Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Alt belt won't stop slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
nsyr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alt belt won't stop slipping

This happens when I first start the car or when I put the headlights on. I replaced the altenator and ps pump belt but if there is any extra load on the alternator it starts sqealing. I have replaced the ground cables as well. I even tried belt dressing. With no extra load it's fine but if it's cold and I apply breaklights at idle it starts again. Needless to say I need some ideas....
Old 02-25-2008, 07:57 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok after making sure you have the belt tensioned enough, take a look and make sure the upper mounting bolt in your AC is still there...

Don't ask how I know.

Same symptoms as yours that went on for MONTHS. I would buy a new belt and crank it up tight and that would last for a while then SQUEEEEEL it would go.

IPSC
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IPSC
Ok after making sure you have the belt tensioned enough, take a look and make sure the upper mounting bolt in your AC is still there...

Don't ask how I know.

Same symptoms as yours that went on for MONTHS. I would buy a new belt and crank it up tight and that would last for a while then SQUEEEEEL it would go.

IPSC
I won't ask how you know, because I know the same thing.

Check it! IPSC is probably right.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Yep. That's where my money would go if the belt is good and tight enough.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
nsyr
Advanced

Ok, I checked the bolts and everything is there. The belt did loosen up some from when I installed it, so I retightened it and it is holding for now. I guess I will see how long it lasts.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:46 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You know you can't actually see the AC bolt in question without the car on a lift, right? It is in the back and above the compressor.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both of my bolts snapped. The only thing holding my compressor on was the adjustment rod.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM
nsyr
Advanced

I got underneath the car to check it. I unbolted the adjustment rod from the compressor and it was still bolted down firmly. I was never able to use the a/c because of the belt. Now that I tightened it, it is holding with the a/c on.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by azbanks
Both of my bolts snapped. The only thing holding my compressor on was the adjustment rod.
HOLY CRAP ! ! ! what caused that?

Originally Posted by nsyr
I got underneath the car to check it. I unbolted the adjustment rod from the compressor and it was still bolted down firmly. I was never able to use the a/c because of the belt. Now that I tightened it, it is holding with the a/c on.
What type of belt are you using by the way? I went through multiple Dayco belts as that was what the local auto parts place had before I bought one online. I will look at the brand as I have the car up on Jackstands at the moment.

IPSC
Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nsyr
Was the turnbuckle too loose?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
nsyr
Advanced

Apparently the belt had stretched a bit. When I first put it on I made sure it was tight enough. I don't remember the brand. I got it from the FLAPS. It was the more expensive one they had. Since yesterday I have had no issues with it. Thanks everyone for the input.

Quick Reply: Alt belt won't stop slipping