Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you think the best CAR WAX is and why????....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the P-21S products. If I had extra cash, I am sure I would try the Swissvax products as they seem to be really highly reguarded for their quality.

Has anyone tried P-21S's new 100% Carnuba Wax?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 PM
MrPorsche951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TURTLE WAX!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Maybe someone can come put some of their favorite wax on my car and make it nice looking for me???

-Dana
Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by vwvortex123
i would like a great shine and good swirl removal
i may buy swissvax but it is just so damn expensive
any other good products out there?
There is no such thing as a wax that remove swirls.
To remove swirls you will need a polish and a decent machine...ie rotary or Cyclo etc.
BUT first you need to wash and clay the paint.
Once the surface is decontaminated by claying the paint, You begin to polish with the appropriate pad. You work slowly and go to a less aggressive pad and product like a sealant. After waiting 24 hours, for the sealant to settle, THEN you can wax. ANY high quality Carnauba Wax will work fine. Apply it by hand...and I mean with your bare hand. Then buff it off with a very high quality microfiber cloth.
For more info and an opportunity to ask any tech question you might have, go to www.optimumforums.org.
We'll be happy to get you set up. I should be in Orlando in July. I can give you a hands on detail and walk through when I'm there if you would like. PM me.
E

Last edited by ehall; 05-05-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MrPorsche951
TURTLE WAX!
SUX!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mikeroz
OK, so the question I have then is what if any benefit is there from using a Porsche specific wax on a 18 + year old car that very probably has been refinished during it´s life-time?
Mike
None. Just use good quality products and techniques.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:34 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by future
Yes and try doing this with any other product on the market other than Swissvax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDyerYVIgM

Swissvax is not only the best UV protection, longest lasting wax (12 weeks), The only product developed specicifally for Porsche, Roll Royce oem and Merc Approved.

You simply can't say that it is expensive when it answers all of the above questions if you buy the 356 or Zuffenhausen wax. Obviously the Mystrey and Divine Swissvax products are exceptionally expensive but at the end of the day you truely do get what you pay for - Try compairing a 997 C2 against a 997 GT3, my case in point mate
Okay then, I'll say it's WWWAAAYYYY TOO EXPENSIVE! and it isn't actually any better than any number of domestically sold products for far less money. Sorry. The Dollar just doesn't go far in Euros.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by future
Hi Mark

The video shows how Swissvax beads water. Basically water will just run of the car and it is dry in seconds leaving no water stains/residue and this will late for about 12 weeks so all you need to do when your car gets dirty is rinse it off and job done (back to show room) - ANY OTHER WAXES THAT CAN DO THIS and restore original paint colour at the same time???? Case in point

You can literally drive down the freeway when it’s raining and not use the wipers Swissvax is that good regarding water beading and run off.

Keith... As for Zymol that's the rip-off of Swissvax or as Swissvax is know in Switzerland, Swizol (recognize the similarity in name!)

There products are in no way comparable with Swissvax other than an attempt to use their brand.

Swissvax is 100% handmade in Switzerland and not price dependent upon the product you buy and made this way since 1930.

My advice for you US guys is to get in contact with detailersdomain.com and they will tell you all or failing that do a Google search and see what all the named brand pro-detailers use and I think you will find it's only one name – SWISSVAX.

I have been testing waxes for over 10 years and yes I agree there are a lot of very good product but stay well clear of any synthetic stuff which takes a later away from your paint – They call themselves ‘Paint Renovation’ products only to leave your car dull after a few weeks latter to mopping.

To this effect do you all understand what Carnauba wax is, where it comes from and what makes it special and lastly the different types there are?

Well to put this into perspective Carnauba Wax ONLY comes naturally from Brazil from the Carnauba Palm (Copernicia Prunifera) which is know native as the ‘Queen of Waxes’. A lot of other companies now buy this from Green House Farms in China – I will mention no names!

All of the above is why myself and Beni negotiated business terms with Swissvax as the worldwide recognized authorized dealers of there Porsche Specific product. It wasn’t about profit … It was about delivering YOU, the Porsche owner the very best on the market which is solely what we are about and as part of our commitment we will sell all ‘Master Kits’ worldwide with FREE shipping and if you are not happy then we will refund you in full. This comes with full instructions of use and many tips and tricks which only the pro-detailers will keep to themselves.

