Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil Cooler Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:49 AM
JasonV
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Leak?

So, int the 86 Turbo, I've noticed that there is coolant in the oil filler tube and on the oil cap. It looks like oil is stuck to the inside of the coolant overflow, but, the oil on the dipstick is clean. I think this points to the classic oil cooler seal failure. Does that sound right?

If so, I should replace the seals, but, what about the Oil Pressure Relief Valve? Might as well while it's open right? Also, is there some sort of solution I can use while flushing the cooling system to help speed up the process? I'd like to reduce the number of flushes as much as possible. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like what mine was doing earlier this year. The Porsche approved chemical for flushing the radiator after this happens, is Shout detergent believe it or not. You have to drain, fill, run to temp at least 3 times, sometimes more. And it can get messy because you are supposed to drain it when it's hot, which means pulling the radiator hose or unscrewing the drain on the drivers side of the radiator on the bottom. HTH.

Also, as far as the OPRV goes, there is not realy a reason to repalce it unless you are having issues. At $200+ I wouldn't just want to throw one in.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:00 PM
JasonV
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. Is that Porsche-approved Shout mixture 1:1? Do I use one bottle per fill/flush?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Be sure to read the atricle by Tom McGuiness in the oil cooler seal replacement - it's more complete than the Clark's Garage version. And, get the updated oil cooler pipe. Do a search - I did a write-up on my procedure. I'm still running the old OPRV - just make sure you use the alignment tool when you install it.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Leak?