Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sponge air filter or K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
...and dirt bikes but even then they need to be oiled.

It may flow great, but how would you know how well it filters until your engine wears out prematurely?
Hot rod magazine - among others did various testing on foam type filters years ago and findings were great flow (near no filter) with extremely poor filtering abilities.

I don't have the time to locate the articles, but I am sure if a person spends a little time researching they will find testing data
Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kevincnc
...and dirt bikes but even then they need to be oiled.

It may flow great, but how would you know how well it filters until your engine wears out prematurely?
I will tell you how. You put a dab of grease on the inside of your maf pipe and drive the car. Then you look at that dab of grease and see how much crap it has built up on it. Now, who wants to be the test subject?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:54 AM
76 911s
Racer

Originally Posted by odb812
I will tell you how. You put a dab of grease on the inside of your maf pipe and drive the car. Then you look at that dab of grease and see how much crap it has built up on it. Now, who wants to be the test subject?
As with any filter, it depends on the brand.... Foam isn't necessarily bad, but it depends on the brand. For example, I ride Kawasaki triple's with UNI foam pod filters that work FAR better than the K&N's I had before. ie. no more crap building up inside carb bodies. This is essentially what odb describes as the carbs are loaded with oil from the blowback of the piston port two stroke engine.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 76 911s
As with any filter, it depends on the brand.... Foam isn't necessarily bad, but it depends on the brand. For example, I ride Kawasaki triple's with UNI foam pod filters that work FAR better than the K&N's I had before. ie. no more crap building up inside carb bodies. This is essentially what odb describes as the carbs are loaded with oil from the blowback of the piston port two stroke engine.
not two stroke engines in Porsches. See signature for other thoughts.

...morons.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 AM
76 911s
Racer

Originally Posted by ehall
not two stroke engines in Porsches. See signature for other thoughts.

...morons.
You're right, but as I stated in my previous post, the oil in the carbs collects dirt the exact same way a dab of oil in a MAF pipe would.... So who is the real moron here?

Its nice to see constructive comments like yours.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

moron was reserved for others who ALWAYS look for the cheap way out. As I said...see signature.
You clearly haven't been here long enough to get my post.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
moron was reserved for others who ALWAYS look for the cheap way out. As I said...see signature.
You clearly haven't been here long enough to get my post.
How is a popular alternative a cheap way out? Where do you see price being an issue on this thread? Who said anything about cheap? The fact is that the sponge filter is a popular filter, at least with other enthusiasts and an open mind would consider it an alternative to the cone filter which is the most popular on a MAF system, so keep your sarcastic and negative feedback to yourself...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Opeth
Pro

Lightbulb

How many OEM foam filters on automobiles are there?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:34 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Opeth
How many OEM foam filters on automobiles are there?
Good question, how many OEM cone filters are there?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 PM
2bridges
Drifting

so seriously here - before arguing a rediculous position - go do some research...... really

Often foam are used as "pre-filters" for dirt-track type racing - IN ADDITION TO an air filter.
Think about it, do 30 minutes of research, then think again..... then you are allowed to post
Old 03-06-2008, 05:57 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2bridges
so seriously here - before arguing a rediculous position - go do some research...... really

Often foam are used as "pre-filters" for dirt-track type racing - IN ADDITION TO an air filter.
Think about it, do 30 minutes of research, then think again..... then you are allowed to post
dude you take your 951 offroad?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by reno808
dude you take your 951 offroad?
WELLL YAAAAA!

can't even call yourself a man unles you've gone 140+ on a gravel road
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I think thats you jer rock on hommie
Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

here's an article I read, and where I heard about Pipercross a while back

Aftermarket performance air filters are commonly constructed from one of two materials - cotton gauze and foam.

There are benefits of both but typically, when serviced correctly, both will provide more than adequate filtration for any particles likely to increase engine wear (bore wear in particular).

Cotton gauze filters like the K&N mentioned use layers of cotton impregnated with a wicking agent (an oil basically) which is designed to trap dirt particles in the filter without obstructing the air flow.
The cotton is then sandwiched between a gauze mesh to provide rigidity to the filter. The gauze is then pleated to increase the surface area along the grooves, extending the lifespan of the filter before it needs to be removed from the vehicle and cleaned.

Foam filters (not sponge - this is a marine animal) are made from layers of reticulated foam, basically it has a cell-like structure.
The better filters such as those by Pipercross, use multiple layers of this foam to achieve their high level of engine protection and combined with a wicking agent also offer excellent filtration but with the addition of a much longer lifespan than a K&N (or similar).

The benefit of a foam filter over a cotton gauze is that foam is typically cheaper to produce so the costs for the end user are normally lower too. Foam is also easier to clean and re-oil.

As with all filters, regular inspection is a must but with the performance ones above you should expect many many years of trouble free motoring.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:25 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

76 911--

Dude you ride triples?! You must be insane! Those things were rocket coffins. Couldnt stop, couldnt turn but they could GO! I ride old Yamaha RD's and they are scary enough in the power-band.

Quick Reply: Sponge air filter or K&N?