Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bent valves question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent valves question

The timing belt tensioner stud snapped on me and I am pretty certain I have bent valves because after I fixed the stud and retimed everything the car woudn't start and I had zip for compression. When I had the Cam housing off to retime the camshaft I noticed the top of the exhaust valves were noticeably higher than the intake valves. Would this indicate the intake valves are the bent ones or at least more bent than the exhaust valves. I am tearing the top off so I will eventually know when I get the head off but was wondering if this is any indication of which ones got bent.

John
Old 05-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

normally the ones that wont close all the way are the bent ones. The exhaust valves on my car were bent when I bought it, intake were fine. Exh valves are closer to the pistons and hit first. ALL are worth checking though.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does it mean that the top of the ones that were lower were not closed ( Bent)? If intake and exhaust valves were different lengths than I would expect the top to be lower which would not necessarily indicate they were bent and thus not closed. Are they the same length?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is normaly a variance in length between the intake and exhaust. If the cam tower is off, then all the valves will be closed. So any valve that is sticking out and looks like it could be open, is bent. You can always spray some water into the top side of the valves and see what leaks. It's not the best test, but it will give you an idea.

Quick Reply: Bent valves question