Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Adjusting Koni yellows

I recently did the strut conversion on my sealed sturts and I dropped in Koni Sport adjustable inserts.

How should I go about adjusting the firmness on them?

I know physically how to do it, but how do I know once I have reached the firmest setting?
Does the adjustment **** stop turning?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. it'll stop. NEVER force them. I did that once because the tab was jammed on a brand new set... it broke off the tab and they were non-adjustables from then on. Luckily Koni replaced em for free..
Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The **** on the koni yellows mainly adjusts rebound. How I adjusted mine was...

Give it throttle in the apex of an average radius turn. If the front lifts and the car pushes adjust both firmer. If the front does not lift and the rear tires spin, adjust both softer. There will be a happy point where you will be comfortable with the power understeer versus power oversteer.

Once adjusted on a course with tighter turns the car will understeer, with bigger turns it will oversteer. You can fine tune the adjustment for each course or track to get the best lap times for number of small versus large turns.

I personally like the rears adjusted to full soft so the rear will lift under heavy braking. For me this makes it easier to start the car rotating on turn-in. This does two things. First it kicks the car into a slight four wheel drift way sooner pointing the car into the apex and exit sooner so I can get on the throttle sooner and more aggressively before the actual apex. Secondly the early rotation scrubs some speed on turn-in so I can brake later, and less to carry more speed into the corner.

But I must say, adjusting dampeners is adjusting how quickly the suspension responds to driver input and weight transfers. It is so much a part of each drivers style that it is very difficult for one persons setup to work well for another. So...your mileage may vary.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Koni yellows