Let's help a lister

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
hahah in 4 years I hadn't caught this
Lol, back after 4 years to resurrect your dead thread. FTW.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can top that...This kind of thing happens in the military all the time, ya just have to laugh - theres no other way to deal with it. Just thinking back to the old days and remembering some dumb things. For instance with Hurricane Andrew was coming into the New Orleans, we were all in a tizzy to get our airplanes flown inland. One young reservist was driving a tow tractor with the long towbar that we use, and got a little close to the hanger door. He hooked the bottom of the door and pulled the 40 foot high door off of the rollers. It fell onto the nose of a semi-new F-18.

In Zaragoza Spain, we had a Spanish pilot that had a right engine fire on take off. Somehow he managed to hit the halon button for the left engine. And btw he managed to land the bird. Speaking of birds, that same squadron had a bird strike a month or so later. Its amazing how a small animal injested into an engine at 400 knots will do things. This bird though was one of those huge buzzard monsters that are protected in Spain and has about a 4 foot wingspan. He landed ok too (the airplane,not the buzzard). When we finally got the engine out, the engine was 11 inches shorter than the standard GE404.
Trivia...Did you know they have bars in the hangers at both Zaragoza and Torrejon? Oh, and its OK to smoke in their hangers too. That is what I call "old school." ...Bruce
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F18Rep
I can top that...This kind of thing happens in the military all the time, ya just have to laugh - theres no other way to deal with it. Just thinking back to the old days and remembering some dumb things. For instance with Hurricane Andrew was coming into the New Orleans, we were all in a tizzy to get our airplanes flown inland. One young reservist was driving a tow tractor with the long towbar that we use, and got a little close to the hanger door. He hooked the bottom of the door and pulled the 40 foot high door off of the rollers. It fell onto the nose of a semi-new F-18.

In Zaragoza Spain, we had a Spanish pilot that had a right engine fire on take off. Somehow he managed to hit the halon button for the left engine. And btw he managed to land the bird. Speaking of birds, that same squadron had a bird strike a month or so later. Its amazing how a small animal injested into an engine at 400 knots will do things. This bird though was one of those huge buzzard monsters that are protected in Spain and has about a 4 foot wingspan. He landed ok too (the airplane,not the buzzard). When we finally got the engine out, the engine was 11 inches shorter than the standard GE404.
Trivia...Did you know they have bars in the hangers at both Zaragoza and Torrejon? Oh, and its OK to smoke in their hangers too. That is what I call "old school." ...Bruce
Nice stories.

Quick Reply: Let's help a lister