Can a nice motor be done for 5k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ski
80000 mile motor in classifieds, if you could get it down a few hundred dollars or as stated, check with Lart - might be just what you're looking for. Would you do the install?
I know I saw that. I'm also thinking of telling lart to keep a eye out for a fully modded motor. I'm not going to hurry this along. I do want to get a deal and buying someone elses already done project alot of times is the best way instead of building it myself piece by piece

Originally Posted by billthe3
I've got a set of all the top engine pieces powdercoated crinkle black that I've been trying to get rid of for a while if you want them.
thanks for the offer but, I want them all to be chrome. I did see a polished cam tower in there for 450 I think but, it has a cam which I won't be needing. I did see full polished SFR hard pipes with blow off valve for like 300 something. I'm already saying "yeah go ahead". lol. I could easily just get outta controll and start buying stuff and then run outta money. Ideally i'd like to buy a complete motor or have one done for close to budget as possible. Then add on anything I might want/need.
Originally Posted by DDP
Building a motor yourself will nickel and dime you to death. Best to look at already built motors. I spent a load on building my own motor. When I decided to part my car I only got 3k for it and had tons more money/time into it.
Yeah no kidding the nickel and dime me stuff is what im trying to avoid. I feel that if I try and order alot myself I could very well end up just like everyone else who trys to start something like this. way over budget and way off on my time frames.

Who is Dave at CEP???? I have gotten several recomendations to contact him. Does he build motors?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:13 PM
JE_951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF you want polished stuff then get a bench grinder with a polishing wheel and do it yourself. It wont cost as much and polishing is easy.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

regarding your block...LR has new Mahle pistons and you have an excellent machine shop in San Antonio TX with Duffin Engine Service.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

PM sent.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:24 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Who is Dave at CEP????
www.customengineeredperformance.com

Dave needs to update that website but he's too busy chatting on the phone with Special Tool. Someday...
Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

look if you want some help...i just blew my block and i'm doing the same thing...building my own...i think i have a few good ideas...i've got quite a bit of advice on how to do dry sleeves the right way...that's 500 bucks...then you can buy those wiesco pistons for 427...assume the rest is ok...but i'm in fort worth...if you wanted to work on each others cars and get the engine pulling and swaping done...i'm down...let me know.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

if you still have my number then give me a call. I work at a performance shop here in Austin and the other tech I work with was a Porsche master tech. he builds some awesome engines so let me know if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Can a nice motor be done for 5k?