Please do not see this as me trying to sell you there products, it’s simply our commitment and hard work – You can buy these in the US from various vendors so please try Swissvax before you comment or make reference to these other inferior products.

And as Keith states ... Yes this is heavily discussed in the 'car care forums' on this site
Water doesn't bead because of the wax. It beads due to a very flat, decontaminated paint surface. Once that exists, any good quality carnauba wax will do the exact same thing. Sealants, under the wax provide the UV protection, by and large.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LFA951
Someone told me that NU Finish in the orange bottle is really good, they advertise "the once a year car polish."
PLEASE GOD! STOP WATCHING TV! It's CRAP!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

Hi all

I don't like to be impolite and disagree vehemently but what ehall is stating here is complete bulls***:

Water doesn't bead because of the wax.

Below you may see a picture of two small samples of 600 wet sanding grid.
I guess we all agree on 600 sanding grid being a rough surface, right? In any case much rougher than a cars paintwork...
The right sample I have quickly treated with Swissvax Saphir, the left hand sample did not receive any treatment...I then put two water drops of exactly the same quantity on both of them using a graduated pipette. As you can see the waxed sample heavily beads while the other one doesn't...so please state again that wax does not cause the water to bead...

The wax preatreatment itself also contributes to the beading effect but the wax is much more important.

There is no such thing as a wax that remove swirls.
To remove swirls you will need a polish and a decent machine...ie rotary or Cyclo etc.

The Swissvax Cleaner Fluid is a wax pretreatment which removes light swirls without any polishing (which means chafing away the sensible paintwork), so there is no need neither for a polishing compund nor a machine for removing swirls.
We do not recommend using a polishing machine as no professional very good detailer does. The circular movement of the rotating head does not provide the same quality results as some good old longitudinal hand-work (do not pretreat the paintwork doing circular movements!).

Okay then, I'll say it's WWWAAAYYYY TOO EXPENSIVE! and it isn't actually any better than any number of domestically sold products for far less money. Sorry. The Dollar just doesn't go far in Euros.

I have read several tests in both german and international magazines where they tested 25+ different car care products under laboratory conditions and also on oldtimers, youngtimers and supercars. In all of them Swissvax made the first place by a mile shot. Should anybody be interested I can upload some extracts here...

In addition to this I happen to know a member of the board at Lamborghini...they have evaluated a large number of premium and luxury car care products and in the end chose Swissvax as their OEM supplier.

And so did Rolls Royce, Mercedes Benz and Spyker...

So which domestic car care product can compete with Swissvax regarding the quality of the finish, the protection of the paintwork, the longevity of the application and the fact that one wax can lasts for over two years?

ehall, did you ever use swissvax? Did you compare it 1:1 to the products you refer to? It's kind of hard for me to believe and puts the statement in your signature into perspective...

Anyway, I did not want to sound rude but just wanted to correct a few statements...

Cheers

Beni
Old 05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The only bull**** is being spread by you, the VENDOR! There isn't a professional alive that doesn't use a combination of rotary and dual action machinery. Moreover, the beading you show is as a result of the petroleum distillates that are a key component in the wax.
That 600 grit surface, on a car will look like absolute ****.
further, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A WAX THAT REMOVES SWIRLS!
Without doing the work of legitimate paint correction, all a wax can do is temporarily fill in swirls, (which are micro scratching marks) until the wax wears off. Then you have your swirls back.
A "WAX" that covers up swirls is called a glaze.

This isn't a question about whether or not swissvax is a good product. It is, BUT for the same money, in the U.S. there are atleast ten other products that are equally good for significantly less money.
I've professionally detailed five cars this week, at 275.00 each.
How many cars have you actually professionally detailed?

To the first point. Water beading, with even the very best wax product, is directly affected by the flatness and smoothness of the actual surface. A carnauba wax simply provides a carnauba barrier layer, combined with petroleum distillates. This barrier aids in preventing environmental contamination on the actual paint surface.

AND, while you make claims that swissvax will last for 2 years, you also don't live in the heat and sun of the southern United States. Two years in this environment is a complete joke. Never gonna happen. If your lucky, it will protect for 16 weeks, and that is pushing it.
Your protectant product, used under the wax, may well hold up for about a year. After that, the UVA and UVB rays will begin to actively penetrate to the paint layer.

So no, I haven't used swissvax. I've used ATLEAST ten other professional products from Optimum's products, to Menzerna,P21S,Zymol...and the list goes on and on.

