puzzled (indicator lights - rv)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default puzzled (indicator lights - rv)

here's something that i've been wondering for ages:

if you leave the indicator on, and turn the car off, it turns off the indicator but turns on the tail light and foglight on that side of the car. what is this for? is it for when you're parked by the side of the road and want people to see the outside edge of your car?

it's only on the 951, eg my old honda didn't do this, and neither does the bmw or the jag in our household.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
dhall615
Instructor

lol you just tought me something new about our cars.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my BMW does the same thing as my 951. I am pretty sure its for if you are broke down at night and need to warn people. Then again, I thought this is what hazzard flashers were for.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC it's called 'Clearance Lights', it's a European parking law thing. Something to do with parking on narrow dark streets, you set the signal to the side of the car exposed to the street, so that other drivers see your car and can avoid it. It's supposed to be a low voltage setting, as not to drain the battery.

I believe that all European cars do this, it's possible that on some US imports that the feature could of been deleted from the factory (in response to the Jag and BMW not doing this). Try it again in those cars, the vehicle has to be on, turn on the turn signal, then shut down the vehicle leaving the turn signal on.

Simply moving the turn signal to the center will deactivate the lights without having to turn on the car.

This is listed in the Owner's manual to the car. My '83 944 and '86 951 both do this, and it was in the '83 manual that I read about it.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Jusii
Instructor

Correct, this is a feature that is in most of the german cars atleast.

Quick Reply: puzzled (indicator lights - rv)