Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Machine shop instructions for race prepping a crank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneqco
How were the accusumps setup on the cars that spun # 2?
It was set up with the electronic dump valve and a hand valve. I'm not sure what the pressure was set for but I assume it was part of the Accusump kit.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evil 944t
It was set up with the electronic dump valve and a hand valve. I'm not sure what the pressure was set for but I assume it was part of the Accusump kit.
Were they all setup the same way? From what I understand, the EPC Valve is the better way to go for track use but you would have to select the correct pressure range valve and accumulator size for the application.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Yes, all the same. Sorry, I can't help you out with set info. I never used one.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:06 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I would cut the the counterweights a little send it to a serious crank shop and have that done and a good balance. Drill another oil in the rod journals at the outermost part of the throw so that the oil will come out of journal due to the forces exerted on it. I used to have have pictures on here but they've been long since deleted.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:23 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geneqco
Thanks A.Wayne. Would you suggest setting it up with the E.P.C. valve kit for a discharge of 55-60 PSI?
Yes, i would consult accusump , 55-60 psi sounds about right ......
Old 03-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Yes, i would consult accusump , 55-60 psi sounds about right ......
That means that anytime the oil pressure drops below that threshold the accusump will dump 3 quarts of oil in to the system – basically you crank will be going under the oil level as it spins. That can seriously aerate the oil – not good for the oiling system.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:54 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
That means that anytime the oil pressure drops below that threshold the accusump will dump 3 quarts of oil in to the system – basically you crank will be going under the oil level as it spins. That can seriously aerate the oil – not good for the oiling system.
Chris what do you mean by " your crank going under the oil level " are you saying it is better to have the Oil surge ?

Last edited by A.Wayne; 03-15-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I am staying out of this. Too mnay posts making my headache.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris what do you mean by " your crank going under the oil level " are you saying it is better to have the Oil surge ?
He means the crank will go splash splash through the oil in a "3 year old in the bath tub without his ridalin" kind of way.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
I am staying out of this. Too mnay posts making my headache.
LOL , every good race shop have a box of Bufferin for the suffering

Originally Posted by ehall
He means the crank will go splash splash through the oil in a "3 year old in the bath tub without his ridalin" kind of way.
Sounds like you bath tub need's a scraper and a baffle with a trap door
If you are describing cavitation , then i guess you are assuming all 3 qts will be discharged into the engine , this is not the case , oil is discharged until pressures are equalized , usually discharged amount is small as it is momentary, if you have the ecu activate the electronic valve it really covers all the bases for what it does .. not a replacement for dry sump as specified before , but it does help where surging is an issue....and dry sumping is not a choice..

Last edited by A.Wayne; 03-15-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Geneqco
Pro

If you are describing cavitation , then i guess you are assuming all 3 qts will be discharged into the engine , this is not the case , oil is discharged until pressures are equalized , usually discharged amount is small as it is momentary, if you have the ecu activate the electronic valve it really covers all the bases for what it does .. not a replacement for dry sump as specified before , but it does help where surging is an issue....
Thanks, that's what i thought, it would have to reach a point of equilibrium well before the potential problems suggested. Also, if used in conjunction with other measures, the function of the system as a whole should be further enhanced.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:32 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you are describing cavitation , then i guess you are assuming all 3 qts will be discharged into the engine , this is not the case , oil is discharged until pressures are equalized , usually discharged amount is small as it is momentary, if you have the ecu activate the electronic valve it really covers all the bases for what it does .. not a replacement for dry sump as specified before , but it does help where surging is an issue....and dry sumping is not a choice..
HEY! Don't shoot the intrepreter!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I was just pointing out a ‘worst case’ scenario – it is possible to dump all 3 quarts in to the engine and submerging the crank (not completely but a fair mount of the crank will below the sump oil level.
Once you aerate (foam) the oil it is difficult to get all the air out of the oil…and air is a pretty crappy lubricant!
In my mind the only thing an accusump will help with is the uncovering the pick up scenario – and if that happens then you have other issues that you should address. An accucsump will not help with aerated oil, pump cavatation or the crappy crank oiling passages.
On the plus side - It does make a nice preoiler!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmph...I liked my translation better,

"He means the crank will go splash splash through the oil in a "3 year old in the bath tub without his ridalin" kind of way."

...but if you have to be SOOO technical!

BTW, If you get some time to send that spread sheet, I'd like to start getting my ducks in a row, or I could call you and we could discuss things. Just let me know the best time. I'm out the door for now.
E

Quick Reply: Machine shop instructions for race prepping a crank?