Beni, have you ever done a professional detail...and been PAID to do so? I made 550.00 bucks on Saturday!
Yep, my signature puts your responses here, into perspective.
What's worse is that you are a vendor selling the product, so your bias is obvious, and for the prices you are charging for swissvax products, my comments are 100% valid.

"I don't like to be impolite and disagree vehemently but what ehall is stating here is complete bulls***:"

Well you were completely impolite, and you also don't know what the hell you are talking about.
If you were a professional detailer, you wouldn't have made ridiculously ignorant statements like
"We do not recommend using a polishing machine as no professional very good detailer does. The circular movement of the rotating head does not provide the same quality results as some good old longitudinal hand-work (do not pretreat the paintwork doing circular movements!)."

There is a VAST difference in the process of paint correction, polishing, and waxing/buffing.
ALL detailers, as well as body shops, use rotarys, as well ascyclo/pc type machines for paint correction. ALL of THEM.
Wax is applied by hand, and buffed by hand.
I'm done here.

BTW I could'nt begin to care less what a "manufacturer recommends". Those are paid sponsorships.
Maybe if I owned a Lambo, I'd be willing to pay eighty bucks, U.S., for your product.
NOT!

AND BTW, what I said was this! "Water doesn't bead because of the wax. It beads due to a very flat, decontaminated paint surface. Once that exists, any good quality carnauba wax will do the exact same thing. Sealants, under the wax provide the UV protection, by and large."
Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by 951rs
I have read several tests in both german and international magazines where they tested 25+ different car care products under laboratory conditions and also on oldtimers, youngtimers and supercars. In all of them Swissvax made the first place by a mile shot. Should anybody be interested I can upload some extracts here...
Beni
Hi Beni,

I'd be very interested in the reports you speak of... I checked the one mentioned above as testing 46 products (the one where P21S and Zaino came out on top) and it did not include Swissvax.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 PM
future
Banned

Beni and Ehall – Calm Down the both of you

However having said that it makes for interesting reading!

Ehall – I’m not going to side with either of you on this regarding both of your comments and as I have stated previously there ARE as you point out some other excellent products on the market and you are right that the dollar against the Euro and UK Pound stinks for you US guys at the moment and this has a detrimental effect on our business so I to hope things even out soon for all of us

I’m pleased to see that you are making money from detailing cars and I’m sure that your customers really appreciate the hard work that this entails so keep it up mate and YES you have detailed more cars than us this week but we are not pro detailers, simply glorified resellers.

So now can I chirp in and answer some of these questions and points raised:

Swissvax is an exclusive product and it is not simply sold on brand and years of being in the industry.

We are not simply vendors of Swissvax – We chose to negotiate a contract with the company purely on our years of experience of using many of the alternative products on the market and finding out ourselves that Swissvax performed the best and more importantly lasted the longest in all weather conditions. Neither of us are professional detailers and I’m sure that you are probably better than the two of us put together but having said that this is not a point for us to argue about… What WE wanted to point out is that by following our methods which are defined by the factory that you too can achieve these very same results without having to pay the $275.00 that you charge for doing the job and also that these kits will last for a good eight applications if done by the owner – So is Swissvax REALLY that expensive? A full kit will have paid for its self halfway through your second job with 6.5 more DIY detailing sessions to go! I personally can't afford to pay an expert to do my car so I have to resort to doing it myself

Swissvax is not a company that just makes waxes and other car care products! It is more of a detailing laboratory that since 1930 has tried and tested every conceivable product and ingredient on the market with the end result being that it develops and makes ONLY THE VERY BEST and subsequently uses only the very best ingreadence for each product being hand made by laboratory 'white coat' experts!

The owner of the company is also a VERY BIG PORSCHE FAN and PORSCHE COLLECTOR and it was his passion for the industry and PORSCHE CARS that made him decide to develop the ONLY range of products designed specifically for our cars – The names 356 and Zuffenhausen are not simply 'marketing spin' they ACTUALLY ARE designed specifically for our cars OEM paint BUT that doesn’t mean that they will only work on only Porsche cars … You can use a 356 or Zuffenhausen on any car with great results!

