Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wiring diagram for Euro Fog light conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Opeth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Wiring diagram for Euro Fog light conversion

Does anyone have a diagram for this? Im thinking of swapping out my lights this weekend, any hints or help is appreciated! TIA!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:13 PM
951_for_John
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the Euro fog lights. I had a factory diagram and it showed the wires in the front bumper for the driveing lights, but, I have not been able to find them. IIRC the lights come on with the high beams, and are not switched from inside the car.

the other option I was considering is to put in a relay at the fuse box and run battery power to the lights, on my 86 there is an empty spot for the relay and it gets a signal when the high beams come on.

I bought a "kit" to power the lights , but all it included was some wire and connectors to splice into the headlight high beams directly, and as I want to run 100w bulbs in the driving lights I will need to run them on a seperate citcuit

I'm interested to know if the factory circuit is really there or is the deleted on the U.S. cars?

John
Old 02-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Hmm. So even in the STOCK form from the factory, the driving lights only come on with the high beams are on? I have thought about this option before.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the driving lights had their own switch next to the foglight switch?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:26 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

I have them. They are wired through TWO switches, one is enabled with the sidelights, so it comes on as soon as the rotary headlight switch is in either the center or the fully-clockwise position.

Then the OTHER part of the Euro Fogs (the main beam part) is enabled through a SECOND foglight switch, and relay-fed from the original main 'bright' beams. As a result, the work for "pull-to-flash" and when the main brights are turned on ('push' the turn signal stalk).

Keith
Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 PM
951_for_John
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my car the relay position in the fuse box for the Driving lights gets power to one terminal when the highbeams are switched on, this is the signal to the relay, there is no switch in the dash, and there is no power to the relay position for the lamps. I do not know if there are wire to these positions or not, I'll look tomorrow as I plan to do some other work on the car then.

The fog lamp part in my car works through the headlight and fog light switch in the dash, and they will come on with the side lights or the headlight low beams when the fog switch is on.

it seems how the lights are wired from the factory would depend on the market the car was to be sold in and the lighting laws in that market

Here in CA you are allowed three sets of lights.
1 The headlights, with high and low beams.
2 Fog lamps, that have to be wired so they only come on with the low beams
3 Driving lamps, that have to be wired so they only come on with the high

The flash to pass feature on my car will only work when the headlights AND the fog lamp switch are
in the off position, only then it will flash the fog lamp part of the light.

John.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Default Fog Lamp INstallation Doc

Here is a great write-up on the installation of euro fog lamps and how to keep the functionality intact such as flash to pass.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Fog Light installation.doc (33.5 KB, 435 views)

Quick Reply: Wiring diagram for Euro Fog light conversion