Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you think the best CAR WAX is and why????....

Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An what were the results mate

From my experience Swissvax is a fantastic product but HELL it take alot of elbow greese to buff it off
Old 04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by future
My advice for you US guys is to get in contact with detailersdomain.com and they will tell you all or failing that do a Google search and see what all the named brand pro-detailers use and I think you will find it's only one name – SWISSVAX.
+1 on www.detailersdomain.com

Phil, the owner, is a great guy to do business with and offers a rennlist discount. He constantly runs various sales and promo's that he post in the concours section.

Also keep in mind that wax only does so much. Paint correction via polishing and buffing makes a world of difference in the final result. Putting the best wax over oxidized paint with water marks and swirls will offer a limited benefit. A full detailing will really make the paint stand out.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:38 PM
future
Banned

Very well said Phil

A badly UV damaged cars paint work will require 'Paint Correction' in the form of buffing with G3 etc but if done correctly followed by a quality wax and the results are simply stunning

Yellow and Red are the worst effected colours for UV damage but are easly corrected and this is something everybody can do themselves with a little research
Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

how can you tell if you need paint correction and what does it entail?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 PM
philcav7
Racer

I bought a Porter Cable DA buffer with various foam pads for the task.

I used the Menzerna ultimate kit which contains four compounds/polishes to fix the paint.

Pretty much all 951's that are not garaged all the time will have some degree of UV, acid rain, and other damage. The compounds will remove a thin layer of paint and strip off oxidation and contaminants and reduce the etching from water spots and swirl marks. Then you use finer and finer polishes to remove the haze caused by compounding. You will be left with a paint that is refreshed, if done correctly. It is a relatively simple process, but can destroy your paint by removing too much or burning the paint.

Go spend a couple hours in the concours forum and look at some of the before and after pictures of details. This will give you a good idea what can be accomplished by a PROFESSIONAL and may be worth the expense. You will also learn alot about attempting it on your own. Like anything else, you wont become an expert by reading a "how to" online, but will better understand the process and what not to do. There are several videos and such online on how to use the Porter Cable too.

Call detailers domain and he will help you out.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 PM
future
Banned

Basically most new cars that leave show room needs paint correction and this includes Porsche.

Most new cars are sprayed via a robotic arm which means that the ultimate finish leaves an 'orange peel' effect and this is what a product like G3 and a mop will sort out for cheap – This is known as compounding – Do a search on Youtube.com and you will see many brand new exotic cars being detailed and paint corrected.

Regarding our older cars and how do you tell if paint correction is needed … well please read on!

Paint correction involves and covers many aspects … the first are using clay or a ‘clay bar’ as it is known. This will remove any contaminates from your car from flies to day-to-day road debris’s Then there is UV damage and as Phil has pointed out acid rain etc.

The Clay Bar will remove most of this without the need for a cutting compound like most people tend to use. Cutting compounds do as they say on the tin – They Cut a thin layer of paint from your car and you do not need to do this unless the paint is really faded.

If your paintwork is dull then I suggest a ‘clay, wash and wax’ before using a compound with a mop.

Mopping a brand new factory car is well advised if it shows signs of ‘orange peel’ as most do but for older cars simply wash, clay and wax.

The results you get from a quality wax such as Swissvax are incredible so if you have never tries it then please do so and I guarantee that there is NO other product available quite like Swissvax for this. The owner of swissvax is also a very devoted Porsche enthusiast and you will see more about this from myself and Beni very soon as we have something special lined up for this summer. We will keep you all informed!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

okay what swissvax do you suggest and also the other products i will need?
i am going to order the porter cable but want to order a full complete kit all at once.
thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

http://www.properautocare.com/reshkit.html
i like this kit but it says only on 3 years or newer cars and the two cars i will be using this on are my porsche and a 2000 audi s4
Old 04-27-2008, 11:25 PM
future
Banned

Hi mate

I strongly suggest that you start with the Swissvax 'Entry Collection Kit with Zuffenhausen Wax': http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/merch...tions-and-kits

If you can not get this in the US then I will ship to you for the stated price with FREE shipping same day by air. Drop me a PM if interested.

Once you have used the above then you will be wanting this: http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/merch...tions-and-kits

Trust me you will never look back after using Swissvax
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
EdC
Pro

There is a line of German Menzerna that is for newer paint that has a "harder" clearcoat than our paint. Look for the other Menzerna for older cars. Ask them and they will direct you.
Read this:
http://www.properautocare.com/crsishin3st.html
Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Just out of left field, has anyone tried this stuff? I know it's a hard sell but it does look interesting no??
http://www.5starshine.com/spo.html?g...FRwbagodxTUZIA
Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Check out gurureports.com

they did an extensive test on all major waxes and put them in price catagories. They also seperated them by wax base and non wax base. Zaino and PS21 came out on top over all. Period.
www.gurureports.com is returning 403 Errors - Access Forbidden??
Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I like carnubas and all, but my car does spend some time in the sun. After about 6 weeks I find the carnuba has evaporated. And yes, I have used some very high carnuba content waxes. It looks fantastic and can't beat the initial shine, but don't last long for me. Zaino lasts much longer and is almost as glossy. YMMV, Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I have always been told to pick a product, learn at how to use, and become very good at using that product. Once you have mastered that product, then you can move on to more "elite" products.

Such as, master meguiars, before you go and spend the money on zaino, p21, swissvax or any other elite brands that you probably can't use effectively.

There aren't that many 944 guys on here, and in general that I know that actualy detail their cars to a higher level, so I do love these types of threads. It's great to see other 944'ers making their cars look the best they can. Except for the select few that have simply stunning cars, meguairs or any other wax in that range will work great for most of the guys that have a nice daily driver or a nice weather car that is fairly clean.

But I will say that no amount of polished parts, powdercoating, wheels...or anything else will help you more then doing a nice detail job on your car.

I have seen zaino used on many high end cars, and was very impressed with it. I feel you can't go wrong with any of these types of waxes. You certainly need to work your way up to them, but once you feel ready...pick certain waxes, and learn to use them correctly and you will have a nice looking car, no matter what. Just because swissvax is one of the best, doesn't mean anybody can use it and get the best results. That's where some people will become unhappy. Without being properly educated on the things, they will think if they buy the best wax, they will have a better looking car...and they will be dissappointed if it is used improperly.

It may have been mentioned, but what comes in line after the first swissvax kit that last the first 10 applications. What do we need to move on to from that kit?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

How does the Swissvax compare to something like this? http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-1012-100.html

What I'm looking for is durable protection for a daily driver -- not a show car where I need to paint to look absoloutly dripping wet. (Althought that would be a nice bonus!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you think the best CAR WAX is and why????....