Ehall mate … I’m sorry if you found Beni’s comments distasteful and impolite but I think that his comments were more directed to your signature which states: "Don't believe everything you read on Rennlist. For every 15 opinions one of them actually has some experience." I’m not going to comment on other companies products but what I can tell you is that we set our company up to develop and deliver exceptional quality to the owner of Porsche cars especially with our love and great respect of the transaxle based models. We run our company out of passion and this is what Rennlist delivers best – Our cars are now very old and technically challenged by today’s standards but in their own right exceptional with bags of potential to challenge even the very best that Porsche today has to offer if maintained and developed correctly.

But back to your signature … I personally found it funny and to this effect I’m going to send you a FREE tub of Swissvax Zuffenhausen for you to try and then hopefully you can report back to all of use mate with a true unbiased and detailed finding – YES including free shipping so drop me a PM with your address and it’s in the post mate on me

I also acknowledge that you have shown interest in several of our products that we are developing so thank you very much for that mate.

So please this is the first time that I’ve seen some ranting and raving on this forum – Yes it makes for interesting reading and YES all points are valid but please remember we are all here for one thing and that’s to learn more and love our cars more.

At the end of the day YOU THE READER make your own choice in terms of what you like etc. We have all seen pictures of seriously badly modified 951’s and are all guilty of taking the **** out of these but please remember that we are NOT ALL fortunate enough to own the latest Carrera GT or 997 – We simply make the most of what we have and YES that includes both myself and Beni … I guess we’ll just have to work a little harder

Best regards,
Mark … Now back to the Ranting and Raving
Old 05-05-2008, 09:26 PM
future
Banned

To get back on topic ... Here are some more pictures of SWISSVAX application firstly what non of you guys have seen before is what Beni's car looked like when he purchased it:

And this is Beni's car shortly after purchase and having undergone a full DIY Swissvax paint renovation and Wax which Beni did himself:

Today we also received these pictures from a UK 951 owner who requires our advice. As you will see his car is seriously UV and weather damaged and shortly we hope to bring you the pictures of how his car looks after a SWISSVAX paint correction (without using a buffer):

I'll keep you all posted
Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark,
I appreciate the offer, and will respond to your pm in a bit.
My points were few, but important. Regardless of the wax, the processes done during prep, to prepare a surface for a properly buffed wax application, are still more important than the wax itself. Any high quality Carnauba will give the same results on an identically prepared surface.
The second point, which certainly is not your fault, is that one KG of Swissvax Zuffenhausen costs over 132.00 U.S. dollars. PS21, 100% PURE Carnauba, in the same quantity, can be bought here for 49.95. So, the product, for the money, is a tough sell to a guy like myself.
LET me state CLEARLY, I have NO DOUBT that the Swissvax line of products is of the HIGHEST QUALITY AND COMPOSITION. I knew that LONG before this thread came about. My issue was with the stated application. I can make Turtle Wax look like solid gold, with the proper pre-preparation of the surface, and it is made of crap. Hell I can do the same with NuFinish, and that crap is bad, beyond humor.
A general reader could stumble upon this thread and think that the car in your last pic can be automatically saved by waxing it. We can both agree that is not the case.
That is the reason why I made my original points. I'll be in Orlando, in July, and I plan to meet up with VWvortex, to show him exactly what he can do and accomplish.
I'll be happy to do one side of the car with Swissvax, by your instructions, and the other with my own products, using my methods, then we can take pics. There will be no difference, if I do both sides with my methods. They will both look like glass..
If there is a difference, we will both say so.
He gets a free exterior detail. I'll do the Swissvax side however you instruct me too.
If he doesn't want to get a free detail on his car, I'll put together the guys from the Orlando area GTG, and I'll do opposite sides of my car.
AS for being upset with Beni, I'm not. There's no reason two people can't argue about one subject, while still liking and respecting one another. (I know. It doesn't seem possible these days, but it is.)
I have no problems with either of you, nor with your business. I wish you great fortune in it, and look forward to being one of your good customers. So, no hard feelings.
I consider your offer to be INCREDIBLY generous, and unnecessary.
So, if you send it, I think that it's only fair that I give it an unbiased hearing... and you have my word that I will do exactly that.

For the record, to those just browsing, Swissvax is a good product. It's well known and respected. Our arguement was simply about cost analysis and detail application methods and techniques. Nothing else.

Cheers Mark!

Last edited by ehall; 05-06-2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: speeeeeling and some commas.

Quick Reply: What do you think the best CAR WAX is and why????....