Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Track day, new to me 86 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 AM
rad_951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day, new to me 86 944 turbo

Hi. I am new to the list, but I have lurking and searching the archives for a couple days now. What I have learned so far is that the people on this list are very knowledgeable and helpful.

I have recently purchased a 86 944 turbo for track usage. The person I purchased the car from owned the car for one year. The previous owner had the car for 17 years. The previous owner maintained the car fairly well with regular oil changes and timing belt replacements. The timing belt has approximately 20k miles on it. However, the belt is 9 years old (changed in 1999). The belt looks pliable and at the proper tension. The water pump was replaced, but has approximately 75k miles on it at this point. All of the rollers look like they are in good condition. I plan to replace the timing belt, rollers, tension, water pump, thermostats, and all cooling hoses ASAP.

I have signed up for a track event on the 18th of May. I would like to take this car to the track on the 18th. My dilemma is should I attempt to track the car as is or should I replace the parts listed above first? My worry about replacing the timing belt before the track event is that I won't be able to get enough miles on the new belt to do the re-tension before the track day. Should I be worried about re-tensioning the belt before the track event? I am also worried that the 9 years on the belt and 75k miles on the pump is too much to risk on the track.

I plan to change all of the fluids, filters, and brake pads before the event.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tony
Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i wouldnt risk it w/ an old belt. I change mine about once a year. A new belt should be ok for the track though just get as many miles as possible before the track and then check it by hand before you leave. Never had a problem w/ that before.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Have you had the timing belt cover off to inspect the belt? How are you basing your thinking that the rollers are ok. I have always been told that rollers should spin freely with no noise. I do not know how you can do that test with the belts on.

The absolute worst thing that can happen is that the belt goes and you need a total rebuild. Second worse would be the pump fails and you end up with a short track weekend or when it fails it takes the belt with it and you end up with the best of both worlds.

If you have the car far enough apart that you can see the condition of the belts you aren't too far off from replacing them. Replacing them is probably good insurance.

This is coming from a guy who wants to DE his turbo and has completely disassembled it in order to ensure that it is in good condition. So consider the source.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rad_951
...I am also worried that the 9 years on the belt and 75k miles on the pump is too much to risk on the track...
Absolutely.

I'd go with the previous advice. NO tracking the old belt: If it's any indication of where my priorities lie, I replaced my last belt with 8,000 miles on it, because it was 3 years old, and 3 years is all that I feel is safe to wring out of a belt.

There are others who have 'pushed' belts... some "win" and some "lose". -I'm not a gambler at heart, and I look at it this way: -If you "lose" you lose EVERYTHING. -If you 'win', you don't win very much... the only thing you've "gained" is a postponement... -I think those odds suck môöse còck.

Get the belt changed right away, then put as many miles on as you comfortably can, then have it re-tensioned. -Go to fetch milk in the next county. Drive across the state to visit an old friend, and take him out for a spin. -Then take it in and get the car teched and re-tensioned just before the track day.

If you decide to push the belt and you 'lose'... make sure that you have Lart's number handy... -He'll PayPal you enough money for the trip home in return for what's left of the car.

Keith
Old 05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

High rpm running on the track really stresses belts, rollers, and the waterpump. Not the time you want to find out if they are still good.

If you're planning on spending the money to have them replaced anyway, I see no reason not to do it before the track event.

I wouldn't worry about tracking the car right after a belt change. Dedicated race cars do this without any issues.

Quick Reply: Track day, new to me 86 944 turbo