Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LIGHT WEIGHT BATTERY FOR 951'S

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^what do you know about Odessey batts lolol. How well do they hold up for you? I know you drive the heck out of the car and give the TRUE test.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the Odyssey PC680MJ as well in my NA. Fab'd a hold down bracket out of some metal strapping, and it uses the factory hold down so I didn't drill a single hole.

More pics HERE

Old 03-04-2008, 04:32 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
I run the Odyssey PC680MJ as well in my NA. Fab'd a hold down bracket out of some metal strapping, and it uses the factory hold down so I didn't drill a single hole.
Are you worried about the battery sliding forward and grounding the positive terminal on the strap? Have you done anything to hold it front/back?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:33 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

that battery holder would not pass inspection here. (swanks)
Old 03-04-2008, 05:17 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

It has passed tech a dozen times in the last year, across 4 different clubs (PCA, Audi, Alfa, Cascade SCC). It doesn't look tight in the picture, but the battery would not move without a very massive force being applied to it. You cannot slide it by hand, I have checked, and so has every tech inspector.

Keep in mind this car is track only, no street.

Edit: I'll let you know the final verdict soon... the car will be going through SCCA tech this week to get a log book. The guy already said he would verify anything else I had questions about (fuel sampling port, etc.) so I'll be sure to ask.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
2bridges
Drifting

not frownin

- but that without a doubt would not be allowed here, not for a second, not for scca solo, not for DE, nothing.

I also would not be comfortable as that could shift and contact + battery.

apprecaite experience info about battery!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by troppo

if you don't want to use a battery tender then this will do better (but weighs 26#):
http://www.batteryweb.com/odyssey-detail-PC925-auto.htm

[/url]
I use this battery in my car, and it can sit for about 2 weeks in the winter before it won't start. If I know I won't be driving it for awhile, I hook up the battery maintainer. Summer time I never notice a drain, but I drive it every few days. No problems turning over in sub freezing temps.

edit: I should add that I do not know if this battery will work with the stock tie down points. I had a rusted battery tray that I reconstructed, then bolted in another battery base that is raised off the main tray about a 1/2" via stilts, so there is no obstruction to water draining. The battery then is secured to that 2nd plate.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by troppo
if you don't want to use a battery tender then this will do better (but weighs 26#):
http://www.batteryweb.com/odyssey-detail-PC925-auto.htm
If you don't want to spend $185 for the Odessey, this one is also an AGM type, similar dimensions, 25#, w/ better CCA and AH specs...$108 shipped to your door. You might want to check the height against a Group 41 to be sure. Even if it's too tall, lay it on it's side. A battery battery minder is a must for any AGM battery where the car sits for more than 2 weeks at a time.

http://www.westcobattery.com/miata.html
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
If you don't want to spend $185 for the Odessey, this one is also an AGM type, similar dimensions, 25#, w/ better CCA and AH specs...$108 shipped to your door. You might want to check the height against a Group 41 to be sure. Even if it's too tall, lay it on it's side. A battery battery minder is a must for any AGM battery where the car sits for more than 2 weeks at a time.

http://www.westcobattery.com/miata.html
IIRC, I only paid about 119 from a local battery's plus store.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
IIRC, I only paid about 119 from a local battery's plus store.
That's a pretty good price for that Odyssey. I was going from a current web price plus shipping. I used to get that Westco Miata battery for $80/shipped about 5 years ago and now it's $28 more.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I made a mount basically the exact same way Eric did. It passed a few tech's, but had its skeptics that really scrutinized it. I was told (nicely) in November that they would not allow it next year. I planned to get the Rennline mount anyhow.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I found this battery on ebay last year FAR cheaper than any source I could find it online. Looks like under $120 on ebay currently.

And a second FWIW, I understand where many of you guys are coming from on my ghetto battery mount. It is totally ghetto no question, and at some point I will remount it. Depending on the scrut who checks my car, it may be sooner than later. I just couldn't stomach the cost of the rennline mount at the time. THIS ONE is a candidate for less than half the money of the rennline.... but it doesn't address longitudinal sliding either so...
Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't recommend Odysey other than for a race car, where weight is critical. I am on my second Odysey the first lasted barely a year, and the second one is already getting weak.

They work great but don't have much capacity, its very unnerving if the car doesn't fire on the first attempt.

I fabricated a bracket that uses the factory battery brackets, and lays the battery down flat. Its very tight which is how you want it. Its easy to switch between the Odysey and a regular battery. I use the regular during the off season and then switch the Odysey in for the race season.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I used the Oddesey for about 3 years. Barely weighed 15 lbs. It's ok as long as you don't have to use all your accesories all at once while driving. For instance, Hot summer, AC full blast, stereo on full blast on stop and go traffic. When you shut down your radiator fan stays on longer due to the heat from high temps and AC. By the time it shuts down it tends to kill this battery.

Secondly with this type a load on the alternator is the weight loss a big advantage over the load put on the alternator which robs more power from the engine to charge the battery and supply enough power to the accesories?

I didn't want to buy this again and went to Kragens. I bought their battery for $60.00 and weigh 25 lbs. Not bad.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

+1 for the Odyssey PC680! I run it in two of my cars...

Yasin

Quick Reply: LIGHT WEIGHT BATTERY FOR 951'S