Alarm/Airbag Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
VanhireBoys
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Alarm/Airbag Problem

Hi Guys
I have a small problem with my '87 951. The alarm keeps activating for starters and wont reset. I put in the jumper wires as per Clarks Garage but the car still refused to start.....

I noticed from the wiring diagram that there should be 12v with ignition on on the black/red wire at the alarm. This appears to be the DME feed. Im not getting 12v. I took a wire from the battery to the black/red and she fired up straight away.

For some strange reason the black/red seems to be fed from the airbag control unit..... Is this a correct assumption ... ? Or Am I missing somthing along the line....?

All troubleshooting was halted when my fiancee came back and gave me some domestic chores

Any help would be really appreciated guys thanks...

This is her last sunday at a classic show in Letterkenny Co.Donegal ...!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:52 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, the DME power circuit flows thru the airbag computer. This is in case of a crash, the airbag computer stops the engine.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:10 AM
VanhireBoys
Instructor

Thanks for that... I presume that the Black/White wire which is on the 7 pin plug to the Airbag module is fed from the ignition...? If this is so I'll join the Black/Red to the Black/White as I suspect my root cause is the Airbag Control unit itself. I am still under domestic house arrest at the minute.... The women just dont understand ......! I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.....!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is the pin out, I think this is correct all MY with air bags but double check your wiring schematic

1- brown, ground
2- red/black, central electric KL50
3- black/white, central electric N48
4- black /red, supply for DME relay
5- white, buzzer relay, seat belt
6- unused
7- yellow/black, airbag warning lamp

when I got rig of my airbags, I cut wire 5 and 7 (they can be reconnected) to avoid lights.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 AM
VanhireBoys
Instructor

Thanks a lot Tom951 and Ski... Its all part of the fun of having a US Spec 951 in Ireland.... ! I am going to get her sorted out one way or another on Monday... Hopefully I'll take a few snaps of progress....!

Cheers Guys
Donal (VanhireBoys)
Old 03-28-2008, 05:31 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Check out the how-to section of www.944s2.com It shows how to disable/bypass the airbag circuit.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:55 AM
VanhireBoys
Instructor

Got it sorted Tom ...! There appears to be a break in the black/red from pin 4 of the airbag module to pin 2 of the alarm module. I done a continuity test which came up as open circuit. I then connected a wire from pin 3 black/white of the airbag module to pin 4 green of the alarm module. She barked into life straight away.....!
While I was in there I done a flash test of the airbag module itself and it came up as "27 Ignition Pill Circuit 1 Break" and fault 30 and 31 which is Airbag warning light disconnected and shorted...! I was talking to the guy who used to work at the car and he said at a stage 14 years ago he disconnected th eairbag light as he didnt know how to diagnose it or reset it....

Would you guys know what the Fault 27 is about or should I just "let sleeping dogs lie"...?

Thanks very much for your assistance lads very much appreciated ........!

Quick Reply: Alarm/Airbag Problem