Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch hydraulics- what to check?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch hydraulics- what to check?

Ok...so I've been having trouble getting my 951 into reverse...i let the clutch out to get the drivetrain to move a bit and it'll fall in place...so this makes me think the clutch isn't engaging and therefore i have a slave or master leak.

I hate to sound lazy but I haven't had a chance to go out and actually inspect the them yet i wanted to do some research before I went out and tackled it blindly. I've done plenty of searching and know that if I replace one...i might as well do both...i have a motive bleeder so that won't be a problem, so here goes my stupid questions.

where is the slave located and does someone have a picture...i only ask because i spent 8 hours trying to bleed my sister-in-laws honda prelude last couple of night, come to find out i was filling the wrong resevoir and just bled out the system...so i really want to know what i'm looking for in case it's not easy to find. also...where should i check the master...it looked fine and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary...actually looked new. so they both might be new and just in need of a flush...oh and yes i forgot to check if the fluid level was alright...i know but i was in a hurry to get out of the garage at 1am.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:45 AM
gjoey66
Instructor

anyone...a little help...I just want to make sure i've diagnosed this correctly...

as a hydraulic issue
Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Usually if the slave or master cylinders fail, the clutch pedal will go all the way to the floor and stay there. It doesn't "slowly" begin to fail, it's more of a "WHAM!" it won't come back up. I doubt that is your problem, but if you want to check for leaks, then crawl under the dash on the drivers side and look at the top of the clutch pedal. The arm for the master cylinder will connect to the clutch pedal towards the top. When I replaced my friends master cylinder, it was actually leaking inside the car.

As for the slave cylinder. If you are underneath the car, find the starter. If you look above the starter you will see the slave cylinder. All you have to do is disconnect and remove the starter and the slave cylinder is right there. I replaced both on my car and the only difficult one was the master due to the limited space.

Based on what you described, I don't think your problem is in the hydraulic system. I don't really know what it could be, but maybe a sign of a failing pressure plate? Is it the stock clutch? How many miles? Does it only do this when trying to go into reverse?

-Darwin
Old 03-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Darwantae951

Something I always do is put the car into first before I attempt to put it in reverse. For some reason it seems to help line things up and it never fails to go into reverse smoothly.

-Darwin
Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
gjoey66
Instructor

it has a sachs cup clutch that was replaced about 3 years ago...I'll try the first gear then reverse thing...cause i seem to remember that working for me once...old VW trick. I'm planning on playing with it tonight.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Darwantae951

Ok, but I highly doubt your hydraulic components are the case if the only symptom is reverse. My clutch master cylinder was bad and it just slammed to the floor. Old VWs are where I started!

-Darwin

Quick Reply: Clutch hydraulics- what to check?