Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

what is a reasonable price to pay for a set of Turbo S rims ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Luis, is the above pictured intake ricey or gawdy? Has it ruined that ultra valuable factory finish of dull metal? I think it is fantastic.

You are using the concourse community as your source of evaluating these wheels. Among the people who like the anodized finish, only concourse-car owners will pay the ridiculous price for those in nice shape. But the VW owners, most of whom are the average thin-walleted person, still pay upwards of a grand or often more for the polished version.

Take a set of CSs in average shape. Route 1, you get them reanodized and maybe can sell them to a rich enthusiast for lots of dough, but how much have you spent on the refinish?

Take the same set of CSs and Route 2 polish them yourself with sandpaper. There are always people looking to buy them and they will gladly pay at least a grand.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 02-28-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people think that gawd awfull plaid **** is valuable too, I would trade an entire perfect interior of that plad crap for 2 green apples

SO those awfull "S" wheels (12 apples) and horid "S Plaid" interior (2 apples) for grand total of 14 green apples.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA - I am crackin me up here
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

LOL that is pretty funny. I don't like the plaid 951S interior either. I think it's called pascha or something.

The CS wheels may not be the prettiest but they are extremely light and fairly wide - at least they serve that purpose.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Take a set of CSs in average shape. Route 1, you get them reanodized and maybe can sell them to a rich enthusiast for lots of dough, but how much have you spent on the refinish?
Arash, you need to broaden your mindset. Porsche wheels are also traded outside California. I couldn't give a polished set of Club Sports away here in Europe. It's not a matter of wealth, it's a matter of taste.

Polished wheels are considered tacky in most markets outside the U.S., VW or not. OTOH, anodized wheels are valued by Porsche enthusiasts around the world for what they are: factory finished wheels. You can like them more or less, but they're worth more around the world than a polished set. This is a fact.

Originality pays in the long run. Go look at some 356s and report back.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've bought four sets of Club Sports and have paid between $500 and $600 for each set. Of course let the beatings begin...I had them powdercoated white and currently only using the 9's on all four corners.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2bridges
people think that gawd awfull plaid **** is valuable too, I would trade an entire perfect interior of that plad crap for 2 green apples

SO those awfull "S" wheels (12 apples) and horid "S Plaid" interior (2 apples) for grand total of 14 green apples.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA - I am crackin me up here
What if you don't like apples?

For enthusiasts sake, the original stuff like that would be great. I would rather have a set of fuchs and a nice single color interior, forget what color. As long as it doesn't scream at me.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:35 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944obscene
What if you don't like apples?

For enthusiasts sake, the original stuff like that would be great. I would rather have a set of fuchs and a nice single color interior, forget what color. As long as it doesn't scream at me.
NO I DO LIKE APPLES - Green ones
Old 02-29-2008, 12:51 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Musheman, no beatings from me - is your 70 mustang modified or valuable? I had a Boss 429 once - God what a beast. I sold it when gas hit $1.00 a gal... been kickin myself ever since...;] Bruce

Other dumb things... traded my 67 mustang GT chrome factory wheels for cheap flag mags- and I remember telling my Dad some of the same stuff I hear lately - cool, "updated", lighter, better than cheap-factory-crap. He just laughed. That was 38 years ago. Things don't change, not really.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:20 AM
959Lover
Racer

com own chillen, les all get alawng
Old 02-29-2008, 03:39 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Arash, you need to broaden your mindset. Porsche wheels are also traded outside California. I couldn't give a polished set of Club Sports away here in Europe. It's not a matter of wealth, it's a matter of taste.

Polished wheels are considered tacky in most markets outside the U.S., VW or not. OTOH, anodized wheels are valued by Porsche enthusiasts around the world for what they are: factory finished wheels. You can like them more or less, but they're worth more around the world than a polished set. This is a fact.

Originality pays in the long run. Go look at some 356s and report back.
A fact? You need to stop generalizing. You're saying that in every market but California, anodized finishes are worth more than polished. But it's not just in California that polished aluminum is appreciated... It depends on the individual. And thank you very much for calling my taste blingy and tacky.

There are countless European users on the VW forum who love polished Porsche wheels and pay a premium for them.

Perhaps you don't realize that the factory finish on my anodized wheels is badly deteriorated? They're nasty now. And I assume that the set eatiles' friend is selling is in similar condition. Go ahead and buy them off me for $1500! Go find me a buyer for my anodized wheels who will pay as much as a buyer for polished ones. I will sell them to that guy, and stand corrected.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 02-29-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Musche
Racer

F18, The Boss is all stock and highly optioned: Grabber Blue, shaker,slats, Magnums, deluxe interior, 8-track, spoilers, rimblow (I giggle when I say that too), etc. Did a full concours resto back in '89. I have thought about selling it but I would have one disappointed 11 year old boy that has visions of tooling around town in a muscle car in a couple of years.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by Musche
currently only using the 9's on all four corners.
Steve, I'd like to see how that looks. Could you post a pic of your car with the 9's on all 4?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Musche
Racer

Not the best pictures..it's snowing like crazy outside.

Last edited by Musche; 01-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
lejams
Pro

Looks great & thanks for posting the pics. I like the 9's on the front better than I thought. I think I'll do this and have the rears widened to the Max for available 16" street tires in a similar tire height to stock.

Good looking car Steve!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Musche
Racer

Many thanks! These pics have 265/45-16 VictoRacers that Tire Rack was blowing out and I thought I'd try them for a change from RA-1's as rain tires/street tires. A little tall for my taste. I like the looks of 245/45 better. We'll see how it handles at VIR in 2 weeks. I have a second set with Hoosier R6's.

Quick Reply: what is a reasonable price to pay for a set of Turbo S rims ???