Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can somone explain camber plates to me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:39 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

So is it possible to just have an alignment done where they set the camber to say -2 degrees, and have no toe on the car, as to preserve tire life? Or are the two in proportion to each other?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 PM
DAR951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
So is it possible to just have an alignment done where they set the camber to say -2 degrees, and have no toe on the car, as to preserve tire life? Or are the two in proportion to each other?
Sure. Camber and Toe can be set independently of each other within a fairly wide range. However, I think what you're asking is, isn't there one alignment I can use for both street and track? Where this started is an explanation of Camber plates. They are typically used to allow for a wider range of Camber adjustment (a bonus is that it's also easier to do the adjustment). Why would I want that is a different question and a much longer and involved answer/discussion about performance handling and car setup.

The point of my last post is to note that if you ADJUST one, then the other changes AND the amount of that change depends on yet a third variable, the amount of Caster you have.

From a practical standpoint, what one would probably like to be able to do with a street driven car is to easily change from track to street setup, adjusting only the camber via a readily accessible "tool" (the camber plate). Unfortunately, since adjusting Camber affects Toe, Toe also needs to be re-set to the desired angle, especially since it's excessive Toe (in or out) that has the greatest impact on tire wear.

Setting/Re-setting toe isn't really that big a deal (toe-plates are probably the least expensive alignment tool) but it is an "extra" step... that can lead down that steep slope towards a dedicated track car, trailer, tow vehicle...
Old 05-26-2008, 03:33 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by DAR951
Additional "added note": The amount Toe changes in relation to a Camber change, is dependent on the Caster angle. In English, if you run a lot of Caster, the amount Toe increases when Camber is increased is greater than if you run small Caster angles.
That is correct.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:49 PM
wolfenstein
Instructor

what you need regardless of plates or not is a "good" alignment. most shops just set your car in "spec" which is a range. you want your car set to specific adj. not the allowable range, a good shop will do this they will also charge for it, it's time consuming-no 89.99 alignments.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the responses this has been very informative!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:06 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

One more item.. On a stock TS suspension, you can only get about -2.5 camber. My track Hoosiers were wearing the outsides off, as the manufacturer recommends -3. I bought the camber plates, dialed to -3, problem solved. BUT..I also added those Mo30 968 Sways. All of a sudden I was wearing the INSIDES! Back to -2.5, all fixed. My lesson-stopping body roll will reduce your need for negative camber, and maybe even save you $400!!

Quick Reply: Can somone explain camber plates to me?