, just needs some tuning for that, like any standalone. Lots of correction tables, coolant based rev limit, etc etc.

Baro correction takes 10 minutes to add. Not a big deal.

Cant comment on Haltechs interface, but MS's works fine for most people, and theres multiple software packages so its a moot point. Could be better yes,but meh.

Not being able to datalog to memory isnt that big a deal for most people, and logging a few minutes of info is almost useless anyway. Theres an addon board for that coming so even less of an issue. I cant see Haltech datalogging to a 4GB memory card anytime soon..... Or a USB key as you can now, through an LCD dash display that can be purchased.

Checkout MSLogViewer, id call that a pretty good datalogging setup.... But thats me.

Signal encoding issues? As in crank triggers? Works fine with many things, 60-2/etc/etc is flawless.

So, like I said youre hot air as usual except on the sequentual injection/cylinder trimming front.... Nevermind that you have to buy the second best Haltech to get features youre bashing MS for not having... Or to get features that MS has had for ages.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:51 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eniac
If your going to a standalone, you will want switchable timing maps as well. E85 will allow for a more agressive timing with fewer knock counts. This is a concern for me as well. I travel alot with my car and I don't want to be stuck somewhere north with the nearest E85 station hundreds of miles away. If it's an emergency I can change the fuel map on my Link. It will just take me 45 minutes to re-enter in all the standard fuel numbers from a spreadsheet....it's less than ideal, lol. A MS system will most likely be the next step for this coming winter.
FYI, depending on your setup you can use the GM Flex Fuel Sensor that you connect into your fuel line. MS can use that to detect the percentage of ethanol in the fuel, negating the need for multiple maps.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Dear TheEdge,

You know I am right your points are moot the only advantage it has is cost over Haltech. We both know interpolates on the MS2 are because of the low resolution and its based on linear interpolation not 3 dimensional interpolation of the E8. Also, 16x16 was the new big thing for MS2extra as 12x12 was the old setup and now your telling me they just jumped to 32x16 or 16x32 ? I just want to see some proof of this brought to the table.

Also, when I say signal encoding I am only making reference to the unreleased MS-II Sequencer with its ±12µsec on the injector signal resolution.

-Your Pal
Fishey

Quick Reply: Spectre Stand Alone