Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Autometer boost gauge issue - Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer boost gauge issue - Help

So while uhh.... doing some testing, I seemed to have knocked my boost gauge needle off when it hit the pin. Hopefully the gauge comes apart so I can stick it back on.

My question is, where does the needle sit when not in use? There is a box by the 0. I think mine used to sit at the top of that box but I want to make sure.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

It sits in the middle of the 0 box, I would say buy a new one as it probably won't be accurate after this.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 PM
eniac
Drifting

I found an old pic that looks like it did sit at the top before however I also did a google image search and some I saw had it at the bottom of the box.

Then this one is kinda in the middle. I am thinking now each one is different based on how they are calibrated from the factory. I am going to try to put mine as close I can tell to how it was originally. I can check the calibration by comparing it to my AVC-R. I just don't want to have to take it apart again if it's off.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UHH don't you hate it when that happens. Thats what you get for using too small of a boost gauge

another thing to note is that they are calibrated to atmosphere, the needle could be anywhere in the box depending on your elevation On mine it is on the low side.

Actually that is the one I am using now. Thanks to Troppo
Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by blown 944
UHH don't you hate it when that happens. Thats what you get for using too small of a boost gauge
Funny thing is when I bought it I passed over the 20-25 psi gauges thinking 30 psi would be more then I'd ever need. I think....based on some basic testing today that it might be possible to run 45psi with E-85....reliably....I think. lol

I took my gauge apart and stuck the needle back on. These gauges are not designed to be taken apart by any means. It's all back together and appears close enough to what it read before at a set level on my EBC.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by blown 944
another thing to note is that they are calibrated to atmosphere, the needle could be anywhere in the box depending on your elevation On mine it is on the low side.

Actually that is the one I am using now. Thanks to Troppo

Ahh I didn't even think of that. So since it's a mechanical gauge, they are probably all the same at the same sea level but since some of these pics I found were most likely taken at a different sea level, the gauge will sit at a different spot in the box....
Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has always sat at the top of the box. I haven't noticed any difference at higher altitudes, although I haven't actually looked for that.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eniac
some of these pics I found were most likely taken at a different sea level
Altitude*
Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ya know, Auto Meter's quality has really taken a **** over the last few years. The first ten years of me being into cars I wouldn't even consider anything else but it seems that I've replaced more broken ones in the last five (three actually) years then I installed in the first ten.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Ya know, Auto Meter's quality has really taken a **** over the last few years. The first ten years of me being into cars I wouldn't even consider anything else but it seems that I've replaced more broken ones in the last five (three actually) years then I installed in the first ten.
Well I don't think this 30psi gauge was designed to exceed 45psi but I completely agree. When I was a teenager and into american muscle, Autometer was the only thing I would even consider buying, nothing else. With new multifunction custom gauges coming out from other companies and full datalogging displays that can replace all my gauges in one unti, it is doubtfull that I will ever buy another autometer product again. Unless your the type to live your life "1/4 mile at a time", an Autometer gauge won't hold up to current required standards we'd expect.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Judson951
Drifting

I have another one just like that if you want to buy it.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the exact same gauge. I spiked well over 30pis when my wastegate line blew off. Fortunately my gauge needle stayed intact. And I still had barely any knock - got to love E85

-Rogue
Old 04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigdeano
Altitude*

Rofl, I see what I typed made no sense, thanks for the correction. I knew better but my mind was on other things at the time.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Ditto what Jeremy said regarding these gauges. I have two broken boost gauges, one being the same gauge that eniac posted. I also have three narrowband air/fuel "lightshows" that decided to die, and screw up my a/f ratio in the process. Admittedly, I only purchased one, back when they were cool...the others came with the cars.

When I called AutoMeter a few years ago regarding the a/f gauges, they were complete ********. I just called again a few weeks ago regarding the boost gauges, and they were pretty cool, stating that there would be very little or no charge to repair them.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Got Me a Porsha
I just called again a few weeks ago regarding the boost gauges, and they were pretty cool, stating that there would be very little or no charge to repair them.
Because it's you. Had it been me they would have charged me double. See if you can get my water temp gauge back into calibration.

Quick Reply: Autometer boost gauge issue - Help