Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can a nice motor be done for 5k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:21 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can a nice motor be done for 5k?

Okay im back. Long story short im not putting the v8 in this car. I do have plans for that motor. I want to put it in a dump car that can be turned at the track.

Sooooo..... that leaves me with a un running 951 that has been sitting forever. Lets see what we can do about that.

Because the other project is going to be costing me greatly I do not have alot of funds left for this street car. However I really love this car and just flat out refuse to part with it at this point. So I am asking the 951 car gods to shine apon with with valuable resources and knowledge I do not current have nor have the time to research.

I would like to have a running in june/july at the latest. I have a budget of 5k including parts/labor/everything. I do have my old motor with rebuilt turbo lindsey head/lindsey maf/chips/ ect ect.

So. How in the world can I do this? Buy someones old motor thats been built and swap it in? Sell my old one... Build what I have?? I need some serious guidence here as I don't part with money easily but, im tired of seeing that lovely car sitting in the driveway.

Here are my goals.
i'd like it to look nice(chrome intake many/hard pipes/decent blowoff valve/remote air/oil seperator/decent turbo/head/ combo with some new chips.

I'd like to run 16psi on pump gas mostly but, have the option to run 20psi with good fuel for the occasional track day(im going to get out to MSR if it kills me).

So please come one come all. This will be my mega thread on this project. If you have parts to sell or you think you can offer some great guidence or help please post.

I know budgets are like ******** everyone has one but, if I could get out at around 5k with selling my old stuff(if that is the route we decide to go) for the entire project that would be great.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats wrong with your old engine? If the bores are ok a rebuild wont be to bad
Old 04-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

head refresh - $500 basic
Pistons - $900-$1200 with rings
machine work $350-$600
bearings/gaskets/seals/belts/rollers - $950
Water pump - $240-$400
Clutch - $700?
turbo/MAF/software/piggyback...and all of the above depends on how you go.

or buy a running engine with inspection/compression test and upgrade it out of the car - there is one in the classifieds. Powder coating may be cheaper that polished parts, rebuilt turbo, used MAF/chip combo.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Raven951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
machine work $350-$600
Water pump - $240-$400
Clutch - $700?

or buy a running engine with inspection/compression test and upgrade it out of the car - there is one in the classifieds. Powder coating may be cheaper that polished parts, rebuilt turbo, used MAF/chip combo.
ski, you make it sound easy. You wanna build one of my motors? ....no, seriously.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

pm sent.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Get a used engine until you can build the engine you want. No point in pissing away money. Call lart, see what he's got. He's usually reasonable Dont waste your time with headwork at this point, or crazy mods. Put your turbo on it, get a few "pretty" engine parts (polished or powder coated intake, hard pipes) get it tuned with a maf, and call it a day FOR NOW. As you well know, there is always the opportunity to do more LATER. If you want to go standalone so you have a path to upgrade I think there is a new Tec Lite option (TecGT I believe it's called), cheaper than the old 3/R option. Pretty sure Chris White has those now.

-M
Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Problem I see is the install...and a few items add up quick. New clutch, turbochargers arent cheap...I dont know your mods and what would carryover but I would have to say the best bet is to find a good motor and reseal it, throw new rod bearings in, bolt all the goodies you already have on it - add new clutch, new sensors, motor mounts, turbo/maf/wg/pb/injectors, etc and try to sell off what you can. Making it pretty takes time - best to have it all up front to polish/take to the coater, etc...and the old "while you are in there" really adds up. When we swapped motors I replaced just about anything I could that would be apart/out and didnt add up receipts

Seems like a lofty goal @ 5k to me personally but it could be doable depending on what you already have and could sell. Good luck-
Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cory9584
whats wrong with your old engine? If the bores are ok a rebuild wont be to bad
burnt valve, needs rebore.

Originally Posted by Ski
machine work $350-$600
Water pump - $240-$400
Clutch - $700?

hmm.. you sound like you know how to get it done. Perhaps we could catch up soon and you could refer me to some good parts suppliers.

Originally Posted by fastmover
pm sent.
thankyou

Originally Posted by MPD47
Get a used engine until you can build the engine you want. No point in pissing away money. Call lart, see what he's got. He's usually reasonable Dont waste your time with headwork at this point, or crazy mods. Put your turbo on it, get a few "pretty" engine parts (polished or powder coated intake, hard pipes) get it tuned with a maf, and call it a day FOR NOW. As you well know, there is always the opportunity to do more LATER. If you want to go standalone so you have a path to upgrade I think there is a new Tec Lite option (TecGT I believe it's called), cheaper than the old 3/R option. Pretty sure Chris White has those now.

-M
you know I was already thinking about calling lart and asking him what he has. Also because he could prolly buy all my old stuff(what I wont be reusing) and he may be able to work some deals I couldn't get on my own.

Paiging lart!@! come in please sir.

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Problem I see is the install...and a few items add up quick. New clutch, turbochargers arent cheap...I dont know your mods and what would carryover but I would have to say the best bet is to find a good motor and reseal it, throw new rod bearings in, bolt all the goodies you already have on it - add new clutch, new sensors, motor mounts, turbo/maf/wg/pb/injectors, etc and try to sell off what you can. Making it pretty takes time - best to have it all up front to polish/take to the coater, etc...and the old "while you are in there" really adds up. When we swapped motors I replaced just about anything I could that would be apart/out and didnt add up receipts

Seems like a lofty goal @ 5k to me personally but it could be doable depending on what you already have and could sell. Good luck-
well like I said bugets sometimes go hay wire. I'd like to keep it around 5k and i'd like to have it by july. I guess we will see what happens.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:32 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

fast mover pm relied!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:42 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, also, gonna be passing through your area on AKA this year. May even bring the 951. July 15 ish IIRC.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:26 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MPD47
Oh yeah, also, gonna be passing through your area on AKA this year. May even bring the 951. July 15 ish IIRC.
it would be really good to get together.

perhaps that could be my goal. Have the car running by july 15th

lord help me im looking through the classifieds. Lots of good parts and even complete motors with work for very resonable seeming prices

Last edited by porshhhh951; 04-13-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:10 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Building a motor yourself will nickel and dime you to death. Best to look at already built motors. I spent a load on building my own motor. When I decided to part my car I only got 3k for it and had tons more money/time into it.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:29 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh also unfinished modded motors are top value I'm trying to sell my 2.5 with turbo worked head (freash)extrude honed inlet on old oringed bottom end and i can't get 4k AU for think I'll just cain it til it breaks
Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

80000 mile motor in classifieds, if you could get it down a few hundred dollars or as stated, check with Lart - might be just what you're looking for. Would you do the install?
Old 04-13-2008, 03:20 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a set of all the top engine pieces powdercoated crinkle black that I've been trying to get rid of for a while if you want them.

Quick Reply: Can a nice motor be done for 5k?