Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Automatic tuning software anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:28 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic tuning software anyone?

With all of the smart software guys out there, it seems to me that someone would have come up with a chip or piggy back software that would allow it to "learn" the car and make adjustments to the maps for at least AFR automatically. Since all that is required on the SMT-6 is to log some driving, see where it's off and make corrections, this seems like it would not be that difficult. A wideband O2 sensor in addition to or as a replacement for the factory sensor would be necessary, but other than that I don't see any big problem. Maybe the volume of sales on 951's just isn't high enough to justify the programming time?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe tough on a piggyback, the SMT6 is a great unit but not like a full standalone. There are a number of standalones that do this "autotune" already. However having experienced using one of them I would rather just log and adjust myself...doesnt take too long to do.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:44 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The factory DME has a closed loop operation, which does exactly what you want.

The Latest SMT based PiggyBack which we offer has a closed loop option as well. However we turn it off as it can conflict with the factory closed loop operation.

Closed loop should be limited to idle, PT and light load. You should never rely on a O2 sensor under WOT. For setting the AFR initially O2 readings are important, but not for long term. O2 sensors do fail, if you base your WOT/LOAD tuning on a constant O2 feedback (closed loop under WOT) you will be in trouble. However at Idle & PT, if the O2 sensor fails, the car will run bad, and will not get damaged quickly.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't really thinking that it would work in closed loop. I was thinking that it would just use a "learning mode" to adjust the the AFR by changing the map- just like it's done manually on the PiggyBack. Once the AFR is good, "learning mode would" be turned off and the map would be set. After adjusting the map, the chip would work just as it does now. Like I said maybe it's not worth the trouble since it isn't hard to do it by hand, but if the chip could do it, maybe it could eliminate the need for a piggyback?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Kevin, Now you are talking about adaptive code. It is available with the newer 55-pin DMEs (S2, 964,..), but not on the 951. Regardless, there will always be variations between cars, you can get close enough with the software, but to be 100% you need a PB.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Ahh adaptive code, that's it. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I didn't even know what AFR was 2 years ago

Quick Reply: Automatic tuning software anyone?