Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

what is a reasonable price to pay for a set of Turbo S rims ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
cjb3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have 7 of them---so so shape but will have to check----$250

the one that is missing is a rear one.

Cyrus
Charleston WV
Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
cjb3
Rennlist Member

if interested---please email at cjb3@ntelos.net

i see someone tried to private messge but did not work.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
To each his own, but anodized is the true factory finish on the forged wheels and polishing does not make them more valuable. Likewise, many people paint Fuchs centers black but again, anodized is the true factory finish and it's not cheap to have done, either.

Polished is nice but too "bling" and not "Porsche looking" enough for me. But again, to each his own.
You may not know this Luis. 16" Porsche wheels are more valuable in the VW community than in the Porsche community. And I have priced my club sports to be worth about $500 as they are, and about $1000 if they were polished. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:46 AM
959Lover
Racer

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
To each his own, but anodized is the true factory finish on the forged wheels and polishing does not make them more valuable. Likewise, many people paint Fuchs centers black but again, anodized is the true factory finish and it's not cheap to have done, either.

Polished is nice but too "bling" and not "Porsche looking" enough for me. But again, to each his own.
Since when do 951 owners care about keeping something to factory spec? I am from a community that pays TOP DOLLAR for the uglier Porsche wheels because honestly they look better on our cars than on yours.

And when polished they look so much better than that OEM painted/anodized garbage...
Old 02-28-2008, 04:02 AM
Ewok
Advanced

People place way too much importance on factory originality and concours. If you want to win a contest of who drove their car the least, or who modified it the least, then go ahead and have fun with that.

Use your head on what looks better people - on some car colors a polished wheel will clash looks, but overall anodized is ugly/dated. Those polished wheels look great, and I know from experience that it takes a lot of elbow grease to do that.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 959Lover
Since when do 951 owners care about keeping something to factory spec? I am from a community that pays TOP DOLLAR for the uglier Porsche wheels because honestly they look better on our cars than on yours.
Well, more power to you if that's what you like on your VW. I was referring to Porsches, as this is a Porsche 944 Turbo forum, and I stand by what I said: Porsche owners in general who value Club Sports or Fuchs wheels on their cars prefer the factory anodized finish. Porsches are European cars and have enthusiasts around the world, not only in the U.S., BTW.

And Arash, that's not a fair comparison, since a set of Club Sports in perfect condition will fetch every bit as much as a polished set will from a VW enthusiast, if not more. Go ask Wheel Enhancement to price you a set.

There are also "communities" that value 20 inch wheels, ground effects, and 2 foot wings, but that doesn't make these any less tacky on a Porsche IMHO. YMMV.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
well eatiles - since I feel those may be the ugliest factory wheel on the planet I would say they are worth $50 for the set. just one man's opinion
Originally Posted by Van
$1k for a set of "usable but ugly" is probably about right. The rears are much more valuable than the front...
You guys must be talking about the sewer lid wheels, right????????

Club Sports are not ugly, polished or anodized.

One other thing: It seems that most of you guys are into modifications of your cars to the point that if a 944/951 isn't modified, then it's just not worth talking about anymore. Different strokes. I have my '89 in delivery condition and it's going to stay that way. Tell me it wouldn't be a shame to have every stinkin car modified or destroyed that there would never be a fully original car left to gawk at, looking at how the factory did things back in the '80s. I'm not against mod's, on the right car (my Cabriolet was a less than stellar example from the PO, it'll be a heavily modified turbo soon enough), but if a pristine example comes along, I feel it's best to leave it alone. It's worth more that way anyway. Finally, to bring this rant back full circle, there just aren't that many wheels out there that look better on a 944/951 than a Porsche OEM wheel. Now it may be a wheel that didn't come originally on a 4 banger, but Porsche does design some really nice wheels, and IMHO, better than most aftermarket wheels.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

As much as I value anodised Club Sports I like them even better when repainted and varnished to a high standard like mine were. Anodised wheels are just a PITA to maintain.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:22 PM
959Lover
Racer

So to now get this thread back on topic fully (Thanks SeaCay), I emailed WheelEnhancement and they quoted me $2,400 for a set of refinished 8's and 9's. Some may say that is not a reasonable price (like I), but taking into consideration that they are refinished professionally and will be a nice finishing touch to any concours car, that is a price many will be willing to spend and would even consider it reasonable. Now, for a random set, anodized or polished I wouldn't pay that much because i don't have a show car to put them on, nor do I have that sort of money. BUT, I feel a very reasonable price to pay for a well kept set of any finish Clubsport would be around the $600 range much like FRPorscheman already stated.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:34 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

+1 WheelEnhancement does a very nice job and serves the high end of the Porsche community well. Not many folks can produce a steady supply of some of more rare fitments...older 16" Fuchs and the like,

But, for those of us who support our Porsches from the monthly cookie jar, $600 +/- is the target price for a set of workaday 7" and 9" Club Sports. Noowwwwww, 8" Club Sports, that's a different kettle of fish, pricewise.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
2bridges
Drifting

If I had a set - I would trade them for a dozen green apples

they suck

heheheh
Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

If I had a set - I would trade them for a dozen green apples

they suck

heheheh
Dam bro that was harsh lol. Get the Package yet?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by reno808
Dam bro that was harsh lol. Get the Package yet?
Nope - you figure out how to boot the laptop yet LOL
Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Nope - you figure out how to boot the laptop yet LOL
lol i havnt recv it yet lol. But ill call you. btw Sat you should be hearing from me. I finally got a FREAKING Trailer. I think i will be buying a trailer SOOOOOOOOON. If you hear anything please let me know.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:58 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

I like the originals and anodized, not polished, but that's just my opinion. I think Porsche has been guilty of releasing some really ugly OEM wheels like the Cookie Cutters, Teledials, Crab Claws etc but the ones we're talking of here are quite sedate compared to those and don't offend me nearly as much. I also think the Sewer Lids looked ok on the 928 too. So what, just an opinion.

Quick Reply: what is a reasonable price to pay for a set of Turbo S rims ???